Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2001 6:24:13 AM EDT
Does anybody know anything about the movie coming out for the book "Blackhawk Down"? Probably one of the best books of war I've ever read. Any other opinions out there?
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 6:34:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Great book. The movie is due next march. Ridley Scott is directing. The Army has also helped them extenively on the movie. You can find more detailed information at:

http://www.upcomingmovies.com/blackhawkdown.html
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 6:38:18 AM EDT
[#2]
ABN-RGR, are you stating that a movie is/has been made? Or are you asking if others would like to see one made? If it is the later of the two - I have mixed feelings

While I feel it is important that people are aware of what happened; I feel that Hollywood would 'cheapen' the story for the sake of the box office. The book was rather gruesome (although I am sure it was nothing in comparsion to being there). I don't think the American public would do very well if all of that was translated to a visual medium - as it would need to be to be a credible version of events.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 6:45:11 AM EDT
[#3]
The movie has been shooting for several months. It should be finished by the end of the summer and will be in post production all fall and winter.

I agree that it has to be done right or it will cheapen the history of what happened, but "Saving Private Ryan" certainly didn't cheapen or demean what happened at Omaha Beach. I think they will get this one right. The American people need to understand what it really means (as well as it can be told) to send their young men off to other countries to fight.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 6:51:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Im hoping the author doesn't allow the movie to be cheapened, although I'm sure he doesn't have much choice. This has the potential to be an excellent movie with all kinds of heroes that can be spotlighted. There are several heroes who were not spotlighted in the book, and hopefully they will get their turn. I am extremely excited about this movie. I have read the book three times and it keeps getting better. Anybody who hasn't read it should do so, as it is the best book on modern warfare I have ever read.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 6:56:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Reading some of the book-This could really be a good movie-if the dont add love stories and mess it up
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 7:49:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Check out this site

[url]www.cinemayhem.com/blackhawkdown/index.htm[/url]

the best site on the movie so far.

The latest news there is of the actor for SFC Shughart, i helped the webmaster by searching a photo of the actor for him.

Judging by the board there, seem to be many TFR guys there, the movies so far seems outstanding compared to normal Hollywood BS war movies.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 8:53:40 AM EDT
[#7]
From the looks of things, the movie will be somewhat Hollywood, but will hopefully stick to the story.  

My only beef with Bowden was that he painted the relationship between the Rangers and D as being not very good.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  I hope that coloring doesn't come through in the final film.  Granted, he didn't have a lot to work with, but it's a bad journalistic no-no to only rely on one source for most of your information.

-SARguy
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 8:56:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

My only beef with Bowden was that he painted the relationship between the Rangers and D as being not very good.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  I hope that coloring doesn't come through in the final film.  Granted, he didn't have a lot to work with, but it's a bad journalistic no-no to only rely on one source for most of your information.
View Quote

Yeah, Bowden seemed to have gotten a particular slant on a lot of issues from someone and then interpreted everything that happened based on that slant.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 9:42:22 AM EDT
[#9]
I saw some photos of the production in progress, at www.aintitcool.com

Blackhawk Down is going to follow in SPR's footsteps by portraying extreme gore from combat.  I saw what looked like an American blown in half from an RPG explosion, along with other extremely gorey sights.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 10:07:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Bowden took his experience from the guys from 3rd Rgr Bat that he talked to. They were in awe of the "D" boys, but there is always going to be a little resentment between units. If a jarhead made a comment about rangers, a "D" boy would stand up for him. Ask another "D"boy about rangers, it might turn out a little different. All in all, I think he did a good job portraying two extremely different groups, but both experts in their own area.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top