Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2003 12:23:25 PM EDT
Do soldiers not roll their sleeves anymore?  When I do it, folks look at me like a monkey fucking a football.  Someone made a comment the other day that 'we don't really do that in this brigade.'

[>:/]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 12:28:07 PM EDT
[#1]
??

You mean in the hotter months?  I certainly hope so unless you're in combat...

Alex
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 12:32:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 12:34:30 PM EDT
[#3]
When not in formation it usually doesn't matter. Now that said I've hardly seen an office roll their sleeves, WTF? I guess that makes them special. I rolled mine whenever I could.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 12:40:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I just wondered.  No one rolls their sleeves in my brigade (76th Infantry (Separate) ) .  I'm leaving for AT tomorrow, but it's separate from my unit, so I was just wondering.  It's gonna be hot!  

Link Posted: 6/13/2003 12:52:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I guess if your commander has decided that his troops will keep their sleeves down, you're just plain SOL.

Every unit I ever served in allowed sleeves up in hot weather except in the field.

Alex
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 12:56:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I hardly see my commander!!!
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 1:02:35 PM EDT
[#7]
When I was in, from October 1 to April 1, sleeves were down, and vice versa while in formations. Outside of formations, noone gave a damn.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 1:03:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
When I do it, folks look at me like a monkey fucking a football.  
View Quote

[lol]

This is hilarious, Im going to use it in a sentence today.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 1:04:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I hardly see my commander!!!
View Quote

Even your first level commander?  Whatever level that may be..
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 1:14:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I take that back...I see him - but my section stays as far from the TOC as possible!
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 1:27:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I have heard that it is better for your health to leave them rolled down, (even in the hotter months) same concept as the guys in the mideast that cover everything.

you know the bedouins (sp?)
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 1:37:01 PM EDT
[#12]
you don't worry about skin cancer when you're so fucking hot you can't breathe!
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 1:43:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I used to roll my own in the 60s.  But I digress... [;D]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 2:02:38 PM EDT
[#14]
When I was Air Force from 1983 to 1992, I had my sleeves rolled up year around unless we were in an exercise.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 2:04:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The Air Force puts out a date and before and after your sleves must be up or down ...

sailors don't give a darn and roll then up or down according to the weather not the calendar. We also put our hands in the nice warm pockets of our very nice wool peacoats.
View Quote

I hate to disagree, but I am active duty USAF and in my 18+ years I have never run across any memo or regulation that prescribed dates for having your sleeves rolled up (or down for that matter).

You can scan through AFI 36-2903 [url]www.e-publishing.af.mil/pubfiles/af/36/afi36-2903/afi36-2903.pdf[/url] and not find a reference to that anywhere.

I would like to think we use common sense.  Up when it's hot and down when it's cold.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 2:58:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Why in the hell would a CO care if you're sleeved are up or down? Unless you're in a formal event (where you need to look spiffy for some damn reason)

WTF does it matter?

Does it get their jollies off or something?: "Heh Heh Heh, look at that poor bastard  - he has to roll his sleeves down in this 150 degree weather because I say so. Heh Heh Heh.

And the Army wonders why they aren't getting any recruits.

BTW - I've never been in the Armed Forces and have no serious interests in it.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 4:11:41 PM EDT
[#17]
[red]Roll your pants up and see what happens then.[/red]

[ROFL2]

Be sure and let us know.[banana]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 4:19:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:13:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
[red]Roll your pants up and see what happens then.[/red]

[ROFL2]

Be sure and let us know.[banana]
View Quote

I have uniform issues anyway... I'm usually the guy running around in the boonie hat or drive-on-rag and Adidas GSG9s.  I really don't get harassed.  The sergeant major came by once in the field and saw me with my whole rig - SOE Patrol LBV  and Eagle Force ruck.  

He had no comment...so I took that for tacit approval.  My section leader is SF, so he doesn't give a hinkyshit what we wear in the field.

Off to AT tomorrow...yippee...
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:32:23 AM EDT
[#20]
All of my units would have "dates" put out for things like which PT uniform to wear or if Gortex was mandatory in formations and so on but outside of formations most didnt care but I did have one who would FREAK if he saw you anywhere anytime with your BDU pants tightly tucked and wrapped as in the GW peg leg look and then of course there were the people who would freak if they saw you with a Ranger roll on your BDU headgear. Most puke officers wore their sleeves down year round because they had their uniforms pressed at the cleaners and never did anything to mess them up therby allowing them to wear a uniform for a week or 2 if they wanted, but then again I had a few CO's who wore sleeves up all the time and cared more about how well you were trained and could perform rather than if your boots were spitshined or your bdu's had the "proper" creases or level of starch in them and etc.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:38:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:39:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:41:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Air Force puts out a date and before and after your sleves must be up or down ...

sailors don't give a darn and roll then up or down according to the weather not the calendar. We also put our hands in the nice warm pockets of our very nice wool peacoats.
View Quote

I hate to disagree, but I am active duty USAF and in my 18+ years I have never run across any memo or regulation that prescribed dates for having your sleeves rolled up (or down for that matter).

You can scan through AFI 36-2903 [url]www.e-publishing.af.mil/pubfiles/af/36/afi36-2903/afi36-2903.pdf[/url] and not find a reference to that anywhere.

I would like to think we use common sense.  Up when it's hot and down when it's cold.
View Quote

There's nothing in the Air Force reg about dates. However individual bases may set dates. When I was in training we had days we had to wear our sleeves up or down. Being stationed in Florida now most people roll them up.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 8:09:22 AM EDT
[#24]
us sailors are just cool. specially us underwater types.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 8:28:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Back in the day, we were authorized short sleeves. This used to result in all kinds of fun and games with PCS Lifers while TDY. Naturally you always wore short sleeve BDU's/long underwear tops (Korea) just to stir the shit a bit...!
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 8:56:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My newest BN commander just recently put out that we will always wear our sleeves down regardless of the weather. Evidently he feels that since we are a combat unit we should dress like we are always in the field. I am 99% positive that in all his years as an engineer officer this is the first real combat enginner unit he has been in.

I haven't met him yet, but I feel the moron factor is high with this one.....
View Quote

I suspect that's the reasoning(?)here as well.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 2:22:15 PM EDT
[#27]
When I was in the 7thID(L), we weren't allowed to roll our sleeves up...EVER!

But, then again, it never got all that warm on "Planet Ord" anyway...

We also had to put on camoflague face paint whenever we had on LBE & Kevlars. Damn, I miss those old "rag-tops"...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top