BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/30/2005 10:12:33 AM EDT
news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=65238

Customs makes massive weapons seizure
Friday Sep 30 07:30 AEST

Customs officers have seized one of the largest quantities of illegal weapons ever discovered in Australia after raiding five properties in Sydney's south.

Customs said its officers raided the premises in the past two days at Hurstville and Riverwood, seizing 449 knives and daggers, 267 replica firearms and 171 electric shock devices, including stun guns.

The cache also included 86 slingshots, 88 bags of slingshot ball-bearings, 75 sword sticks and 10 blowdarts.

The seizure came after Customs intercepted two cartons containing 50 blowpipes and 12 pistol crossbows which were concealed within a sea cargo container carrying display units and novelty goods.

The items had arrived in Sydney after being shipped from Shanghai, China, in August.

"This is a massive amount of weaponry which no longer presents a threat to the Australian community," Customs NSW director David Collins said in a statement.

"These weapons have the potential to cause serious harm in the community."

People importing these types of weapons without permission faced fines of up to $275,000 and up to 10 years' jail, he said.

Charges were likely to be laid in connection with the weapons seizure, Mr Collins said.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:14:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I feel safer already......
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:14:20 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

B

Blowdarts? Replica guns? Stun guns?

Good lord.

I am sure that a lot of their crime is the result of unregistered blowguns.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:14:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Good thing they got those slingshots off the streets.

Gas stations would have been robbed left and right with them otherwise!

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:16:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Them poor saps, whats next?  Straws and spitwads?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:17:45 AM EDT
[#5]

You heard it here first - those weapons were going to get up from their inatimate state and attack the community at large.

Quick, what's the best round for a zombie replica firearm???
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:18:21 AM EDT
[#6]
That's even worse than here

Mark
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:18:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Hell sounds like the supply for the arkansas state fair.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:18:27 AM EDT
[#8]

"This is a massive amount of weaponry which no longer presents a threat to the Australian community," Customs NSW director David Collins said in a statement.

What would they think if the saw my gun room?  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:22:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Good God.....I feel so bad for our Aussie brothers having to put up with this chicken shit.

The land which once supplied the troops to land at Gallipolli, had the fierce ANZACs tearing up the front in Europe....holding the line in North Africa, standing up to the japs...

Reduced to this, a nation afraid of sling shots, knives, and blowdarts.

You guys need to take your nation back....
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:23:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:23:24 AM EDT
[#11]
It sounds like they seized my entire weapons cache.... from when I was Thirteen!!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:23:28 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

They'd have a heart attack if I showed em my 22 and my .38
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:24:05 AM EDT
[#13]
a shipment headed to one of the flea markets here in san antonio?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:24:37 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

B

Blowdarts? Replica guns? Stun guns?

Good lord.

I am sure that a lot of their crime is the result of unregistered blowguns.

Throw in some Jerky and Beanie Babies and you've got a Caliban gun show.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:29:13 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They'd have a heart attack if I showed em my 22 and my .38

Beat me to it!

Seriously though, I feel bad for our brothers in the down under. How do they put up with that crap?

Are bows and arrows banned down there yet? It seemed like there was still a decent sized group of people that were into bow hunting and target archery last I heard.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:31:24 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Them poor saps, whats next?  Straws and spitwads?

It's being debated in committee right now.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:34:07 AM EDT
[#17]
The strange thing is, not all guns are banned in OZ, you can still have handguns and bolt action rifles.
But this is just ridiculous

Mark
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:35:28 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
It sounds like they seized my entire weapons cache.... from when I was Thirteen!!!

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:36:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Massive?!?!

Gotta feel semi sorry for those folks.

Although I don't know exactly how they got to this point - FU government, poor voting choices, outvoted at the polls, etc.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:38:50 AM EDT
[#20]
That's really fucking sad.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:39:36 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Massive?!?!

Gotta feel semi sorry for those folks.

Although I don't know exactly how they got to this point - FU government, poor voting choices, outvoted at the polls, etc.

In all seriousness, this is as good an explaination as any: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=394633
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:40:26 AM EDT
[#22]
good lord.....
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:40:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Sounds like Paul Hogan needs to croc punch some politicians.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:40:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:41:43 AM EDT
[#25]
and 10 blowdarts.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:42:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Pretty soon they won't be able to own a pointy stick.

