Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/20/2011 10:33:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/20/2011 10:38:00 PM EDT by Scratch45]
I am super pissed and upset. I went to the local pizza joint tonight for a meeting (cub scout leader meeting). Us Scout leaders were there from 6:00pm to 8:00pm. After the meeting I went to my car to find it had been broken into. The low life's had stolen my 20 year old NAVY issue foul weather jacket (memories...) and my bug out bag. I am upset about both. I mean, I out togethor my BOB over about a year several years ago.

Missing:
Maxpediton bag and 4 attached pouches (approx $200)
REI Tent: (approx $200)
Jet boil (approx $90)
Katydyn water filter (approx $90)
pretty good first aid kit I had put togethor.
and many other minor items... little things like a swiss army knife with digital altimeter my wife got me years ago, a buck knife folder my dad gave me ten years ago....
PRobably 500 worth of stuff. Grrrr!

I am pretty upset, lot of stuff in there that will take some time and effort to replace. I was good with that bag for at least three days. I was ready for earthquake or zombies or whatever. Now I am back at square one and it is going to take a while to replace....

And, I am the guy who posted about catching someone breaking into my neighbors truck a few weeks ago, and stopped the loser. Where is the KARMA?
On the cup is half full side, I am glad I did not keep any kind of 'truck gun' in there.

Thought I was pretty low profile, 20 year old Honda Civic with nothing in plain sight. I am pissed, never had anything stolen from me before. I used that BOB at least 8 or 9 times year, all my camping trips with the guys or the family.

Can anyone make me feel better?

I guess I have a project to make an awesome BOB (again)...
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 10:37:00 PM EDT
Just be glad you didn't lose a gun
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 10:38:30 PM EDT
Any chance it was stolen by someone who has seen it before? Was it visibly "expensive"? and where was it? in the back seat? why not in the trunk?
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 10:39:44 PM EDT
IT was out of sight - in the trunk. ZERO chance it was seen by anyone before the break in. OPSEC is my mantra.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 10:40:19 PM EDT
always keep that shit covered...time to start another
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 10:42:43 PM EDT
That sucks.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 10:43:03 PM EDT
So someone broke into your car, to get into the trunk to steal a bug out bag. I'm sorry but what are the chances? You should do inventory of people who know about it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 10:43:07 PM EDT
Try and imagine the look of disappointment on their faces when they dig into that shit.

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 10:43:26 PM EDT

Didn't you just chase the guy off that was breaking into your neighbor's vehicle and the majority here told you that you should have held him for police?

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 10:46:20 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Mech2007:

Didn't you just chase the guy off that was breaking into your neighbor's vehicle and the majority here told you that you should have held him for police?

You have your facts right, except the minority said I shoulda called the cops.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 10:46:27 PM EDT

The plot thickens!!!

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 10:48:30 PM EDT
Not a random occurrence unless it was visible and screamed expensive. One of your pals isn't your pal.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 10:49:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/20/2011 10:53:31 PM EDT by SIRIUS1]
Originally Posted By Scratch45:
IT was out of sight - in the trunk. ZERO chance it was seen by anyone before the break in. OPSEC is my mantra.

Cameras at the Pizza Hut? Watch Craigslist for your items., you would be surprised how fast stolen stuff goes up for sale there, very often it is the same night.

Booby trap your next bag. Just mulling over all the options should make you feel a little better.

ETA: Not that it had anything to do with your current issue but you should've called the police on the last burgular you encountered.

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 10:49:23 PM EDT

Well, I'm not going back to count votes.

Any chance it could be the same guy who recognized your car, wanted to pay you back, and got lucky? Do you garage your car at home or is it kept where visible?

