Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2001 9:03:17 PM EDT
Here is an idea I'd like to float out there:

Any PA members, or others from say NY, NJ, DE, MD, etc,  that want and can to get together somewhere in the middle of PA, at somebody's house maybe, and then car pool to  Illinois. We could also maybe stop on the way and pick up a few members too.

Also, we also might rent a (mini?)van to travel easier(DavidC, you have a van right? maybe we could use that?), depending on the people that want to go, and the people capacity of the cars available.

The reasoning behind this is:

-We'd save a lot on gas and a lot on wear and tear on the cars(esp. if we rent a van)
-Since it is a 15 hour/850 mile trip, we could take turns driving, and reduce the risk of accidents.

Anybody want to do it?

(The people from surrounding states could also drive to the nearest PA member, leave their car there, and hitch a ride to the meeting point)

Of course there is the issue of guns and ammo and equipment, but that could be solved if/when we get this idea rolling.

Edited to add:

The earlier we get started, the better the planning and organization will go.

Also, it doesn't have to be one car/van. i figure we could have like a caravan all the way to Illinois if we have more people, esp. if we stop along the way to join up with other members, such as in Ohio, Indiana, etc
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 4:50:29 PM EDT
[#1]
BTT!
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 5:07:06 PM EDT
[#2]
If I do go, this would be the way to do it. I'm not sure if I can make it yet, but should know within a month or so. There are a bunch in this neck of the woods, I don't see why we couldn't make it work.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:25:06 PM EDT
[#3]
can i jump in here and throw out the same offer to those in AZ, NM, TX, and OK (i think i got the abbreviations right).  
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:33:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, A bunch of people in a mini van going down the turnpike with a AR visible in every window. It'll take you a week to get there with all the time you'll spend on the side of the road.  [:D]
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 9:28:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Pretty sure DavidC will be riding out with me...

His van needs a motor I think...

Between David and I, we will probably have the Suburban near full capacity with guns and ammo...

God help us if we get pulled over by Ohio State Police...

They will search and sieze everything...
Every time I go through Ohio, I see people pulled over by OSP, with thier belongings dumped onto the roadway...
Commie state indeed...
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 9:29:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Art -

Does the 'burb have a hitch?  I was thinking that it might pay to rent a small U-haul trailer (enclosed, lockable) so that we could travel with firearms and ammo locked away from each other.

And there is a possibility that I might have the big van (full-size 3/4 ton conversion) back on the road by late winter (looking for a motor and trans now) so we could always caravan with multiple vehicles.  

Let's keep in touch about the possibilities.

Link Posted: 12/20/2001 10:09:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Every time I go through Ohio, I see people pulled over by OSP, with thier belongings dumped onto the roadway...
Commie state indeed...
View Quote

Oh please.... I've lived here all my life, been stopped many times w/ guns in the my vehicles and I've [b]never[/b] had a problem.  Ohio is class 3 friendly, and if it weren't for our damned communist governor we'd have CCW.  BTW - open carry is still legal in Ohio!

Link Posted: 12/20/2001 8:10:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Commie state indeed...
View Quote

Oh please.... I've lived here all my life, been stopped many times w/ guns in the my vehicles and I've [b]never[/b] had a problem.  Ohio is class 3 friendly, and if it weren't for our damned communist governor we'd have CCW.  BTW - open carry is still legal in Ohio!

View Quote

Try putting an out of state tag on your vehicle...
THEN, tell me how you're treated by OSP...
Don't even get me started about those bastards...I spent a few hours alongside the road there myself...presumed guilty of "something", until the drug dog   came, sniffed my truck, and said ok you're free to go...

I've been across that state SEVERAL times, and EVERY time I've seen peoples shit piled behind thier cars while 3 state cops dig through it...

Next time through, I'll be sure to take pictures, and post them here...
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 8:24:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Last time I drove west across Ohio there must have been 35 OSP cars in the first 10 miles of I-70 coming from West Virginia. They were all out there pulling over trucks to "inspect."

Didn't see another OSP car until I was driving back through Ohio on I-80 at ~ 4 AM, when four cars came up behind me, lights off, at ~ 80 MPH. Fortunately my V1 had spotted them about 5 minutes before they reached me so I was cruising at about 2 MPH over the limit when they came by me.

Link Posted: 12/20/2001 8:27:27 PM EDT
[#10]
[b]Honk if you've never seen a dozen guns pointed at you![/b] [BD}

I'll be going up from GA, but I'll be staying with my sis in St. Louis, so I'll drive alone and save y'all's sanity. [BD]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 7:37:09 AM EDT
[#11]
BTT!

Any more interest?

And can a mod move this to the new forum?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top