Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2006 9:43:39 PM EDT
I see this a lot.  Not necessarily on the Black Rifle Server, cause I don't play there much.  If you're a squadleader, why are you flying around in a jet or a two seater attack helicopter?  I can understand an SL piloting a Blackhawk, but a single seat jet?  C'mon - leave the squad, and go planewhore.  Otherwise you're leaving the groundpounders like me without a mobile spawn point, and the rest of your squad might as well be lonewolf.  Am I missing something here?  I was just playing a pretty good round on the WiH server, the game changed from Sharqi to Oman, and suddenly all the SL's were flying.  I just disconnected - what's the point, if you're going for team play?

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:16:30 AM EDT
[#1]
It's not always so that they can be a spawn point for a squad.

Often times I form a squad as a pilot so the commander can give me attack/defend orders and I can have a visual reference that pops up on the map for me.

I've been commander and told good jet pilots to make squads so I can direct them, it worked so well that the jets got into a flight pattern and would make runs at where ever I told them to attack.    Within moments of the order being given an F15 and F18 would streak in and wipe out the area before troops would role in with other squads to take flags.

On other maps, like wake, I often am the first one to load into a map and will make a squad so I can fly to the airfield and bail out.   When AR15 members are around they can quickly spawn on me and the airfield is ours before even 1/4 of the opposite team has loaded the map.   I almost ALWAYS do this stragey on Wake.    On other crucial maps like Dragon Valley, if I get pissed off I'll pull off the same stunt to strip the enemy team of their J10 spawn point.

Once the airstrip is ours I typically leave the squad and rejoin so somebody gets promoted to leader, then I'll hop in a jet and give support to the squad as they break out.

There are reasons for it and there are reasons against it.    The pilot being the squad leader isn't always there fault though, sometimes they are a member and wind up being promoted to leader if the squad they are in is practicing "squad hopping".    

Many times while I am flying to support the squad, if the squad leader dies and leaves to rejoin on squad members in the area sometimes I get promoted to leader and have to leave/rejoin to get somebody else who is alive promoted so the squad can respawn.

Not all pilots are that attentive and take notice of when they suddenly become squad leader and some of them are too damned stupid to get the point behind being a squad leader.

On Kubra Dam I am usually in the SU34 and tell people to spawn on me so as to use me as a mobil spawn point/taxi, people don't always get it and will sit in the back seat just soaking up trying to sponge points as I go on bombing runs.   Often pisses me off making me spend more of the round typing for him to bail over intake to help take the flag rather than sit back there not helping the team one bit.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:59:35 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Often times I form a squad as a pilot so the commander can give me attack/defend orders and I can have a visual reference that pops up on the map for me.

I've been commander and told good jet pilots to make squads so I can direct them, it worked so well that the jets got into a flight pattern and would make runs at where ever I told them to attack.    Within moments of the order being given an F15 and F18 would streak in and wipe out the area before troops would role in with other squads to take flags.

On other maps, like wake, I often am the first one to load into a map and will make a squad so I can fly to the airfield and bail out.   When AR15 members are around they can quickly spawn on me and the airfield is ours before even 1/4 of the opposite team has loaded the map.   I almost ALWAYS do this stragey on Wake.    On other crucial maps like Dragon Valley, if I get pissed off I'll pull off the same stunt to strip the enemy team of their J10 spawn point.

Once the airstrip is ours I typically leave the squad and rejoin so somebody gets promoted to leader, then I'll hop in a jet and give support to the squad as they break out.

There are reasons for it and there are reasons against it.    The pilot being the squad leader isn't always there fault though, sometimes they are a member and wind up being promoted to leader if the squad they are in is practicing "squad hopping".    

Many times while I am flying to support the squad, if the squad leader dies and leaves to rejoin on squad members in the area sometimes I get promoted to leader and have to leave/rejoin to get somebody else who is alive promoted so the squad can respawn.

Not all pilots are that attentive and take notice of when they suddenly become squad leader and some of them are too damned stupid to get the point behind being a squad leader.

On Kubra Dam I am usually in the SU34 and tell people to spawn on me so as to use me as a mobil spawn point/taxi, people don't always get it and will sit in the back seat just soaking up trying to sponge points as I go on bombing runs.   Often pisses me off making me spend more of the round typing for him to bail over intake to help take the flag rather than sit back there not helping the team one bit.

Well said
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:51:05 AM EDT
[#3]
You will get over it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:58:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well said

Sure was.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:20:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Did the "F35 taxi" to the Chinese air strip tonight on a server, I was the first one loaded like usual and everyone in teamspeak waited to spawn on me when I hit land.

It was funny, this time it's like they were waiting for me though.    We've done this to these goofballs on this server so many times that it seems like people kinda hang back now :)

Took out their tank and helicopter in one bombing pass, just missed their J10, and then circled around to bail out and land right on the flag.   2 seconds later and 3-4 people spawn on me and their flag is toast.

Gotta love it when a plan comes together.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top