Poor bastards

GM
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:42:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:42:34 AM EDT
[#28]
I hear those blowguns really, really sting.
As for brass knuckles, they are also illegal in my home state of MD.
Strange that many stores sell brass knuckles marketed as "paper weight"
Poor austrailia.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:43:36 AM EDT
[#29]
There's actually nothing funny to me about that at all.  The Australians have always been really close to us, through war and peace.  We are both kind of the rebel colonies that made good.  It's terribly sad to see them castrated like they have been.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:44:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:48:15 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Weapons banned in teh Australian State of Victoria!

Crime Prevention

Print this Page

Prohibited weapons are weapons that are considered totally inappropriate for general possession or use because they are exclusively offensive in nature. Such weapons cannot be imported, manufactured, sold, possessed or carried.

A person may have access to a prohibited weapon only if she or he has obtained an Approval from the Chief Commissioner of Police, or falls within an Exemption made by the Governor in Council.

The penalties for breeching The Control of Weapons Act 1990 include a fine of up to $12,000 or six months imprisonment.
The following items are prohibited weapons:

1. "Sword", being a thrusting, striking or cutting weapon with a long blade having 1 or 2 cutting edges and a hilt.

2. "Crossbow", being a type of bow fixed transversely on a stock grooved to direct a dart, bolt or arrow and being, in particular:
(a) a "Pistol Crossbow", being a crossbow that is reasonably capable of being carried or concealed about the person and of being raised and discharged by one hand; and

(b) a "General Category Crossbow", being a
crossbow that is not a pistol crossbow.
3. "Flick knife", being a knife designed or adapted so that the blade is concealed when folded or recessed into the handle and which opens by gravity or centrifugal force or by any pressure applied to a button, spring or device in or attached to the handle of the knife.

4. "Dagger", being a sharp pointed stabbing instrument (other than an oyster knife), ordinarily capable of being concealed on the person and having:
a flat blade with cutting edges (whether serrated or not serrated) along the length of both sides; or
a needle-like blade, the cross section of which is elliptical or has 3 or more sides, but not including instruments such as swords or bayonets.

5. "Knuckle knife", being an open or exposed blade or similar instrument attached to a handle that is designed or adapted to be held between the knuckles (including the device commonly known as the "Urban Pal Knife").

6. An article that is designed to include a concealed knife or sword blade, including but not limited to:
a belt or similar article designed or adapted to hold a knife, dagger or similar instrument so that the presence of the knife, dagger or similar instrument is concealed or disguised as part of the belt or similar article when it is worn (for example an article known as the "Bowen Knife Belt");
a "swordstick", being a cane, stick or similar article designed or adapted to hold the blade of a sword so that it is concealed from view until withdrawn from the cane, stick or article;
a riding crop designed or adapted to hold a blade or spike so that it is concealed from view until withdrawn from the crop.

7. "Butterfly knife", being a knife with a 2 piece handle that folds together to cover both edges of the blade whether the blade is serrated or not serrated.

8. "Double-end knife", being a knife that has the appearance of 2 overlapping curved blades joined together so as to form an ellipse shape.

9. A knife that is designed or adapted so that the blade is concealed by a plastic, wooden or metal sheath which retracts into the handle of the knife by gravity or centrifugal force or by any pressure applied to a button, spring or device in or attached to the handle of the knife (including the knife commonly known as the "Black Eagle Knife").

10. "Push knife" or similar device designed as a weapon that consists of a single-edged or multi-edged blade or spike of any material that has a handle fitted transversely to the blade or spike and allows the blade or spike to be supported by the palm of the hand so that stabbing blows or slashes can be inflicted by a punching or pushing action.

11. "Trench knife" or similar device that consists of a single-edged or multi-edged blade or spike of any material that is fitted with a handle made of any hard substance that can be fitted over the knuckles of the hand of the user to protect the knuckles and increase the effect of a punch or blow, or that is adapted for such use.

12. "Throwing blade", being a knife or axe of any material that is designed or modified to be thrown.

13. "Ballistic knife", being a device or instrument designed or adapted to fire or discharge a knife, dagger or similar instrument by mechanical, percussive or explosive means.

