Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2016 6:12:19 PM EDT
My wife's uncle had this happen today. Was in his pocket.  Don't know what kind of battery or mod. What is a good guess as to what caused it?  Cheap batteries? Shitty mod?  Got stuck on in his pocket? ..?

Edit for stupid auto correct

Link Posted: 1/21/2016 7:04:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 7:44:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Now I'm being told it was just the battery.  Trying to find out what battery/get a pic and if he had anything else that was metal in his pocket.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 7:51:46 PM EDT
[#3]
A Marlboro would have been safer
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:05:07 PM EDT
[#4]
It was an IPV4 with a Kanger tank.  Don't know what batteries or charger or if he was charging it through the 9v port yet.

But supposedly it was just the battery (spare batteries)  by itself in his pocket with nothing else in his pocket with it.

I'll let you know.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:32:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:46:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just one battery or two in his pocket?
View Quote

Battery and keys / change is my guess.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 9:41:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 9:48:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Battery with something else metallic and conductive in his pocket would be my guess as well. Drop a 9 volt in your pocket with some keys and change and see what happens! A 26650 would be even worse.

VW mods like he was using have time out functions on the fire button for cases like this. They  won't fire if the resistance on the coil is to low either. No, this is most likely a case of the user dropping a battery or two in his pocket with something conductive and shorted the battery out causing an explosion and fire.

MAC3 - I hope that your wife's uncle recovers quickly!! That is a nasty burn that will take a long time to heal and will be prone to infection. Prayers sent his way....
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 9:50:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Holyfuckingshit.

ETA - So, that's where SPAM comes from.

Link Posted: 1/21/2016 9:58:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Holyfuckingshit.

ETA - So, that's where SPAM comes from.

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/21/2016 10:47:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 1/21/2016 10:54:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Hopefully he heals quick and on the bright side he's gonna get paid. Most likely won't even have to get a lawyer or sue either.

One of my tenants had one explode while charging. It was on a glass table. Burned a small hole in the linoleum. Three days later he got a check on the mail for $3000

That was with no personal injury and virtually no property damage
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 11:13:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 11:14:56 PM EDT
[#14]
The leg looks done on that side, time to flip it over.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 11:40:57 PM EDT
[#15]
So I was getting all this info from my wife's mom, the guys sister, and as we were texting she said he was in the burn unit at the University of utah. I thought she was with him so told her to stop texting him my questions till he feels better.

But he did state he only had the batteries in his pocket. I don't know if it was 1 or 2.  In a couple days I can probably get more info about batteries and stuff.

Eta. I was driving in the desert one time to my shooting spot and my leg started getting warm, then hot as fuck.  Had 2 cr123's in my pocket and some change.  

So I understand he might have had something else in his pocket. Ill find out for sure and update
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 11:54:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Skin graph. graft.

Got my share.

Danny
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 12:57:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

So I can make one of mine blow up and get "paid"??
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hopefully he heals quick and on the bright side he's gonna get paid. Most likely won't even have to get a lawyer or sue either.

One of my tenants had one explode while charging. It was on a glass table. Burned a small hole in the linoleum. Three days later he got a check on the mail for $3000

They e-cig company didn't have him send the unit in and didn't ask for pics or anything. It was basically: (him) "hey my e-cig blew up"   (them) "ok, here's a check for $3000"

I was there when the check was delivered. it came UPS red or whatever

Eta: this wasn't one of the fancy expensive ones. It was one of those $10 gas station specials
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 1:57:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

They e-cig company didn't have him send the unit in and didn't ask for pics or anything. It was basically: (him) "hey my e-cig blew up"   (them) "ok, here's a check for $3000"

Eta: this wasn't one of the fancy expensive ones. It was one of those $10 gas station specials
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

there's wisdom right there.  Gas station mods, unknown or cheap batteries, etc. is a recipe for...well, the unknown.  The unknown might be boom town, or bad performance.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 2:16:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

But he did state he only had the batteries in his pocket. I don't know if it was 1 or 2.  In a couple days I can probably get more info about batteries and stuff.
View Quote

So..."ecig blew up" is not accurate.  Might wanna change the thread title, before the dummies in GD get even more retarded ideas in their head about ecigs.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 2:21:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

So..."ecig blew up" is not accurate.  Might wanna change the thread title, before the dummies in GD get even more retarded ideas in their head about ecigs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you know as well as I do that it doesn't matter.    Shoestring is a machine gun.  battery is a vaporizer.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 1:35:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

fixed, didn't think about it
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 5:00:09 PM EDT
[#22]
That's what happens when you short a battery in your pocket.  They make little rubber battry holder things for under a buck that prevent that.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 5:06:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good man.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 11:49:55 PM EDT
[#24]
There has to be more to the story weather he ever tells you or not.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 5:02:26 PM EDT
[#25]
.50-1.50 cost of a hardshell or rubber battery case would have saved him thousands and unlimited amounts of pain.

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:53:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It was an IPV4 with a Kanger tank.  Don't know what batteries or charger or if he was charging it through the 9v port yet.

But supposedly it was just the battery (spare batteries)  by itself in his pocket with nothing else in his pocket with it.

I'll let you know.
View Quote

I've been sensitive about this issue since pictures started surfacing. This isn't the first time I have seen this.

I use a stora-cell. I keep it in a different pocket than my keys and change. No metal runs with my cells.

http://www.storacell.net/18650-Battery-Caddy-orange_p_86.html
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:59:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Pierced. He pierced a lipo battery with a sharp object.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:07:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Airplane on tradmill.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:17:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:11:33 PM EDT
[#30]

Finally got pics. Sorry it took so long.

Eta. The pic of his charger was on a bankstatement and it looked like some numbers were visible.  It was a nitecore i2.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:19:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Is that what a real Efest lable looks like?  Maybe a re-wrap?

Link Posted: 3/3/2016 7:10:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Did you find out if there was anything else in his pocket?  I would go ask his sis but I'm to lazy to walk 20 feet.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 10:06:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Well, that's a little scary, since that's the exact battery I use...
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 10:07:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Looks identical to the ones that I have.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 10:28:19 AM EDT
[#36]

Link Posted: 3/9/2016 10:29:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Looks like a new style for them

Efest Link
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 6:57:55 PM EDT
[#38]

Exactly what I use for my batteries so don't have to worry about shorting them in a pocket.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:31:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
A Marlboro would have been safer
View Quote

maybe i too drunk to comment
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top