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 10:49:32 PM EDT

DAY 1
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 10:50:40 PM EDT
This was miles from my house. Are you suggesting that KARMA bit me because I stopped a crime, but did not call the cops? You think it was the same person? THere are over 200,000 that live in my town, think it was the same low life? Sadly, my town is rife with low life meth heads. I need to move.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 10:54:51 PM EDT

Any chance it could be the same guy who recognized your car, wanted to pay you back, and got lucky? Do you garage your car at home or is it kept where visible?

I always garage my car, that guy never saw my car and was all messed up on drugs. Probably did not even know where he was. I think who ever it was got lucky. No one knows about my BOB, and it was not visible.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 10:55:40 PM EDT
Thief ––- "Goddamn it What the fuck is this shit?? Where be the puff daddy Cd's?? Alright that's the last goddamn time I rob some one who is really into zombie movies and Red dawn!! "
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 10:56:21 PM EDT
This was miles from my house. Are you suggesting that KARMA bit me because I stopped a crime, but did not call the cops? You think it was the same person? THere are over 200,000 that live in my town, think it was the same low life? Sadly, my town is rife with low life meth heads. I need to move.

Well, I'm not into the whole karma thing, but it does make me wonder if its the same guy.

Do you have any distinctive bumper stickers, paint, or body damage that he could have recognized? I'd be concerned about him watching your house.

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 10:58:52 PM EDT

I always garage my car, that guy never saw my car and was all messed up on drugs. Probably did not even know where he was. I think who ever it was got lucky. No one knows about my BOB, and it was not visible.

Probably just a coincidence then.

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 11:00:10 PM EDT
Honestly, I think this was a co-incedence. Nondescript 20 year old car, no bumper stickers. The car theif I stopped never saw my car, or knew what house I lived in. Separate incidents, I am sure
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 11:00:54 PM EDT
A couple of years ago my car was broken into (I left my gps on the window [stupid, I know. Learned the hard way]) and the guy went through my trunk as well. I don't think it was somebody targeting OP, just what criminals do.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 11:01:11 PM EDT
Honestly, I think this was a co-incedence. Nondescript 20 year old car, no bumper stickers. The car theif I stopped never saw my car, or knew what house I lived in. Separate incidents, I am sure

Or karma.

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 11:04:09 PM EDT

Or karma.

LOL

I guess. I just know I am pissed. NEver had anything stolen before, and I did not realize how much that bag meant to me. Serious piece of mind came with it. Money is tight now-a-days and it will be difficult to replace. We better not have an earthquake or zombies for the next few months...
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 11:05:57 PM EDT

Or karma.

Karma for what?
For stopping a wood be thief from burglarizing his neighbors truck?
For doing something when most sheeple would have gone about their business?
For taking action and being a SOLID neighbor?

You sound ridiculous.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 11:06:46 PM EDT
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but didn't you just let that guy go who was breaking into your neighbors car?

Karma suggests that the same guy broke into your vehicle.

Sorry your stuff got stolen, especially the things that hold sentimental value.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 11:08:47 PM EDT
Originally Posted By maleante:
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but didn't you just let that guy go who was breaking into your neighbors car?

READING IS FUNDAMENTAL

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 11:11:25 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Sig54:

READING IS FUNDAMENTAL

What's your point?

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 11:13:38 PM EDT

Or karma.

Karma for what?
For stopping a wood be thief from burglarizing his neighbors truck?
For doing something when most sheeple would have gone about their business?
For taking action and being a SOLID neighbor?

You sound ridiculous.

You sound stupid. Did you miss the wink emoticon? Even if you missed my saying that I don't believe in karma in a previous post? Then you have the nerve to tell someone else that READING IS FUNDAMENTAL?

At least the OP got it, even if it went over your head.

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 11:15:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/20/2011 11:17:14 PM EDT by Mech2007]

READING IS FUNDAMENTAL

What's your point?

That he's a typical low post count internet commando jerkoff.

ETA - 124 posts in 3-1/2 years? Just some nutless wonder's troll account.

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 11:17:15 PM EDT
Hey, this is Scratch45's thread, we are crying in my beer here.....
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 11:19:10 PM EDT

lol.

