Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2001 3:59:11 AM EDT
Some of you MAY be aware....

...that the DSA / Tapco brake for the STG58 FAL was coming under fire by the little tyrants at BATF as being a "suppressor." (yeah, the flame at the end of my barrel was "suppressed" from 4' long to 3' long [rolleyes]  )

Well, it seems that BATF has reversed itself and now the Steyr STG58 brake is OK.  DSA is sending me BATF's letter stating this. ( I REALLY hate that BATF gets to issue these dictatorial edicts.)

Now, I don't mean to take credit, but I DID send a letter to both BATF and to Treasury Secretary Paul O'NEill (Treasury oversees BATF)

MAYBE?? just maybe letters DO make a difference.

ONE thing is for sure - this NEVER would have happened under Fidel Clinton. And I give credit where due - to GWB and his appointees.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 4:28:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Let's hope writing letters does some good.
Now, if we can write about the "Ban" sunsetting, we might be on to something.

Of course, I may be the only one on the Forum who's written to the President...[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 5:05:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 5:52:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Hmmmm, wondering what the original thinking was that a supressor was a bad thing?

I guess if you had one and you are a bad guy you can shoot Government Agents from cover and not reveal your position?

Why would the Federales worry about such nonsense, why if one of their 'subjects' gets out of line they can always call in the Snipers, APCs, and Blackhawks?
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 5:53:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't F'N roll your eyes at me pal. I have written the Prez. more than I have written my grandmother ans Santa combined!!!  [:(!]
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 9:41:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks God that foolishness was reversed!
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 10:02:47 AM EDT
[#6]
One small step for mankind.............
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 10:20:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Since I'm not sure by what enumerated power the gov't has the authority to run roughshod over my rights I'd hesitate to say the BATF is starting to make sense.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 10:33:06 AM EDT
[#8]
If the ATF is so wishy washy in their decisions, what is going to keep them from changing their minds again?

The ATF would only start to make sense if they released a legally binding statement admitting that they are an unconstitutional agency and are disbanding.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 10:51:53 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a feeling this is a result of the TF finding out they CANNOT classify the brake as a flash hider without reclassifying almost every brake.

When the government decides not to do something, it is not out of benevolence or common sence, it is because they find out they can't. Reasons for this vary, sometimes it's that pesky constitution but in this case it was probably that a workable "definition" could not be created.

A secondary, but less important, factor is Ashcrofts position as Attorney General. If the ATF tried to BS there way through it John may have killed it. They knew they would have to go by the book to get it past the new administartion. This meant the "workable definition" was critical.

Don't give these guys too much credit, I've seen them work.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 10:55:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If the ATF is so wishy washy in their decisions, what is going to keep them from changing their minds again?
View Quote

Well, in THIS case, that's why I'm getting a copy opf BATF's letter to DSA to cover my six.

The ATF would only start to make sense if they released a legally binding statement admitting that they are an unconstitutional agency and are disbanding.
View Quote

Here, here  [beer]

Link Posted: 8/27/2001 11:09:10 AM EDT
[#11]
A post with the subject "BATF starting to make some sense????"  That's an obvious troll.  Will the moderator please handle this guy.  Oops, he is the moderator. :)

Also, I wouldn't talk too loudly about 4' balls of flame from the muzzles of our FAL's.  The BATF might try to reclassify them as flamethrowers.  I think my Mosin Nagant M44 would also qualify.

Offtopic:  I have a G1 kit on the way.  I can't wait to shoot it.  I feel like a kid at Christmas, because I'm looking out the windows for the BBT every time a car goes by.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 11:15:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Let's hope writing letters does some good.
Now, if we can write about the "Ban" sunsetting, we might be on to something.

Of course, I may be the only one on the Forum who's written to the President...[rolleyes]
View Quote

Not the only one....Hopefully enough get in there to make them really think when it comes around rather than just blindly resigning it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 11:20:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 3:19:05 PM EDT
[#14]
hey garand man where can i get a flamethrower then?
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 3:20:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top