14. "Non-metal/ceramic knife", being a knife, blade or spike of which no part is metallic, excluding plastic cutlery.

15. "Blow gun", being a blow pipe or similar device or instrument designed to propel an arrow, dart or similar projectile by air expelled from the mouth.

16. A dart designed to be projected from a blow-gun or similar device.

17. A hunting sling or slingshot designed or adapted to be used with an arm brace which fits or rests on the forearm to support the wrist from the tension of the elastic material used to propel the projectile (including the device commonly known as the "Saunders Falcon Hunting Sling").

18. A catapult, shanghai or hunting sling (without arm brace described in item 16) that is manufactured and intended for commercial distribution.

19. A dart projector (for example, an article commonly known as the "Darchery Dartslinger") or any similar device that is manufactured and intended for commercial distribution.

20. A slingshot that is manufactured and intended for commercial distribution.

21. An article designed or adapted to discharge oleoresin capsicum spray.

22. An article designed or adapted to emit or discharge an offensive, noxious or irritant liquid, powder, gas or chemical so as to cause disability, incapacity or harm to another person.

23. An article designed or adapted to emit an electric current into a human body for the purposes of incapacitation or injury.

24. An acoustic anti-personnel device that is designed to cause permanent or temporary incapacity or disability, or to otherwise physically disorientate a person.

25. "Shark Dart" or any other similar device that is designed to expel, on or after contact, any gas or other substance capable of causing bodily harm.

26. "Extendable baton", being a baton designed or adapted so that the length of the baton extends by gravity or centrifugal force or by any pressure applied to a button, spring or device in or attached to the handle of the baton.

27. "Knuckle-duster", being a device or instrument designed or adapted to be worn across a knuckle or knuckles of the hand, finger, fingers or thumb so as to:
increase the force or impact of a punch or blow when striking another person with that hand, finger, fingers or thumb; or
protect the knuckle or knuckles from injury when striking another person with that hand, finger, fingers or thumb.

28. "Weighted glove", being a glove or any other similar article designed or constructed to be used as a weapon (including a fingerless glove) that has weighted material sown into it to increase the effect of a punch or blow.

29. "Studded glove", being a glove or any other similar article designed or constructed to be used as a weapon (including a fingerless glove), that has a number of raised studs or spikes made of a hard substance and positioned over the back of the glove to increase the effect of a punch or blow.

30. A mace or any other similar article capable of causing injury that consists of a club or staff fitted with a flanged or spiked head, other than a ceremonial mace made for and used solely as a symbol of authority on ceremonial occasions.

31. A flail or any other similar article that consists of a staff or handle that has fitted to one end, by any means, a freely swinging striking part that is armed with spikes or studded with any protruding matter.

32. A whip with metal lashes.

33. A cat o'nine tails with knotted lashes.

34. A hand-held battery-operated article commonly known as a "laser pointer" designed or adapted to emit a laser beam with an accessible emission limit of greater than 1 mW.

35. An article that consists of a baton or stick constructed in such a way that it can be unscrewed or broken so as to form two or more parts joined by chain, rope or cord, including the martial arts weapons known as "Baton-chucks" or "Bo-chucks".

36. A scythe or sickle shaped article designed as a weapon that has a fixed or folding blade, and which may or may not have a chain attached, including the martial arts weapon known as "Kama".

37. An article consisting of a chain, rope or cord with a wooden or metal baton, stick or rod attached at each end, including the martial arts weapons known as "Kasari-Fundo", "Kusari-Fundo" and "Manrikigusari".

38. A stick or rod of any material designed as a weapon to be applied to the pressure points of the human body, including the martial arts weapon known as "Kubotan".

39. An article designed to be attached to, or worn on the hands or feet, that has claws attached, including the martial arts weapons known as "ninja climbing claws", "ninja hand claws" and "ninja foot claws".

40. An article that consists of two sticks, rods or batons joined by a cord, rope or chain including the martial arts weapon known as "Nunchaku".

41. "Sai" or "Jitte", being a short, tapered, metal rod, dull at the point, with flared metal prongs guarding the handle.

42. An article consisting of a curved blade pointed at both ends with a handle attached to the middle, including the martial arts weapon known as "Suan Ywe Gou".

