Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 7/22/2005 2:04:02 AM EDT
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4706787.stm

Train evacuated as 'shots heard'
Passengers have been evacuated from a Tube train on the Northern Line at Stockwell, south London, after hearing what appeared to be shots being fired.

Passenger Briony Coetsee said: "We were on the Tube and then we suddenly heard someone say, 'Get out, get out' and then we heard gunshots."

Police are hunting four would-be bombers after Thursday's London blasts.

The bombers fled after detonators went off, causing small blasts, but failed to detonate the bombs themselves.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 2:09:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Freaky.

They should try that shit here..

Just not in San Francisco or LA or people would donate money to the cause before they're blown up.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 2:11:00 AM EDT
[#2]
H & K MP5 Submachinegun = chlorine for the gene pool

This can't be right because everybody knows the 9mm sucks at personal defense.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 2:13:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Again....WTF....

Link Posted: 7/22/2005 2:18:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I hope it was a mag dump.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 2:20:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I like the bit where the plainclothes SO19 boys "bundled him to the floor before unloading five shots into him".

Which works very well as far as I'm concerned, hope those coppers come out of it smelling of roses.

/PHil
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 2:29:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I hope it was a mag dump.

I just heard on the radio, PD guys shot him 5 times. Developing story.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 2:33:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I hope this guy needed to be shot or a shit storm is gonna fly and they are gonna be under fire.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 2:44:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm just floored by the idea of a British cop shooting someone.  Not that it's a bad thing. It's just that it seems so sureal for the Brits to carry guns let alone actually use them.  But on the other hand, I'd be the first to buy the cop a pint. The British police have had their cherry busted.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 2:51:07 AM EDT
[#9]
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4706787.stm

Man shot by armed police on Tube
A man has been shot at Stockwell Tube station by armed police officers.

Passenger Mark Whitby told BBC News he had seen a man of Asian appearance shot five times by "plain-clothes police officers" with a handgun.

Passengers were evacuated from the Northern Line station in south London. Police have also cordoned off surrounding streets.

A mosque in east London has been evacuated after a bomb scare - but a police cordon has now been lifted.

The bombers fled after detonators went off, causing small blasts, but failed to detonate the bombs themselves.

Services on the Victoria and Northern lines have been suspended following a request by the police, London Underground said.

Ambulances including an air ambulance have been sent to the scene at Stockwell.

They pushed him to the floor, bundled on top of him and unloaded five shots into him
Witness Mark Whitby

'They unloaded five shots'

Mr Whitby, told BBC News: "I was sitting on the train reading my paper.

"I heard a load of noise, people saying, 'Get out, get down'!

"I saw an Asian guy run onto the train hotly pursued by three plain-clothes police officers.

"One of them was carrying a black handgun - it looked like an automatic - they pushed him to the floor, bundled on top of him and unloaded five shots into him.

"I saw the gun being fired five times into the guy - he's dead."

Passenger Briony Coetsee said: "We were on the Tube and then we suddenly heard someone say, 'Get out, get out' and then we heard gunshots."

Passenger Alison Bowditch told BBC News: "The tube pulled into the station and we were sitting there, you know, as you do and then there was just a lot of shouting and the sound of gunfire and then people were saying, 'Get off, get off!'

"Somebody definitely went to the ground and as they went to the ground I heard gun fire and assumed they had been shot."

Did you witness the shooting? Send us your eyewitness accounts using the form below.

Name:
Email address:
Town and Country:
Phone number (optional):
Comments:

The BBC may edit your comments and cannot guarantee that all emails will be published.

Link Posted: 7/22/2005 2:52:06 AM EDT
[#10]
With the threat of Suicide bombing on transit a real threat ....The  transit cops from my local transit system dont carry guns... Soccer moms / libbies dont like that idea...

Wonderful eh ?

Link Posted: 7/22/2005 2:53:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Man shot by armed police on Tube

A man has been shot at Stockwell Tube station by armed police officers, police confirm.
Passengers were evacuated from a Tube train on the Northern Line station in south London after the incident.

Passenger Mark Whitby told BBC News he had seen an Asian man shot five times by "plain-clothes police officers".

Services on the Victoria and Northern lines have been suspended following a request by the police, London Underground said.

Mr Whitby, told BBC News: "I saw an Asian guy run onto the train hotly pursued by three plain-clothes police officers.

"One of them was carrying a black handgun - it looked like an automatic - they pushed him to the floor, bundled on top of him and unloaded five shots into him."

"they pushed him to the floor, bundled on top of him and unloaded five shots into him."

