BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/8/2007 12:15:10 PM EDT
www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8QT21FO0&show_article=1

State of Emergency Possible in Pakistan

Aug 8 03:58 PM US/Eastern

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan (AP) - The government of President Gen. Pervez Musharraf is not ruling out imposing a state of emergency because of "external and internal threats" to Pakistan and deteriorating law and order in the volatile northwest near the Afghan border, a spokesman said Thursday.
Tariq Azim, minister of state for information, said Pakistani media reports that Musharraf would soon declare an emergency were unconfirmed, but he added that the possibility had been discussed and that "no firm decision has yet been taken."

"These are only unconfirmed reports although the possibility of imposition of emergency cannot be ruled out and has recently been talked about and discussed keeping in mind some external and internal threats and the law and order situation," he told The Associated Press.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 12:17:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Is Obama their external threat?
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 12:18:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Tag for more info.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 12:19:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Tag for more info.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 12:19:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I predict the Paki's Nuclear arsenal will be in Terrorist hands within the year, and mushroom clouds over the US shortly after!!
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 12:20:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

LOL

I *am* wondering what thet external threat might be though. They've got enough problems internally.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 12:20:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Would it not be extremely ironic that all this while, we've got our attention focused on Iran, Syria, the entire ME and Russia....and if the SHTF in Paksitan they move to the top of the list pronto.

HH
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 12:20:43 PM EDT
[#7]
LAUNCH ALL MISSILES!!! w00t!

[dancing banana dude]

Link Posted: 8/8/2007 12:20:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I predict the Paki's Nuclear arsenal will be in Terrorist hands within the year, and mushroom clouds over the US shortly after!!

You watch too much Fox News.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 12:21:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Better watch it... remember what happened right after the assassination of The Lion of Panjshir.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 12:21:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Bad news, but not unexpected news.  I am surprised that Musharaff has lasted this long.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 12:23:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Someone elect Obama already?
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 12:23:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, I watched a History Channel special on the countdown to 2012. The Web_Bots predicted it!!!
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 12:25:34 PM EDT
[#13]
He could possibly be preparing to crack some heads.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 12:26:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Bad news, but not unexpected news.  I am surprised that Musharaff has lasted this long.

Yep, me too.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 12:28:09 PM EDT
[#15]
With all the rocket attacks and suicide bombings happening over there lately, he needs to put an end to that crap soon...
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 12:33:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Much more from Reuters

Pay close attention to the highlighted part...

Pakistani TVs say Musharraf to declare emergency
Wed Aug 8, 2007 4:08PM EDT
Email | Print | Digg | Reprints | Single Page | Recommend (0)
[-] Text [+]

1 of 1Full Size
Featured Broker sponsored link

Free $50,000 Practice Account.
By Zeeshan Haider

ISLAMABAD (Reuters) - Private Pakistani television channels reported on Wednesday that President Pervez Musharraf was preparing to declare a state of emergency imminently, but government spokesmen denied there were any such plans.

State-run Pakistan Television quoted official sources as saying the reports were baseless and Information Minister Mohammad Ali Durrani denied to Reuters that a meeting had been held to discuss the imposition of an emergency, as rumors swept the country.

A member of the inner circle of the Pakistani leadership told Reuters, however, that U.S. ally Musharraf was considering the option, which could allow him to extend the tenure of the national and provincial assemblies by 12 months and delay elections due by the turn of the year.

The government could explain such a step by citing growing insecurity because of the threat posed by Islamist militants allied to the Taliban and al Qaeda after a series of attacks, many of them by suicide bombers, in the past month.

Political analysts and opposition leaders, however, have feared that Musharraf, who is going through his weakest period since coming to power in a 1999 coup, might resort to an emergency because of difficulties he faces in getting re-elected by the sitting assemblies, while still army chief.

"Both internal and external threats are such that you cannot rule out anything. At the moment there is no emergency. We have said that options are available with the government," Deputy Information Minister Tariq Azim Khan told Geo TV, one of the channels reporting that the measure would be announced soon.

The United States has put Musharraf under pressure to act against al Qaeda nests in hostile tribal regions on the Afghan border, such as North Waziristan.