43. An article consisting of a blade or blades with cord, rope or chain attached for the purpose of enabling the blade to be thrown and retrieved, including the martial arts weapon known as "Shoge", "ninja Kyokeysu-Shoge" or "Kyotetsu Shoge".

44. "Throwing star", being a sharpened star-shaped article designed for throwing, including the martial arts weapon known as "Surikan", "Suriken" or "Shaken" (including where the throwing star is attached to a belt-buckle).

45. An article consisting of a handle and an edged blade, joined by chain or a combination of chain and metal pieces or steel rods, designed to be used as a whip, including the martial arts weapon commonly known as "Chinese whip", "whip spear", "7 piece iron chain", "9 piece iron chain", "Bian Tzu Chiang" or "Lien Tzu Chiang".

46. The martial arts weapon known as a "Butterfly Sword".

47. The martial arts weapon known as a "Tonfa".

Further information and photographs of controlled and prohibited weapons can be found on the Victoria Police website.

http://www.justice.vic.gov.au/CA2569020010922A/page/Safety-Crime+Prevention-Information+about+Prohibited+Weapons?OpenDocument&1=0-Safety~&2=0-Crime+Prevention~&3=0-Information+about+Prohibited+Weapons

Andy

JESUS! Are you allwoed to OWN anything there? I am sorry....the people there need to rise up and publicly hang those responsible for such complete and utter bullshit!

Let the fuckers swing....
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:49:09 AM EDT
[#32]
The nortorious spitballs still haven't been found?????
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:51:09 AM EDT
[#33]
This is sick.

But if we are not careful about protecting our rights this will be in the NYTimes about ICE seizing this kind of stuff in the US.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:51:20 AM EDT
[#34]
What, they're going to start confiscating airsoft next ?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:53:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:55:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Next thing you know the'll ban kitchen utensils. I feel for these people!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:56:10 AM EDT
[#37]
WTF?????

That's all I can come up with.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:56:35 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Weapons banned in teh Australian State of Victoria!

Crime Prevention

Prohibited weapons are weapons that are considered totally inappropriate for general possession or use because they are exclusively offensive in nature. Such weapons cannot be imported, manufactured, sold, possessed or carried.

A person may have access to a prohibited weapon only if she or he has obtained an Approval from the Chief Commissioner of Police, or falls within an Exemption made by the Governor in Council.

The penalties for breeching The Control of Weapons Act 1990 include a fine of up to $12,000 or six months imprisonment.
The following items are prohibited weapons:

1. "Sword", being a thrusting, striking or cutting weapon with a long blade having 1 or 2 cutting edges and a hilt. ...

That's just the knives and crossbows.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:58:08 AM EDT
[#39]
So you can't own pepper spray either?  

I know guns are generally banned but can you even have them for hunting anymore?  What about crocs and stuff out in the wilds?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:58:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Was that in Talifornia?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:59:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Jeez, no wonder they are looking for men. They emasculated all of theirs. Ban Em!! Do it for the roos!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:59:45 AM EDT
[#42]
I think ARFCOM could invade and easily occupy that continent.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:01:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Good thing they got that haul otherwise they would have seen a natable uptick in the incidents of drive-by crossbowings.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:01:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Somehow, I feel when you get into the outback, or at least well away from the cities, you might be amazed what could come out of the woodwork.

The Aussie, especially rural Aussies don't seem like the type who would willingly give up their guns...

But this is completely ridiculous, here is a case were armed uprising and revolt is called for, before you are condemned to spending your life ensconced in a soft cocoon under the supervision of the .gov....kind of like the Matrix, but without the power generating capabilities....
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:02:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Krikey!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:03:04 AM EDT
[#46]
For the Children

Bomber
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:07:11 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I was thinking the same thing.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:10:05 AM EDT
[#48]
I guess that's one way to get gun lovers to enlist in the military.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:11:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Onion.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:14:09 AM EDT
[#50]
What kind of blowgun did Al Pachino use in the movie "HEAT" ????

Acutally I have heard of banks getting held up by blowguns... the thing to remember is that while they're screaming "EVERYONE ON THE GROUND NOW," that they have effectively disarmed themsleves.  Wait until they're done yelling then bum rush them.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top