That has to be quote of the year

Mark
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 2:54:04 AM EDT
[#12]
If someone is a suspected suicide bomber I don't see much alternative other than shooting them dead even if they have already taken him down. But with the British government prosecuting their own soldiers on flimsy grounds for actions in Iraq I hope these police don't find themselves on trial.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 3:10:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 3:13:45 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I'm just floored by the idea of a British cop shooting someone.  Not that it's a bad thing. It's just that it seems so sureal for the Brits to carry guns let alone actually use them.  But on the other hand, I'd be the first to buy the cop a pint. The British police have had their cherry busted.

More of them are armed than is publicly acknowledged.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 3:15:39 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think these guys are not just the ordinary garden variety bobbi, I believe some where it says they were plain clothes undercover. I bet those guy gots the guns.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 3:16:48 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh I have no doubt about that. It's just "weird" to hear about them actually shooting someone. Unlike here in the states where it is more common news.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 3:20:04 AM EDT
[#17]

"One of them was carrying a black handgun - it looked like an automatic - they pushed him to the floor, bundled on top of him and unloaded five shots into him.

"I saw the gun being fired five times into the guy - he's dead."

It took some guts to chase the guy down and tackle him, knowing that he could detonate.

Looks like the gloves are coming off in the UK.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 3:20:06 AM EDT
[#18]
The cops shoot plenty of people here.
I'd say there's at least one a week

Mark
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 3:20:11 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Oh I have no doubt about that. It's just "weird" to hear about them actually shooting someone. Unlike here in the states where it is more common news.

If it were in Los Angeles, the TV news would give this guy 2 minutes, and move on to other top stories.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 3:30:48 AM EDT
[#20]
So it begins -  

LONDON - Police shot to death a man wearing a thick coat at a subway station and cordoned off a mosque on Friday, a day after the city was hit by a second wave of terror attacks in two weeks.
ADVERTISEMENT

Metropolitan Police said the man died after being shot by officers at the Stockwell subway station in south London.

Passengers said they saw police pursuing a man who appeared to be of Pakistani or Indian descent. Some said police pursued him into a subway car and shot him when he tripped.

But one witness said police "pushed him onto the floor and unloaded five shots into him."

"He looked like a cornered fox. He looked petrified," Mark Whitby told the British Broadcasting Corp.

Police had no immediate details on the situation at the mosque in east London. But a Muslim leader said it was evacuated following a bomb threat.

Mohammed Abdul Bari, chairman of the East London Mosque, said the threat came in a telephone call Friday morning. A bomb squad came was searching the premises.

More than 6,000 people were expected for Friday afternoon prayers but there were only about a dozen people inside at the time of the threat.

From Yahoo.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 3:36:17 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If it were in Los Angeles, the TV news would give this guy 2 minutes, and move on to other top stories.

no 5 news  teams would be running next to guy give'n a step by step of whats going on while,interupting normal broadcast to do so..
and 16 new helo's would be circleing out side doing the same thing

then a criminals righst  group would be interviewed while they protested outside the courthouse, cry police brutality, and  the local goverment would pass a new law saying that cops would have to "ask"'  the bag guy if he is   in proper health before giving  chase on foot  sorry man,, just pokein' fun...
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 3:40:41 AM EDT
[#22]
The Sky News story

'SUICIDE BOMBER' SHOT

Police have killed a suspected suicide bomber at a Tube station in south London.

Armed officers opened fire on the suspect as he hurdled a ticket barrier and raced along a platform at Stockwell station.

Police screamed at passengers to evacuate and are thought to have shot the suspect as he stumbled on to a train.

Alarmed onlookers said they saw up to 10 plain-clothed officers chasing an Asian-looking man before opening fire.

Witness Mark Whitby was on the train as he saw a big man wearing a large coat and "looking absolutely petrified" lurch through the doors.

Admitting to being "totally distraught", he went on: "He half-tripped, was half-pushed to the floor.

"The policeman nearest to me had the black automatic pistol in his left hand, he held it down to the guy and unloaded five shots into him."                  

Unconfirmed reports suggest the man was involved in Thursday's assault on the capital.

If the suspect is proved to be a suicide bomber, it would mark the fifth attempted terrorist attack on London in less than a day.

Stockwell Tube alert

A Scotland Yard spokesman said: "We can confirm that just after 10am armed officers shot a male at Stockwell Underground station.

"A man was challenged by officers and subsequently shot. London Ambulance Service attended the scene. He was pronounced dead at the scene."

Police are believed to be under orders to shoot to kill if they believe someone is about to detonate a bomb.

Sky News Crime Correspondent Martin Brunt said: "The officer or officers involved in this clearly felt this suspect was about to detonate a bomb."

