Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 2/7/2006 6:43:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/7/2006 6:51:51 PM EDT by LANCEMAN]
This one had it all

BB Gun at Root of Police Probe

Published Feb 07, 2006

A police investigation that closed off a portion of one Rochester neighborhood for hours Tuesday ended without incident.

Police believed there was an armed suspect in a home on Flint Street. Once they entered the home, there was no one inside. They turned up nothing more than a BB gun.

The investigation began in the early afternoon. Someone reported seeing two people with a shotgun near Jefferson Avenue and Jefferson Terrace. Police say one was walking, the other was on a bicycle.

When they arrived on the scene, police ended up in a foot chase with the suspects. There were able to take one of the suspects into custody. The other, they say, ran into a home on Flint Street.

Police surrounded the home and closed off several streets around the area. Several hours later, they obtained a search warrant. The SWAT team fired tear gas into the home. An animal control officer also removed a pitbull from the home.

Once they were inside, police discovered no one was there. They did recover a BB gun fitting the description from the original report.

Police believe a juvenile who lives at the home was the one spotted with the weapon. They say he is not in custody and will not face any charges.

No one was hurt. Police say, as of this time, the investigation is closed.

http://www.rnews.com/Story_2004.cfm?ID=34712&rnews_story_type=18
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:44:49 PM EDT
no charges filed, but he evaded police and resisted arrest? that's unusual
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:45:22 PM EDT
Ummm

5 page minimum
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:45:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By fossil_fuel:

Arrest for what ? A BB gun ?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:45:58 PM EDT
The pitbull made it through alive.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:46:00 PM EDT
Im so glad they were there to protect us from the EVIL Airsoft toy
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:55:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NonConformist:
Im so glad they were there to protect us from the EVIL Airsoft toy

NY Me and my brother had gun racks on our bicycles for our BB guns
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:56:17 PM EDT
Everybody with a gun is evil and must be put down with the maximum amount of force.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:02:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BangStick1:
Everybody with a gun is evil and must be put down with the maximum amount of force.

In a lot of places here and around the world, that's not too far from the truth.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:19:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Phil_A_Steen:
The pitbull made it through alive.

He must have said his prayers every night

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:24:55 PM EDT

BB Gun at Root of Police Probe

Police believe a juvenile who lives at the home was the one spotted with the weapon. They say he is not in custody and will not face any charges.

No one was hurt. Police say, as of this time, the investigation is closed.

Yes, this sounds like a serious overreaction but....

..the police aren't going to charge the kid with the gun and the investigation is closed.

Sounds like they are at least doing the right thing now.

I'm happy they didn't try to come up with some stupid charges to justify their original response.

I'll give them credit for that.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:26:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BangStick1:

Won't somebody PLEASE think about the children!

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:26:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By LANCEMAN:

*you're right, not resisting arrest, but flight from police.

When they arrived on the scene, police ended up in a foot chase with the suspects. There were able to take one of the suspects into custody. The other, they say, ran into a home on Flint Street.

is it not illegal to run from cops?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:27:25 PM EDT
Airsoft is restricted in a lot of areas and cops want it banned
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:29:17 PM EDT

No one was in the house, so who ran from the cops into it?????
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:33:56 PM EDT
What is this?
England?
Jesus.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:48:09 PM EDT

Sounds like the police just washed their hands of the whole incident and rightfully so. Hopefully they (with taxpayer money of course) will compensate the homeowner for any damage.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:04:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By thedoctors308:
What is this?
England?
Jesus.

