Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2007 9:04:42 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 9:25:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 9:27:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Yup, not a call I'd want to make.....potentially lose more rescue workers to what is likely going to be a recovery of remains or give up on the unstated trust/bond with the miners who go down every day, that you WILL come for them hell or high water if they get into trouble in your employ.

Sad situation
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 9:40:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I sure wouldn't want to be the guy making that call either. Personally, I think it's highly unlikely that the original guys are still alive. How long have they been in there now? I don't think they had enough water, etc, to survive this long even if the oxygen level was breathable... and that in itself is doubtful. I hate to sound so pessimistic, but it just really doesn't look good. - And now this new development. Bad, bad, bad.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 9:40:18 PM EDT
[#4]
3 dead now according to Fox
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 9:41:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 9:42:26 PM EDT
[#6]
That is sad.

Up until this point, the MNM(mainstream news media) was still doubtful that the original cave in was due to seismic activity as told by the mine owner, they believe it was due to a human mishap.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 9:46:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Hope the forum member working at the site is ok....

What i was thinking, Prayers out to them all.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 9:47:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
That is sad.

Up until this point, the MNM(mainstream news media) was still doubtful that the original cave in was due to seismic activity as told by the mine owner, they believe it was due to a human mishap.

You mean the evil capitalistic mine owner who was taking advantage of poor mexican mine workers.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 9:49:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Hope the forum member working at the site is ok....

He's a driller on top and not inside.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 10:04:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
That is sad.

Yup, this same thought went through my mind as well. The MSM has always tried to turn this into a blame game from the start and cast doubts about what the mine owner/operator had said.

But based on what I have seen of that old guy on tv, I'd sure as hell trust him 100x more than the media. He seems like a genuinly good guy who deeply cares about his workers there. He didn't come across as the type of guy who would take any chances of intentionally risking workers to unsafe conditions.

But seismic activity isn't as interesting to them I suppose as human era.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 10:32:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 10:43:13 PM EDT
[#12]
USGS Summary of Utah Seismic Event

A shallow seismic event, magnitude 3.9, was recorded on stations of the USGS Advanced National Seismic System at 02:48 AM MDT on August 6, 2007. The event was located in the vicinity of the Crandall Canyon Mine in the Wasatch Plateau coalfield of east-central Utah. Abundant mining-induced seismicity and less frequent natural earthquake activity have been instrumentally recorded in this area for decades. The largest of past seismic events related to mining activity in this region had magnitudes in the 3.5 to 4.2 range.

The M3.9 event does not have the characteristics of a typical, naturally occurring earthquake. Instead, preliminary observations suggest a shock induced by underground coal mining. Detailed seismological analyses by scientists at the University of California at Berkeley support this interpretation. The findings of the Berkeley team indicate that the source mechanism of the August 6 seismic event is most consistent with the collapse of an underground cavity ( http://seismo.berkeley.edu/~peggy/Utah20070806.htm).

Twelve seismic events were recorded by the regional seismic network in the first 38 hours following, and in the vicinity of, the large event of August 6. These smaller events range in magnitude from less than 1.0 to 2.2. A shock of magnitude 2.1 occurred about 17 hours after the main event (at 8:05 PM MDT, August 6); another of magnitude 2.2 occurred about five hours later (at 01:13 AM, August 7). These shocks are interpreted to reflect settling of the rockmass following a cavity collapse.

Earthquake monitoring in Utah is conducted through a partnership between the U.S. Geological Survey and the University of Utah Seismological Stations, as part of the Advanced National Seismic System.

Earthquake Information for Utah
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 10:58:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 11:01:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Damn...

Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse but have pretty much came to the realization that 6 men had died after 11 days of not finding them...3 more die trying to find them.  

RIP and God Bless their families and friends.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top