Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 10/23/2004 10:22:49 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/23/2004 10:36:14 PM EST by ProfessorEvil]
California sucks. Apparently we aren't allowed to buy an entire brisket here since some old granny tried picking one up and had a hernia. In the mean time we can get the flats, so i'm going to try making a couple of them.

First I got 2 4.5 pound flats from a decent local meat store.

Next I took some directions from another site and got the rubbins out:

Now we're waiting to start cooking till tomorrow AM.

This is my first time doing this. Wish me luck.

I found a place that will, with 2-3 days notice, procure me a full brisket. I couldn't wait that long. Damn BBQ....it's a disease and I don't want no cure!
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 10:29:38 PM EST
I've got the grill I want to break-in.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 10:37:16 PM EST
Damnit, now I'm hungry.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 11:07:58 PM EST

Originally Posted By ProfessorEvil:
California sucks. Apparently we aren't allowed to buy an entire brisket here since some old granny tried picking one up and had a hernia.

WAIT, hold on here sparky.....

Are you telling me that there is a LAW IN CA, that prevents you buying, over the counter a FULL SIZED BRISKETT?

That you have to order one and WAIT FOR IT, HOLY SHIT, I have now read everything..........
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 11:42:46 PM EST
I am heating up leftover ribs from dinner right now!!
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 11:44:09 PM EST

Originally Posted By 1shott:

California sucks. Apparently we aren't allowed to buy an entire brisket here since some old granny tried picking one up and had a hernia.

Are you telling me that there is a LAW IN CA, that prevents you buying, over the counter a FULL SIZED BRISKETT?

That you have to order one and WAIT FOR IT, HOLY SHIT, I have now read everything..........

I think PE might have forgotten to use the [sarcasm] [/sarcasm] tags for that one.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 11:45:11 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/24/2004 12:08:50 AM EST by ProfessorEvil]

Originally Posted By leelaw:

I think PE might have forgotten to use the [sarcasm] [/sarcasm] tags for that one.

hehehe.

No, seriously...there's a 3-day waiting period for a brisket!! really!!

ok, this was funny:
www.rbjb.com/rbjb/rbjbboard/messages/353995.html
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:02:40 AM EST
Just an oft-topic comment about BBQing and marinating. If you get one of those vacuum sealers, you can marinate in minutes rather than hours. This could help speed up the process if you're in a hurry.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:07:54 AM EST
Don't forget to use wood........................it aint Q without it
Don't rush it.........................the slower the better
lower temps = better flavor and tenderness
Good luck
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:10:34 AM EST
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMBBQ
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:11:50 AM EST
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMBBQ
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:14:03 AM EST
A+ for the effort, PE!

But remember, no matter how much you enjoy the brisket...

It just ain't gonna melt in yer mouth like TRG's pork did!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:14:56 AM EST
Lookin' good, PE. My birds are going on the BBQ here in a couple of hours. They won't take near as long as a brisket, but I'll probably do a (preban) brisket later this week. Cook it low, slow and long. It's the only way to make it tender
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:22:47 AM EST

Originally Posted By nationwide:

Im not quite sure how to take this, but it doesnt sound good!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:27:05 AM EST

Originally Posted By Snorkel_Bob:

Good??? It was GREAT!!!

I had to wipe my chin it was soooo juicy! Yum Yum!!

Dude, I AM talking about food... heh
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:28:52 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/24/2004 8:31:22 AM EST by ProfessorEvil]

Originally Posted By Snorkel_Bob:

Good??? It was GREAT!!!

I had to wipe my chin it was soooo juicy! Yum Yum!!

Dude, I AM talking about food... heh

Some people just have the weirdest ideas about TRG. I dunno why.

An hour in and temps inside cooker are at 240. I closed the vents most of the way, should stay around that temp for another hour or two. Off for a nap.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:30:13 AM EST

Originally Posted By 19suburban96:
Don't forget to use woodPORK........................it aint Q without it
Good luck

Fixed it for ya
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:35:10 AM EST

Originally Posted By echo6:

Originally Posted By 19suburban96:
Don't forget to use woodPORK........................it aint Q without it
Good luck

Fixed it for ya

Eastern BBQ, maybe.

Texan/Kansas BBQ involves meat....be it cow, bird, or pig.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:45:23 AM EST
Cut against the grain when slicing. Makes it easier to cut at the dinner table when you happen to be slicing with the grain.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:49:23 AM EST

Originally Posted By wkenneth1:
Cut against the grain when slicing. Makes it easier to cut at the dinner table when you happen to be slicing with the grain.

