Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2006 3:23:25 PM EDT
How hard is Basic Combat Training?

What's the best thing I can do right now to prepare for it?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:27:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Run, Run, pushups til ya puke, run some more, after that , run some more. throw in some pull ups while you are at it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:20:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Meditate. Calm yourself.

There will be much idiocy. You will be keeping a very tenuous grip on your sanity.

The course itself is dead easy. Just do what you're told. Tolerating the other jackasses in your platoon will be the problem.

NTM
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:22:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Hard?!?!?!? I remeber it as the best part of my 5 year tour.  Rember that the DI's are the top 10% in their field.  Listen to what they say, learn from other's boo boo's and remember the more dirt you eat in training, the less blood you loose in the fight.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:42:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Meditate. Calm yourself.

There will be much idiocy. You will be keeping a very tenuous grip on your sanity.

The course itself is dead easy. Just do what you're told. Tolerating the other jackasses in your platoon will be the problem.

NTM

Take that to the bank.  The only real problems we had were the drama queens who madea big deal out of everything.  They were also the ones who ended up leaving.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:49:28 PM EDT
[#5]
run, do situps, do pushups, because you'll do a lot of them at BCT.

it isnt the easiest thing in the world either, my OSUT Troop(15th Cavalry, Fort Knox KY)  had about a 40% attrition rate throughout the entire course.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:55:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Meditate. Calm yourself.

NTM

+1
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:15:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Not as hard as combat.  Train hard...you won't regret it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:47:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I remember it as being very challenging (I lived a sheltered life).  It wasn't hard per se, but a definate challenge.  Every day was an accomplishment, be it PT, individual skills, weapons qual, etc.  In retrospect, it was some of the best times I had ever had in the Army.  You will remember your Drills for the rest of your life.  Me fondly, others, not so.  

To prepare I would do an ASSLOAD of pushups, sit-ups, flutter kicks, and more pushups.  I would also run.  I didn't run enough, and that hurt me more than anything else.  Make SURE you have a good pair of running shoes.  Don't cheap out on those.  Get what works.

How long do you have to prepare?

-K
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:19:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the feedback.  I have a couple months to prepare.

Pretty sure I can handle the mental aspects.  It's the physical that I'm concerned about.  I'm gonna start out running 2 miles a day and doing lots of push-ups and sit-ups.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top