Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2004 7:01:09 AM EDT

Report: CIA Holds Top Al Qaeda Suspects in Jordan

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - The U.S. Central Intelligence Agency is holding top al Qaeda suspects in a secret Jordanian jail where they are subjected to interrogation methods banned in the United States, an Israeli newspaper said Wednesday.

Haaretz daily said at least 11 men held incommunicado in Jordan include Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the alleged mastermind of the hijacked airliner attacks on New York and Washington, and Hambali, accused of being al Qaeda's ally in southeast Asia.

There was no immediate comment from U.S. officials or Jordan, which is seen as a key ally in the U.S.-led war on terror.

Haaretz, citing international intelligence sources, said: "Their detention outside the U.S. enables CIA interrogators to apply interrogation methods that are banned by U.S. law, and to do so in a country where cooperation with the Americans is particularly close, thereby reducing the danger of leaks."

International human rights groups have accused the United States of circumventing guidelines on interrogation by shipping al Qaeda suspects to allied states where such legal scrutiny is lacking.

Washington insists its interrogators operate within the law. U.S. officials say incommunicado detentions in secret locations are essential for security and that many suspects held have provided valuable intelligence that has foiled planned attacks.

In "Rumsfeld's War," a book drawing on declassified Pentagon documents, Washington Times correspondent Rowan Scarborough said that Jordanian interrogators have helped U.S. counterparts in handling al Qaeda suspects held at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

"U.S. interrogators are known to threaten some detainees with shipping them off to Jordan if they don't cooperate," Scarborough said. "Like other Middle Eastern countries, Jordan uses physical means to coerce confessions and vital intelligence information."
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:35:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Just don't put those panties on their heads!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:38:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Does Jordan not allow "soap-on-a-rope"?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:46:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Just cut their freaking head off and call it good.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:52:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Sometimes it's not the question you ask, but rather how you ask the question.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:56:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Whats so bbreaking about this, this has been known for a while now. Hell there was mention of it months ago if not at least a year ago.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:59:05 AM EDT
[#6]
what kind of torture are they likley to face?
cutting, burning, chemical, sleep dep?
what can they do to them their that they can't do secretly in some CIA controlled building anywhere in the world?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:00:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I had heard rumors of this right after the main assault on Iraq but this is the first solid news.  

Those assholes are in for a rude surprise when they think they have it easy because the US can't torture prisoners.  "What do you mean, I'm a prisoner of Jordan"?  " I want to go to an American prison"!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:02:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Tactical Jew...could you please provide the link when you post a story.  It drives me nuts trying to track it down.  Thanks.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:05:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:15:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
what kind of torture are they likley to face?
cutting, burning, chemical, sleep dep?
what can they do to them their that they can't do secretly in some CIA controlled building anywhere in the world?

prolly sleep dep. w/ some heavy handed slapping around
feigned drowing/suffacation
....not sure what things the Jordanians might employ
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:26:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Anal beads perhaps?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:37:42 AM EDT
[#12]

+1 for beheading them. Sew the remailns in a hog carcass, drop into Fallujah.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:41:52 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

where they are subjected to interrogation methods banned in the United States, an Israeli newspaper said Wednesday.

Torture by proxy is the moral equivalent of torture.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:57:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Boil alive in bacon greese, tape it, the drop them in Fallujah.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:01:34 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Just cut their freaking head off and call it good.

On video. And show it on Arab TV.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:14:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Ooh, the second good thing I have heard today, after hearing we went and Monte Cassinoed a Mosque today in Iraq.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:22:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I had heard rumors of this right after the main assault on Iraq but this is the first solid news.  

Those assholes are in for a rude surprise when they think they have it easy because the US can't torture prisoners.  "What do you mean, I'm a prisoner of Jordan"?  " I want to go to an American prison"!

"NO NO Mohummad wants to go to the US prison, cable tv, 3 meals a day and conjugal visits!"
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:47:00 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"NO NO Mohummad wants to go to the US prison, cable tv, 3 meals a day and conjugal visits!"

Sorry Mohummad... we can do the TV and food, but no goats allowed.

- BG
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:57:54 PM EDT
[#19]
The use of Jordanian prisons was reported in a Newsweek or US News article well over a year ago.  Less reported is that we also have had access to guys held in Syria.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top