Good tip! I'll have to file that one
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:57:58 AM EST
Hey, did you try Kinder's for the full brisket? They usually have shit like that. Good luck, post how it turns out. BTW, I'm a big fan of the Montreal seasoning, though I'm not sure how it would do on brisket.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:59:46 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:02:37 AM EST

Originally Posted By Paul:

California sucks. Apparently we aren't allowed to buy an entire brisket here since some old granny tried picking one up and had a hernia. In the mean time we can get the flats, so i'm going to try making a couple of them.

What's a brisket? Looks like a tri-tip to me but it's hard to tell - one cut south of the sirloin. I get 75 pounds at a time and end up with about 7 or 8 cuts in a box. Ask the butcher and they'll cut whatever you want as big as you want. You do have to find a store with an english speaking butcher. I go to Sam's believe it or not as they'll trim the fat back off the tri-tip for free.

Have a try at Santa Maria style tri-tip. I've cooked 800 pounds of the stuff in the last three years.

Cuts o' beef
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:05:26 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:07:53 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:08:15 AM EST
you bastards... im starving now, and i still have two hours left here at work!!!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:11:51 AM EST
Santa Maria style tri-tip - It's what's for dinner tonight!!

Have a try at Santa Maria style tri-tip. I've cooked 800 pounds of the stuff in the last three years.

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:20:42 AM EST

Hey I've got this bridge I want to sell you.

How many places in the US sell 30 pounds of beef in those little plastic trays? I think if you read all the way to the bottom of this post you'll see that he had to find the butcher who would cut the whole brisket off in one piece. I rarely see 30 pound slabs of meat sitting in the meat section but know that I actually have to ask the butcher for a cut - and that comes from living in Washington, North Carolina, Illinois, Colorado, and yes, even in California.

Your middle name isn't gullable is it?

I think Professor Evil was playing on the court case of Stella Liebeck who was an 81 year old retired retail clerk who spilled coffee while at the drive-through window of an McDonald's in Albuquerque, NM.

Sheesh you CA boys are a touchy lot...

did you miss the icon? and no I am not that gullable, BUT seeing as how it is CA.........you just never know........

As for 30lbs of meat, head on out to Oklahoma or Texas, that aint nothing....The butcher I use in town, sells entire racks of uncut RIBEYES, you can carry it out the door or he will slice it for there, however thick you want them steaks......

and if you really want to have some fun, do what we do from time to time, get all your buddies together, head on out to the sale barn, buy a young steer, come home, kill it, hang it, butcher it, and BBQ the whole damn thing.........
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:41:25 AM EST
Yep. 10-20lb briskets (packer trimmed, with the blade and the clod still attached to each other) are commonplace here, for around a buck and a half a pound. Makes for damn fine bbq, providing you do it right.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:43:24 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/24/2004 10:44:55 AM EST by ProfessorEvil]

What's a brisket? Looks like a tri-tip to me but it's hard to tell - one cut south of the sirloin. I get 75 pounds at a time and end up with about 7 or 8 cuts in a box. Ask the butcher and they'll cut whatever you want as big as you want. You do have to find a store with an english speaking butcher. I go to Sam's believe it or not as they'll trim the fat back off the tri-tip for free.

I see you've found out what it is. But when you pass through Texas next time try and find a local bbq joint that serves some. I like tri-tip and all....but... Brisket done right is awesome.

BTDT will keep doing it too. just not as often now that I have the smoker.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:59:01 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:59:22 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:02:19 AM EST

Originally Posted By TheRedGoat:
well? Dinner pics?

TRG

I got up at 8am yesterday to start cooking this thing. and that's damn early for me on a weekend.

No pics. Camera decided to take a dump last night.

OTOH, I had two women who couldn't stop stuffing my meat in their mouths.

And cornbread....man I love cornbread.

Anyways, it was good, turned out quite well. They were good looking. The fat cap was about to slide off. I had rave reviews. They had seconds. and thirds. And then one, after claiming "I'm so full" was sneaking pieces off the cutting board while I was slicing the rest for leftovers.

I rate it "really good" but not great. the outer layer on the point was flaking off, so i think it was a bit overdone there. But I'll be making it again.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:10:26 AM EST

I rate it "really good" but not great. the outer layer on the point was flaking off, so i think it was a bit overdone there. But I'll be making it again.