Western countries with troops in Afghanistan are sensitive to any instability in nuclear-armed Pakistan, whose help is crucial to fighting the Taliban insurgency and in counter-terrorism operations against al Qaeda.

SHORT OF SUPPORT

A not-so-secret meeting in Abu Dhabi in late July with former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto, leader of the largest opposition party, to try to agree terms for power sharing was indicative of how desperate Musharraf's position had become.

Musharraf wants to be re-elected in uniform between mid-September and mid-October before national and provincial assemblies are dissolved for parliamentary elections due in December or January.

Although Musharraf can command the simple majority needed to win re-election in the assemblies, he is likely to face multiple constitutional challenges.

The Supreme Court's decision on July 20 to reinstate a chief justice Musharraf had spent four months trying to sack heightened expectations that those challenges could well be upheld.

Musharraf would need a two-thirds majority in the National Assembly to change the constitution, and avoid challenges in the Supreme Court, but for that he would need Bhutto's help.

She wants Musharraf to quit the army and guarantee free and fair elections before she will countenance any deal.

This could simply be a way to sustain Musharraf's leadership.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 12:34:14 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

In a year all of us who have not been banned will be here a year from now bitching about something and predicting the next disaster but another year from then.

However, in no way do I believe the news from Pakistan is good but, at least at this point, seems to be more rumor than fact.

5sub
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 12:37:05 PM EDT
[#18]

A member of the inner circle of the Pakistani leadership told Reuters, however, that U.S. ally Musharraf was considering the option, which could allow him to extend the tenure of the national and provincial assemblies by 12 months and delay elections due by the turn of the year.

The government could explain such a step by citing growing insecurity because of the threat posed by Islamist militants allied to the Taliban and al Qaeda after a series of attacks, many of them by suicide bombers, in the past month.

Political analysts and opposition leaders, however, have feared that Musharraf, who is going through his weakest period since coming to power in a 1999 coup, might resort to an emergency because of difficulties he faces in getting re-elected by the sitting assemblies, while still army chief.

Now that makes some sense.

Might be good for the US if Musharraf stayed around.

5sub
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 12:37:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Here's your Answer......
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 12:45:45 PM EDT
[#20]
This is NOT a tag, I repeat, this is NOT a tag...

That is all, carry on, I'll be in the AO all day.

Link Posted: 8/8/2007 12:47:16 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Much more from Reuters

[snip]

Yes, it could.  Could also make him exceedingly (more) unpopular with the locals.  I don't know enough to say for sure.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 12:54:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Update:

Nevermind.  It was just Barrack Hussein Obama in a rented ultralight
throwing firecrackers...
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 12:55:10 PM EDT
[#23]
this will be interesting to see how it develops
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 12:55:33 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Much more from Reuters

[snip]

Yes, it could.  Could also make him exceedingly (more) unpopular with the locals.  I don't know enough to say for sure.

Yeah. I'd be interested to see if ANdy has any insight into this.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 1:04:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Oh, crap...

Last time the SHTF in the region, someone got asassinated, that would have been in afghanistan right before 9/11.

Time for a preemptive strike, i wonder what India would charge to do it for us?
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 1:24:01 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

You're absolutely correct.  You cannot TAG, so therefore, your attempt at a tag fails.

But, since I can bash you for your failed TAG attempt, it lives on as a TAG, FOR ME!  Muhahahaha!

ETA:  Oh, lookie who gets Page 2...
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 1:26:34 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're absolutely correct.  You cannot TAG, so therefore, your attempt at a tag fails.

But, since I can bash you for your failed TAG attempt, it lives on as a TAG, FOR ME!  Muhahahaha!

ETA:  Oh, lookie who gets Page 2...

I explicitly stated it wasn't a tag, so why must you poop all over it...??

Link Posted: 8/8/2007 1:27:55 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

He sure as shit is the one who stirred up the radicals.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 1:30:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Pakistan: One bullet away from an Islamo-facist nuclear capable country. Scary shit, Mathew!
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 1:30:47 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As opposed to the demonrat's mouthpiece CNN?  According to them, there is no terrorism, etc, blah, blah.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 1:34:17 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Oh, crap...

Last time the SHTF in the region, someone got asassinated, that would have been in afghanistan right before 9/11.