At least Black Friday is coming up... maybe you could replenish what was lost at a cheaper price?
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 11:20:25 PM EDT
INdeed! I totally need to change my Christmas wish list to... things I already had a few hours ago.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 11:26:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/20/2011 11:27:32 PM EDT by Mech2007]

You're right.

I sort of know how you feel. About six months ago we got our cheapie GPS stolen from the console of our car in the driveway. Wife had forgotten to lock it.

It was only $100, but what really bugged me was that someone was in my yard in the middle of the night trying door handles.

Cop said it was probably some local douche kid and his meth head GF who had been doing it around town lately. Even showed me surveillance photos of them from a local drug store.

Up went the motion sensor lights.

I feel bad for you losing all that stuff.

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 11:32:55 PM EDT
Fuck, OP where the fuck do you live, South Central LA??? Thats a LOT of theft drama for one month...

Sorry for your luck, man.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 11:36:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/20/2011 11:38:19 PM EDT by Scratch45]
Your telling me! MOre dram of this sort in the last month than my entire life. And I have lived in the same house for seven years. Makes my head spin! Pretty high density, working class neighborhood/city. People prowl neighborhoods for easy targets. I need to move somewhere more rural.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 11:43:26 PM EDT

Your telling me! MOre dram of this sort in the last month than my entire life. And I have lived in the same house for seven years. Makes my head spin! Pretty high density, working class neighborhood/city. People prowl neighborhoods for easy targets. I need to move somewhere more rural.

Right there with ya. Its all goin to hell in a handbasket, nowhere is immune to this shit anymore. Definitely going to get tbe fuck out of tbe city as fast as possible.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 11:47:03 PM EDT
Originally Posted By MustardTiger:

Right there with ya. Its all goin to hell in a handbasket, nowhere is immune to this shit anymore. Definitely going to get tbe fuck out of tbe city as fast as possible.

You speak truth
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 11:49:17 PM EDT
Sucks.

Lost mine along with a stereo in Ft. Worth, it sucks, but I improved on it and put together a better kit.

It was odd telling the detective what was in the kit.

"HOW many rounds of .40?"

I was new to the concept and thought I could shoot my way into anything I'd need
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 12:00:15 AM EDT
That is funny.. THanks for cheering me up
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 12:16:34 AM EDT
Things locked in vehicles are not secure. Plan accordingly.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 12:17:18 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Casimir_Pulaski:
Just be glad you didn't lose a gun
Ditto on that. A at the local range went to the range, and stay until closing 12am. Went home and left his gun in his car, he car was stolen that night along with his gun. Moral of the story, always put your gun in your car last, and remove it first. A hard lesson to learn.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 12:20:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/21/2011 12:26:10 AM EDT by Scratch45]
Originally Posted By MadProfessor:
Things locked in vehicles are not secure. Plan accordingly.

Well, if your going to have a BOB, makes no sense not to keep it with you. ANd if it going to be a decent one, it will have a few goodies that are kinda expensive, not to mention the pack itself. I accept that risk, but loosing it does not make me any happier.

But please share any ideas on planning accordingly you might have...

Link Posted: 11/21/2011 12:45:43 AM EDT
On the theme of losing things and being angry, I lost my entire CD collection years ago while I was at the car wash. I took everything out, including the floor mats, and sat them next to the vacuum before dropping my quarters. I had been at the beach so I was really working to get the sand out of the carpet. I finish my cleaning and as I am driving towards the exit I instinctively reach for my CD case. Its not there. I stop the car and give the inside another once over looking for the case before popping the trunk. Its gone. I look around the vacuum and even poke through the trash cans! Nothing. Its then I remember seeing the piece of shit on the opposite side eye-balling my shit. My mind had been elsewhere as I put the floor mats back in and totally overlooked the other items. Completely my fault, but I was still angry.