Three eyewitnesses were taken to a nearby veterinary surgery by police before being taken away for interview.

Tube services on the Northern Line have been suspended at the request of police but the Victoria is running again.

An earlier bomb threat targeting a mosque in east London has been given the all-clear by police.

Way to go Metro Police!!! +10000000

Link Posted: 7/22/2005 3:51:46 AM EDT
[#23]
I love happy endings..Later Haji
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 3:56:35 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
If someone is a suspected suicide bomber I don't see much alternative other than shooting them dead even if they have already taken him down. But with the British government prosecuting their own soldiers on flimsy grounds for actions in Iraq I hope these police don't find themselves on trial.

The Israelis have found the Palestinians usually stick to a battery, a few wires and the explosives, no fancy push-button detonantors.  The bomber will hold one wire in each hand (run up his sleeves) and will touch his palms together when he wants to detonate. The first thing they do when they catch one is make him put his arms out to the sides so hopefully he can be shot before touching the wires together.  Of course, this wouldnt work if they spent a buck on a switch and insulated wires...

Kharn
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 3:57:44 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I like the bit where the plainclothes SO19 boys "bundled him to the floor before unloading five shots into him".

Which works very well as far as I'm concerned, hope those coppers come out of it smelling of roses.

/PHil

Works for me

I like

Taffy
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 4:01:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 4:15:38 AM EDT
[#27]
killed him?

I was hoping for two shots to the knees, a couple in the elbows and one to the groin...

at least he would be able to talk and give info.

Essayons
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 4:18:35 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
killed him?

I was hoping for two shots to the knees, a couple in the elbows and one to the groin...

at least he would be able to talk and give info.

Essayons

Only in Steven Siegal movies.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 4:24:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Bombing suspect runs from cops, struggles with cops, and one of them notices he might be trying to detonate a bomb.

5 shots sounds to be about 10 shots too few if you ask me.

But there WILL be hand wringing in the UK about this. And loud hand wringing at that.

"You shot him while he was down!"

Apparently only upright people can trigger a bomb with a button...
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 4:28:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Should ahve shot to slide lock, but other than that, good fucking job.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 4:30:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Fox reporting no bomb, but thick coat.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 4:31:47 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Where's Andy?

We need an 'Our Man in Britain' report on this one!

Eric The(Cheer'yo)Hun

Andy's at work I think.
I'm stuck at home because the Hackney Rd bus bomb was only 190yds from work and the whole area's shut down.

There is a police news update in 10 minutes (at the bottom of the hour.)
Will keep you all posted of any developments.

One thing I do know at the moment, they were watching this guy since yesterday. He was the suspect for the Oval train incident. The police had been following him. He did not have a rucksack, but did have a heavy overcoat on. (It's quite warm today). They thought this suspicious and challenged him.
He ran, they brought him down and slotted him.
'Nuff said

Mark
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 4:43:33 AM EDT
[#33]
So I'm no explosives expert but I have a question you guys should be able to help me with.

It came to me after hearing about this earlier today that it might not be such a good idea to shoot

for center of mass.  Now I realize that some explosives take a bit more than just a bullet hit to

detonate them.  Will an explosive made of something like black powder be set off by a bullet strike?

If so, it should follow that a headshot is the safest shot.

Any thoughts on this?

Link Posted: 7/22/2005 4:44:47 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
So I'm no explosives expert but I have a question you guys should be able to help me with.

It came to me after hearing about this earlier today that it might not be such a good idea to shoot

for center of mass.  Now I realize that some explosives take a bit more than just a bullet hit to

detonate them.  Will an explosive made of something like black powder be set off by a bullet strike?

If so, it should follow that a headshot is the safest shot.

Any thoughts on this?

No, a normal bullet won't set off something like black powder.

Some home made explosives are so volatile that shock might set them off, but those aren't used very often.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 4:45:49 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Where's Andy?

We need an 'Our Man in Britain' report on this one!

Eric The(Cheer'yo)Hun

Andy's at work I think.
I'm stuck at home because the Hackney Rd bus bomb was only 190yds from work and the whole area's shut down.

There is a police news update in 10 minutes (at the bottom of the hour.)
Will keep you all posted of any developments.

One thing I do know at the moment, they were watching this guy since yesterday. He was the suspect for the Oval train incident. The police had been following him. He did not have a rucksack, but did have a heavy overcoat on. (It's quite warm today). They thought this suspicious and challenged him.
'Nuff said

Mark

Bingo.

Some are making it sound like they just tackled a guy and shot him for the heck of it.

He was a suspect in the bombing yesterday. The cops weren't taking any chances.

