User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2002 10:03:06 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 10:13:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah!  Go NASA!

Link Posted: 6/19/2002 10:19:20 AM EDT
[#2]
yup...was waking up...and was sitting in bed.

"cool another earthqua.....hey wheres the shaking...ohhh i know what that is" :D

no car alarms here though. but all the windows rattled.  felt it the last time the used edwards too...that time i was in sanbernardino..it probly made the house do a 2.0 on the scale since it was closer to the ground.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 10:31:50 AM EDT
[#3]
There goes a million $, oh well, I suppose you lefties are worthy of seeing/hearing a space shuttle come in every now & then. [;)]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 10:42:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The Space Shuttle Endeavor just landed at Edwards AFB, and the BOOM! BOOM! shook the whole house and set off car alarms. Anybody else in SoCal hear it? [8D]
View Quote

Kool!  I remember those when I was imprisoned in Kalifornistan.
Sidebar...
One day about ten years ago, we heard a deep rumbling shock wave pass over most of SoCal.  Based on time analysis, the wave seemed to move in a generally NNE direction...somewhat like the returning Shuttle.  It was NOT the STS vehicle though.  No quake either...the Cal Tech Girl and the USGS guys were adamant about that...but EVERYBODY heard/felt it.  Made all the local news that night.  

About two years later, I was working on a DoD project at Pt. Mugu.  A guy I was working with was also involved in another project using national assets to track SR-71 Blackbirds in an engine heat study.  During one OP, the project tracked a much FASTER heat source on a course moving inland over the LA area from the sea...in a NNE direction towards Las Vegas.  At the time, our Blackbird was out over the Pacific on a northerly heading.

Wonder if the two are related?  [;D]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 3:47:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I haven't heard the sonic boom, but I did see a re-entry about 6-7 years ago.  I think it was a return of a polar orbiter mission... (the event was announced on tv a day or so before)
anyway, was pretty cool cruisin' across the sky with its redish/pinkish ion trail.  I wish I had a video camera back then!

I would like very much to view a launch...anyone know how much advance notice of launch dates are given?
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 8:47:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would like very much to view a launch...anyone know how much advance notice of launch dates are given?
View Quote

Here 'ya go!  I, too, would like to see a launch one of these days.

[url]http://www-pao.ksc.nasa.gov/kscpao/schedule/schedule.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 11:01:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Ahh, Pointless Mugu, I love that place.  Too bad it's located in Kalifornicastan.
I spent over 11 years of my military career there.
We used to fly from Mugu up into the Panamint Valley for some low level practice, sometimes (always at night) the entire MOA out there would be NOTAM'ed closed for some reason.
I was out at Willow Springs raceway for a WSMRC race, it was on a Saturday night and we had finished up working on a buddies bike for the races the next day. At about 10 pm everyone heard two loud distinct sonic booms coming from over around Edwards. These were not the normal ba-BOOM sonic boom (F-14, F-18, F-4), it was a very very fast BABOOM, faster than the SST (went to a couple of the landings at Edwards as a tourist). My best guess was that something was "really" moving fast. For a while on one of the "tin-foil beanie" web pages it made mention of a bunch of not normal sounding sonic booms coming from Edwards.
I still wonder if it was the Auora.  Naww, that's an urban legend...

Quoted:
One day about ten years ago, we heard a deep rumbling shock wave pass over most of SoCal.  Based on time analysis, the wave seemed to move in a generally NNE direction...somewhat like the returning Shuttle.  It was NOT the STS vehicle though.  No quake either...the Cal Tech Girl and the USGS guys were adamant about that...but EVERYBODY heard/felt it.  Made all the local news that night.  

About two years later, I was working on a DoD project at Pt. Mugu.  A guy I was working with was also involved in another project using national assets to track SR-71 Blackbirds in an engine heat study.  During one OP, the project tracked a much FASTER heat source on a course moving inland over the LA area from the sea...in a NNE direction towards Las Vegas.  At the time, our Blackbird was out over the Pacific on a northerly heading.

Wonder if the two are related?  [;D]
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top