Before that I had a new 98 TJ with a soft top. My step-dad told me not to keep anything inside the Jeep that I don't mind getting stolen. At first I thought that was a stupid thing to say, but as I mulled it over it made plenty good sense. The only items I left in there full time were recovery straps and some shackles along with a fire extinguisher. My friend had heard the same thing but chose to ignore it. Someone cut his window to steal his radio and CD's. What was frustrating is that A: the door was unlocked and B: even if it was locked they could have unzipped the window from the outside to gain entry. People suck.

To get back to your woes, even though you think you are keeping a low profile you are doing it with the wrong car! Honda Civics are a huge target to thieves. Often they are owned by younger people who cram them full of stereo systems, CD's, portable electronics, things that are easily stolen and easily sold later. The small items like that are harder to trace. Also the older cars are stolen completely since they are a source of parts that is easier to sell since Civics were sold in such huge numbers. I am not sure what you could do differently to make it not appear to be of interest to anyone, aside from the dead prostitute in the back seat....

Here is the NICB's list of the most-stolen cars, pickups, minivans and SUVs during 2010:

1. 1994 Honda Accord
2. 1995 Honda Civic
3. 1991 Toyota Camry
4. 1999 Chevrolet full-size pickup
5. 1997 Ford F-150 pickup
6. 2004 Dodge Ram pickup
7. 2000 Dodge Caravan
8. 1994 Acura Integra
9. 2002 Ford Explorer
10. 1999 Ford Taurus
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 12:55:30 AM EDT
Had my car broken into a few weeks ago. Went in to grab a bite and came out to find my driver's side car doors wide open. Looks like he used something to crack the window open by forcing it down; it was just enough to get some wire contraption through (which he abandoned by the car) which looks like it was meant to press the electronic lock button on the door. A few things inside were moved. Nothing was missing, not even my nice old pair of Bushnell binoculars or my cell phone charger. Even left the change I keep in the car. Trunk was closed, though. Trunk can't be opened from inside my car. If I had a BOB or gun in my car the trunk would be where I keep it. My car is also non-descript. Got lucky, I suppose, although there really wasn't much of value in the car. Thief was probably disappointed. Heck, even my stereo is stock and looks busted up (which it is; it doesn't work properly, either). I'm actually surprised someone even made the effort.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 1:07:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/21/2011 1:07:50 AM EDT by warlord]
Sorry about the loss.

Some one broke into my SIL's car parked downtown Los Angeles, and stole an old pair of stinky tennis shoes she uses for work around the family's apartment complex. She had to spend $100 to get the trunk lid fixed.

BTW: Never leave anything of valuable in plain sight. I always have a black towel or some black clothe, and use that to cover stuff because I have one of the those minivan where everything is visible. Usually black is matches the shadows etc, and it makes it harder to see things, but if someone breaks in to actually check to see what you got that then you are FUBARred.

I also don't store the expensive equpiment in my vehicle, I have a lot of PRC-made stuff in my GHB, adequate, but not great for this very purpose, if it gets "purloined" no biggie.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 1:18:24 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Rudolf_Diesel:
Not a random occurrence unless it was visible and screamed expensive. One of your pals isn't your pal.

Probably this. The coat has t be the worst of it, can't replace memories.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 1:31:45 AM EDT
I am pretty positive it is not a pal who is not my pal. I do not have any friends.

I miss my coat.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 1:37:23 AM EDT
I know we aren't a third worl country/dictatorship .. but I seriously wouldn't mind thieves over the age of 18 having their hand cut off.

I fucking HATE thieves with a passion!

That sucks OP
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 2:02:26 AM EDT
I am still pissed, but warming up to the idea of putting togethor a new kit
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 2:10:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By GC7:
So someone broke into your car, to get into the trunk to steal a bug out bag. I'm sorry but what are the chances? You should do inventory of people who know about it.

Yep, I agree with this.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top