Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2017 1:57:15 AM EDT
So this guy who is a local gun dealer put up a new ad on a nearby firearms forum. As soon as I saw it I thought it was an Arfcom member. Looks pretty close to the site logo....

If i'm wrong I apologize for wasting space that could have been better used for Taylor Swift, Civil War 2, Automated Killing Robots, McStains ship, Fail guilty or not, and More Civil war threads....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:58:23 AM EDT
[#1]
lol
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:59:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
lol
View Quote
Am i wrong? I might not know how this works, if so let me know i'll dead the thread
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:02:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Extractor and ejector are different.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:04:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Our bolt doesn't have an extractor.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:04:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Aww i see, i Fail again
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:26:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Every time this comes up people say that. It's plenty close enough for a trademark.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:29:38 AM EDT
[#7]
They will be sent a strongly worded letter.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:33:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Every time this comes up people say that. It's plenty close enough for a trademark.
View Quote
It very well could be, IANAL.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:56:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:09:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Am i wrong? I might not know how this works, if so let me know i'll dead the thread
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol
I think you know how this works
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:57:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Actually i've only read others threads on them, but was not sure if it only applied exclusively to merchandise being sold or not
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:08:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Actually i've only read others threads on them, but was not sure if it only applied exclusively to merchandise being sold or not
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, Arf owns it for pretty much everything.  So someone can't use it for their business without licensing it, etc.
And yes, that is close enough for a peepee slap from the site.

From another thread:  (I really just need to save the image)

Quoted:  
Catching up on the thread but I'll say a couple things to clarify.  

1) We trademarked the design for the community. Yes, it's our LOGO, but it was to protect it so that THIS community could benefit from having it's own "secret handshake" logo. The fact that it's grown into a massive nightmare to police was not something we thought would happen, but we KNEW the logo would be special. It absolutely sucks to sue people, but we do what we have to in order to protect the logo. Sometimes we trademark stuff to avoid lawsuits and help the larger firearm community. For example, we trademarked "#BlackRiflesMatter" in order to ensure NOBODY gets sued for using it, especially us!  We have no intention of taking anyone to court, but the trademark blocks others from getting one and coming after everyone using it. So as heartless as we may look to some, we also do things like this.  

2) The trademark applies to the core things we wanted to protect. Firearms, Clothing, Stickers/Patches, etc. This means someone can create BFL Computing or something in another class. BFL Airlines anyone?  

3) Our goal is to avoid sending emails and lawsuits. Our attorney is one of the best in the country, whom was were just lucky to work with. His goals line up with ours. Avoid as much as we can, protect where it's clear, allow others. Sometimes parody saves the day (bfl smiley face for example) and other times they are not stylized but realistic "photo" views which are also ok.  

4) We do not need to send emails or letters to people to stop infringing. Once an infringement happens, we can file a lawsuit against that company/person. We reach out to be nice and avoid wasting everyone's time on lawsuits and lawyering up.  

5) The BFL is free to use for PERSONAL reasons. This means if you want to make your own BFL shirt, you can. If you have someone print you BFL Shirts to distribute (not only sell, but give away) then you would be violating trademark law. I'm not 100% on this one, but I'm pretty sure this is how it works. Aslo, asking someone to create a product for you with a BFL is infringement for them. It's their duty to ensure what they are being paid for does not break trademark law.  

The logo is strong because this community has spread it across the globe. People see it on the range, as a sticker on a car, in a video game as an avatar, or in a google search and they think it's public domain and they can use it. Ignorance will not work in Federal Court. You all have helped make it a "famous mark" and as such it's much easier to defend in court when needed. So let people cry and bitch all they want. In the end it's this community's logo that is attacked, not me personally.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:35:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Nope, Arf owns it for pretty much everything.  So someone can't use it for their business without licensing it, etc.
And yes, that is close enough for a peepee slap from the site.

From another thread:  (I really just need to save the image)
View Quote
Ok, yeah i figured its pretty damn close...
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:27:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Bump to see if it is or not
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top