What temp did you cook it to?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:13:36 AM EST

Originally Posted By Gloftoe:

I dunno, i pulled it out when it passed the "fork test" (stab it, and it just pulls out clean and the meat doesn't move). I measured it then it was about 186F, so right on target for brisket.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:27:56 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:47:34 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/25/2004 11:49:18 AM EST by lvgunner777]
Congrats on your first brisket, it is almost a coming of age in my opinion to smoke your first piece of meat. (whatever it is, for you pork guys)

I use a horizontal barrel smoker that I keep at right around 230-240 degrees at meat level for about 1-1.5 hours per pound of brisket. My last brisket was an 11 pounder that was done at 14 hours. I pull the brisket and wrap it in aluminum foil and towels and put it a cooler until serving time. You can leave the meat in the cooler for a few hours with no problem, it will actually keep tenderizing through this process. Letting the meat rest for a while will let the juice go back into the meat as opposed to all over your cutting board. It isn't an exact science obviously.

I use lump charcoal with something called the minion method (do a google search for a killer way to bbq) and add big chunks of hickory wood that has been well soaked in cold water throughout the smoking process. I usually turn the brisket around about 3 times throughout the process to make sure it gets cooked evenly. I never turn it over, just turn it around, you always want the fat cap on top to baste the meat.

The rub goes on the night before and there is no science in rub, whatever you like put it on there, and let it sit overnight in the fridge. Also, give the brisket about an hour out of the fridge before you put it in the smoker, you will avoid creosote forming on your meat and the temperature drop will be less extreme when you do add the meat.

Always cut against the grain and serve the sauce on the side with a couple of slices of Wonder bread. Thats how I do it anyway.

Here is a brisket I did and some ribs too:

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:48:59 AM EST

I dunno, i pulled it out when it passed the "fork test" (stab it, and it just pulls out clean and the meat doesn't move). I measured it then it was about 186F, so right on target for brisket.

no such thing as 'too done' unless you dried it out, or burned it.

The really, super, crumbly stuff should be chopped fine, mixed with a little sauce then served on a bun.

Most briskets, when cooked properly, will have some 'sliced' portions, and some that is saved for 'chop'.

Sounds like you did pretty well, Rookie.

TRG

hehehe. A good portion of my office just got to smell it as I carted some back to my desk. Two of the hens have come by to get my social info now (so, you cook...and bake? Wow...and you're single? Oh, divorced...that's ok...hm...). Scary.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:50:44 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:32:29 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/25/2004 8:33:30 PM EST by Ratters]

The really, super, crumbly stuff should be chopped fine, mixed with a little sauce then served on a bun.

Most briskets, when cooked properly, will have some 'sliced' portions, and some that is saved for 'chop'.

TRG

hehehe. A good portion of my office just got to smell it as I carted some back to my desk. Two of the hens have come by to get my social info now (so, you cook...and bake? Wow...and you're single? Oh, divorced...that's ok...hm...). Scary.

Where the hell is that IT'S A TRAP! picture when you need it?

Oh wait, did you say "two"?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:59:59 PM EST

Originally Posted By Ratters:

TRG

Where the hell is that IT'S A TRAP! picture when you need it?

Oh wait, did you say "two"?

Hens aren't looking for me personally, they're trying to get me to meet some chicks. hopefully.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:32:46 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:46:33 AM EST
I like BBQ!!

That's some tasty looking dead animal ya got there!

My woman askes me sometimes in Dec. or Jan., "Do you think its too cold to BBQ now?"

My response is "Bite your tongue, its never too cold!"
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:56:56 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:01:15 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:03:14 AM EST

Originally Posted By leelaw:
I've got the grill I want to break-in.

BARBECUE AT LEE'S!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:08:30 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/26/2004 8:09:22 AM EST by freeride21a]
bah.. now i wanna smoke something... dang it.

If i drive out to the next gunstock.. I will do dinner one night... show yall mass quantity california style outdoor cookin which includes dutch ovens, bbq's, smokers, and a turkey deep fryer. meats include beef, chicken, and pork.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:13:34 AM EST
From your pick, I'd skip the Accent. Its just MSG and I think it makes the flavor cloying. And besides gives me a headache and drymouth.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:53:56 AM EST
man I just had some leftovers

It's still good. Yeah. The worst part is I end up smelling my fingers at random for the next few hours. I must look like some seriously nasty pervert. "NO.....It's my lunch!! really! Uh...I mean..what I ate for lunch! Oh hell nevermind."
Top Top