Only a matter of time before we get there
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:41:57 PM EDT
the dog lived?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:26:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CRC:
Airsoft is restricted in a lot of areas and cops want it banned

I have pretty much started to associate all BB gun references in the media with Airsoft as well. I can't help but think of a Daisy or Crossman when I see BB Gun written still. Doesn't really matter but the idea of a BB gun has taken on a different meaning in the last 5 years or so. Maybe one day we will be calling them all "REPLICAS" like they do in the UK.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:33:04 PM EDT
do the police training and the briefings from the higher ups fill their minds with imaginary criminals and terrorists or do the police get all whacked out in their minds on their own accord ...
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:17:15 AM EDT
Bump for the day crew
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:21:29 AM EDT
I wanted to see flashbangs, gunfire and burning.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:23:46 AM EDT
When I was in college... uh... a few years ago.... I had one of the old Daisy replica's of an Uzi. The thing was pretty darn realistic. It had a detachable magazine, and "Bullets" that you would put the plastic pellet in, and then shoot it. It would eject the 'spent casing' when you worked the action, and over and over.

I don't think it was the same as airsoft, but probably close. Anyway, my room mate was home alone practicing 'clearing a room with automatic spray' as he called it. We were all fresh out of the service. Someone called the cops when they saw him through the front window with an uzi running into a bedroom.

Lot's o' cops, weapons drawn.... He didn't play with my stuff after that.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:54:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By efpeter:
When I was in college... uh... a few years ago.... I had one of the old Daisy replica's of an Uzi. The thing was pretty darn realistic. It had a detachable magazine, and "Bullets" that you would put the plastic pellet in, and then shoot it. It would eject the 'spent casing' when you worked the action, and over and over.

I don't think it was the same as airsoft, but probably close. Anyway, my room mate was home alone practicing 'clearing a room with automatic spray' as he called it. We were all fresh out of the service. Someone called the cops when they saw him through the front window with an uzi running into a bedroom.
Lot's o' cops, weapons drawn.... He didn't play with my stuff after that.

That's why I always make sure the curtains are drawn up tight when I'm playing with my guns in the house
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:58:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By johnrj:
do the police training and the briefings from the higher ups fill their minds with imaginary criminals and terrorists or do the police get all whacked out in their minds on their own accord ...

yeah, no kidding. If I had a dollar for every cop who I've heard say "it's a post-9/11 world; that means EVERYTHING has changed," I could buy a SIG556.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:03:02 AM EDT
Sounds reasonable to me....

At the time they thought a person with a shotgun ran from them and entered a house. At a minimum it is considered a barricaded person, at worst a hostage situation.

SWAT teams are used in armed barricaded persons calls and for hostage rescue. They obviously did not realize the kid probably ran in the front door and out the back door.

Since it turned out to only be a BB gun no charges are warranted. Most places it is not illegal to flee on foot from the police.

Should the cops just walked up to the front door possibly with a bad guy with a shotgun inside? I think their actions were reasonable and prudent.

SWAT is a life saving organization, when faced with superior firepower many bad guys will surrender.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:05:03 AM EDT

The investigation began in the early afternoon. Someone reported seeing two people with a shotgun near Jefferson Avenue and Jefferson Terrace. Police say one was walking, the other was on a bicycle.

yes of course, because a shotgun is the most logical accessory when you see two kids/juevenilles together on the street with a bike.

wtf is wrong with people today.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:27:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By justice23:
Sounds reasonable to me....

At the time they thought a person with a shotgun ran from them and entered a house. At a minimum it is considered a barricaded person, at worst a hostage situation.

SWAT teams are used in armed barricaded persons calls and for hostage rescue. They obviously did not realize the kid probably ran in the front door and out the back door.

Since it turned out to only be a BB gun no charges are warranted. Most places it is not illegal to flee on foot from the police.

Should the cops just walked up to the front door possibly with a bad guy with a shotgun inside? I think their actions were reasonable and prudent.

SWAT is a life saving organization, when faced with superior firepower many bad guys will surrender.

Better to tear gas a house that a kid runs into just to be safe I guess, good thing there weren't any old ladies sitting around on oxygen or respiration equipment when the gas hit

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:15:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:25:12 PM EDT
Tear gas? Without a visible suspect? Me thinks the city has sum splanin to do and some $$ to fork out.
Top Top