50 camels and a few goats.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 1:36:53 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Oh, crap...

50 camels and a few goats.

I'll bet they would do it cheaper than that.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 1:39:53 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Pakistan: One bullet away from an Islamo-facist nuclear capable country. Scary shit, Mathew!

Yep... Extremely scary.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 1:42:48 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

As opposed to the demonrat's mouthpiece CNN?  According to them, there is no terrorism, etc, blah, blah.

I probably watch about 15 minutes of CNN per week.

CNN=ASSHOLES  (Or the ClintonNewsNetwork)

5sub
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 1:47:48 PM EDT
[#35]
I think everybody should watch CNN (Headline News) between 7 and 8 PM. Glenn Beck's show is on then (replayed at 9 PM too).

(He's on vacation this week though, but his subs are generally good)
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 1:50:57 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

5sub

Well, I didn't say YOU did as I was responding to someone else's post.

15 minutes is about 30 minutes more than I will give them.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 1:54:31 PM EDT
[#37]
India will kick their ass if the islamofascists get control. We'll probably help them do it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 1:55:41 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL

I *am* wondering what thet external threat might be though. They've got enough problems internally.

Terrorists coming from Afghanistan and possibly other places would be my guess.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 1:57:51 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

5sub

I didn't know you were not responding to my post cause I didn't know you were responding to someone else's post and that's why I responded to your post.

5sub
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 1:59:46 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Would it not be extremely ironic that all this while, we've got our attention focused on Iran, Syria, the entire ME and Russia....and if the SHTF in Paksitan they move to the top of the list pronto.

HH

Strategically speaking, Pakistan is, has been and will remain the most dangerous country in the world.

The problem is that our man on the ground, Musharraf is in a predicament, and we have ciultivated no other relatonships in that country.

When he is gone there will be no one left to talk to.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 2:01:51 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

And that group of nutjobs would probably willingly sacrifice their entire country to kill some Americans. Thanfully their missles can't come anywhere near the US, but they would give a nuke to terrorists for certain.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 2:04:20 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

5sub

I didn't know you were not responding to my post cause I didn't know you were responding to someone else's post and that's why I responded to your post.

5sub

Whoa!  I got dizzy reading that.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 3:39:27 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Here's your Answer......

If I'm not mistaken, Slim pickens was flying that B-52.

Link Posted: 8/8/2007 3:51:48 PM EDT
[#44]
WARNING post

I just wonder if we started lobbing in nukes, and asked israel to borrow a few that they dont have, if we could effectively nuke the land of mud huts and unwashed militants from say the syria lebanon border down to iraq and saudi and back up and over iran and afghanistan into pakistan with a quick hop and swing through indonesia.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 3:56:55 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

seriously man ..  must we outsource EVERYTHING ?

Link Posted: 8/8/2007 3:59:31 PM EDT
[#46]
And so it begins...
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 4:02:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Yeah, there is a very real possibility this could get extremely ugly real fast. Maybe this has something to do with AQ's big surprise.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 4:03:54 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
WARNING [>:// post

I just wonder if we started lobbing in nukes, and asked israel to borrow a few that they dont have, if we could effectively nuke the land of mud huts and unwashed militants from say the syria lebanon border down to iraq and saudi and back up and over iran and afghanistan into pakistan with a quick hop and swing through indonesia.
[://

Grab a mirror and check out that roundish thing sitting on top of your neck.  You will note those protrusions on either side ??  Those are called ears.  Between those ears there should be a brain but your appears to be missing.

5sub

You might give Rent-A-Brain a call ......maybe they have some rental returns you could get cheap.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 4:35:55 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
WARNING [>:// post

[://

Grab a mirror and check out that roundish thing sitting on top of your neck.  You will note those protrusions on either side ??  Those are called ears.  Between those ears there should be a brain but your appears to be missing.

5sub

You might give Rent-A-Brain a call ......maybe they have some rental returns you could get cheap.

Although that very reaction will never occur, rent-a-brain states that: in every one of those countires listed a major portion of the populace would like to eliminate the US and the very people living in it based on their faith alone.

PS found what is between your ears,

Now enough pissing matches, grow up.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 4:44:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Paki is a scary thing as you never know who will come next after the General
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top