Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2006 12:37:54 PM EDT
Drudge is reporting as follows:

XXXXX DRUDGE REPORT XXXXX WED JAN 18, 2006 09:06:32 ET XXXXX

STUDIO EXECS PREFER 'BROKEBACK' OVER 'MUNICH'; SPIELBERG SAID DISPLEASED

**Exclusive**

As the first wave of Oscar voting closes, a sibling rivalry between films at UNIVERSAL has turned sour.

The enthusiastic backing of BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN by UNIVERSAL chief Stacey Snider has come at the expense of MUNICH, a top source involved with the Steven Spielberg drama tells the DRUDGE REPORT.

"Stacey and her team believe BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN is their winner this year," claims a well-placed insider. "The movie has been spoiled, spoiled and spoiled again, with endless promotion and support. MUNICH, on the other hand, has been horribly neglected. Steven has been thrown in the backseat. It has been painful."

MORE

Tensions flared further with news that BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN passed MUNICH at the boxoffice in total receipts!

BROKEBACK has been far more profitable, costing only $14 million to make, while pulling in $34 million so far in domestic sales. While MUNICH cost $70 million, with a $33 million return.

MORE

A UNIVERSAL source strongly denies a BROKEBACK preference at the studio.

UNIVERSAL President Ron Meyer is said to be MUNICH's top advocate and supporter, calling it a masterpiece.

"We are behind the movie 1000%, and strongly believe it has a great shot at winning Oscars," says the studio source.

"More money has been spent on TV advertising [for MUNICH]."

Hollywood players watched Spielberg's polite reaction as Ang Lee's controversial western won award after award Sunday evening during the nationally televised GOLDEN GLOBES.

But behind the scenes, a quiet anger has developed over the handling of MUNICH during the award season run-up.

"She says she loves all of her children equally, but Stacey [Snider] and her team have given every priority to BROKEBACK," charges the MUNICH source. "Gay romance is easier to sell to the academy than a complex study of an Israeli assassin."

Developing...

I think it is interesting that these Oscar contending movies have in common that they are both offensive to traditional America.  One of course reject traditional sexual mores, and the other rejects America's traditional foreign policy (kicking ass).  I guess the Oscar race is like the Nobel Peace Prize or the Pullitzer:  whoever hates America the most, wins.

And they wonder why box office revenues have been down?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:39:56 PM EDT
[#1]
BROKEBUTT MOUNTAIN! I GET IT! LOLOLOLORZ

THAT IS TEH FUNNIEST THING EVAR  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:43:43 PM EDT
[#2]
i didn't think munich was that bad, it was sort of a 'futility of war' sort of thing.

but apparently in brokebutt mountain if teh gheyer character was pursuing a woman he'd be a sexual predator.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:48:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
i didn't think munich was that bad, it was sort of a 'futility of war' sort of thing.

but apparently in brokebutt mountain if teh gheyer character was pursuing a woman he'd be a sexual predator.  

What? Did you actually go see Buttfuck Mountain?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:50:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What? Did you actually go see Buttfuck Mountain?

nein!!  that's what the interweb is for.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:52:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm so relieved!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:53:39 PM EDT
[#6]
What are you guys afraid you'll get turned on and then have to shoot yourselves?

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:00:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh, homo on the Range, where the deer and the antelope watch....
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:03:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Brokeback Munich, where a Jewish and a Palestinian sheepherder met in a snow-covered German town...
much to the relief of the sheeps.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:06:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I wanna know why someone would rather see butt-ramming cowboys than terrorists being exploded.....
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:08:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Munich was a good film.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:24:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Munich didn't have an anti-war theme that I could see. It was more a story about a guy who kicks ass on terrorists for a living, ends up being hunted by them (or so he thinks) and doesn't know who's on his side anymore, and finally becomes paranoid over his own safety. It seemed pretty logical to me. I don't think it had an anti-war theme at all.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:27:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I wanna see butt-ramming cowboys than terrorists being exploded.....

fixed it for you
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:29:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Munich was a good movie, I love Israel's policy on terrorism: kill them all.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:39:24 AM EDT
[#14]
munich was better than i thought it'd be, a LOT better, but it was still a whiny pacifist hollyweird propaganda flick. and it had it's anti-american side as well...wtf was the deal with "stupid" american athletes helping the terrs over the fence??? did anyone report this??? has anyone documented this as factual??? and the whole thing with the cia cockblocking them was assinine. and the idea of this mysterious freelance intel group with info on EVERYONE in the frigging world that's been around for generations was just ridiculous beyond belief... plus, this hit squad was the most incompetent bunch of boobs ever assembled! it was like watching the three stooges run around...actually, this could easily have been turned into a comedy, they were so incompetent. just totally unrealistic...and the hit on the dutch hitwoman was unnecessarily graphic (although she had nice tits, that was nice to see). i enjoyed the rags getting whacked as well.

so, why did spielberg choose a discredited novel to base this flick on? wouldn't it have been just as good if he'd stuck to the facts?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:47:51 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Ok. THAT was funny.

How long before an ARFCOM member revises the lyrics of "Home on the Range" to reflect the story demonstrated in Brokeback mountain???
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:02:12 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok. THAT was funny.

How long before an ARFCOM member revises the lyrics of "Home on the Range" to reflect the story demonstrated in Brokeback mountain???

what, like this?

oh give me a homo
where they do the buffalo hump
and the gay deer and the antelope watch

where seldom is heard
a heterosexual word
and there's squealing and squishing all day...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top