Good for them.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 4:48:34 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

'Nuff said
Mark

Great news. If he is indeed a suspect from yesterday's bombing, and they were following him all along, I'm glad they dispatched him accordingly. Why is it that I think the cop who shot him did so willingly and with a certain amount of glee....I know I would be....
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 4:50:04 AM EDT
[#37]

"...slotted him."

I'll have to remember that one.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 4:51:06 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Great news. If he is indeed a suspect from yesterday's bombing, and they were following him all along, I'm glad they dispatched him accordingly. Why is it that I think the cop who shot him did so willingly and with a certain amount of glee....I know I would be....

No, I imagine that the trigger man was thinking:

HOLY @$^@#^!& THIS GUY IS GOING TO BLOW US UP!!!

Link Posted: 7/22/2005 4:56:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Look, you're the cop.  You're following this guy that you KNOW tried to bomb a subway yesterday.

The guy, wearing an oversize coat on a hot day (pucker), decides to run, and takes his oversized coat wearing self into a crowded subway.

A running headshot in a crowded subway is not an attractive option.

Those cops tackled his ass where they could get an angle of fire downward and took him out.  

Incredible bravery.

Link Posted: 7/22/2005 5:02:43 AM EDT
[#40]
If he didn't have a bomb on him, there is going to be a shitstorm.  Doesn't matter if we or the cops felt it was justified.  It's just going to look horribly bad that they tackled an unarmed man and basically executed him while he was on the ground.  And some will be upset that they also lost the chance to interrogate him.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 5:10:37 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Look, you're the cop.  You're following this guy that you KNOW tried to bomb a subway yesterday.

The guy, wearing an oversize coat on a hot day (pucker), decides to run, and takes his oversized coat wearing self into a crowded subway.

Those cops tackled his ass where they could get an angle of fire downward and took him out.  

Incredible bravery.

Couldn't agree more

Mark
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 5:15:45 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, I imagine that the trigger man was thinking:

HOLY @$^@#^!& THIS GUY IS GOING TO BLOW US UP!!!

That too!
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 7:20:47 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Incredible bravery.

Couldn't agree more

Mark

Yup.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 7:35:54 AM EDT
[#44]
just a question - you mentioned that a bullet would not detonate the charge - but would the muzzle flash at point blank do it?
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 7:42:04 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
just a question - you mentioned that a bullet would not detonate the charge - but would the muzzle flash at point blank do it?

Depends on the explosive, but most likely no. Only really volatile explosives would be capable of being set off by muzzle flash, and then probably a few stray ashes from a cigarette would do the same thing.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 7:46:30 AM EDT
[#46]
From FoxNews. Pics of the suspects from yesterdays attempt.

Link Posted: 7/22/2005 7:49:19 AM EDT
[#47]
I thought it would be fun to see what the DU'er are saying about this........

=====================================================================
SoCalDem  (1000+ posts)      Fri Jul-22-05 06:04 AM
Original message
So they are executing people on the streets of London?
Eyewitness on BBC news (just now) was being interviewed live, and said that the police chased the man, pushed him down, and one police "sat on him" , and fired 5 shots into him while he lay on the ground..

They better hope he had a 'bomb-belt" on him:

Talk about the Wild West attitude of GWB

Wonder if we'll see THAT footage

====================================================================

bribri16 (294 posts)      Fri Jul-22-05 06:43 AM
Response to Reply #1

The entire world is destablized, as was warned before invasion of
Iraq. Briton is Briton no more

SoCalDem  (1000+ posts)      Fri Jul-22-05 06:15 AM
Response to Reply #7

I can see a young person who might be an illegal immigrant
and not speak the language..being very afraid of police.. This will get very ugly..

I feel for the cops too.. If they miss out on capturing a "bad guy", innocent people may die.

Catch-22..Just like bin laden wants
ladjf (1000+ posts)      Fri Jul-22-05 06:14 AM
Response to Original message

8. Maybe somebody didn't want him around as a witness.
=====================================================================

57. Yeah, like I told you

ask any Afro-American or, for that matter, any dark-skinned person or Ay-Rab-looking person about running from the cops.

Happens all the time

Link Posted: 7/22/2005 7:53:09 AM EDT
[#48]
OK, Bobbies are trained to jump on guys that are wearing bomb vests...

Seems logical; If you’re going to get blown to kingdom come, you might as well smother the fragments as much as possible.

Where’s the controversy?
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 8:20:20 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Should ahve shot to slide lock, but other than that, good fucking job.

+1, when in doubt dump the mag.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 8:35:04 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Incredible bravery.

+1

Especially when you consider the officers will probably be found guilty of murder.  Seems to happen a lot to police in England,  no matter how justified the shoot.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top