Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 2/9/2006 9:47:45 AM EDT
Wednesday 02/15/2006 - 4:30 PM
2141 Rayburn House Office Building
Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, and Homeland Security
Oversight Hearing of "The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) Part 1: Gun Show Enforcement."
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:55:10 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:55:42 AM EDT
this is where they get to make up legislation all on their own.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:56:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/9/2006 9:57:27 AM EDT by CRC]
US HOUSE JUDICIARY COMMITTEE

Hear is the committee chairman:

Honorable Howard Coble
2468 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515-3306
(202) 225-3065
Website

You can contact the committee for more details
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:03:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/9/2006 10:10:26 AM EDT by CRC]
POSTED ON THEHIGHROAD.ORG

Hearing on BATFE Abuses (from NRA-ILA) Feb 15

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NRA-ILA Alert Feb 8

OVERSIGHT HEARING SET ON BATFE ABUSE AT RICHMOND, VA GUN SHOWS

On February 15, the U.S. House Judiciary Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism and Homeland Security will hold an oversight hearing to investigate apparent wrongdoing by BATFE at a Richmond, VA gun show last August.

In 2004-05, a troubling pattern emerged at a number of Richmond, VA-area gun shows, where hundreds of BATFE agents and state and local police staked out local shows. Immediately upon learning of these incidents, NRA began investigating and working to ensure congressional oversight hearings would be held to determine any wrongdoing and ensure BATFE was not overstepping its bounds or violating the law.

BATFE agents copied lawful gun purchase transaction records and provided this information to local police officers, who in turn conducted "residency checks." Federal law prohibits the release of this information except to state and local police to identify prohibited purchasers or recipients of guns. The information provided to local police prompted multiple instances of officers showing up at the homes of those who lawfully purchased firearms from licensed dealers at area gun shows. On occasions when the lawful purchasers were not at home, agents questioned family members (for example, inquiring of a wife if she knew her husband was at a gun show and/or had purchased a firearm) or their neighbors. In other cases, reports surfaced of lawful gun owners and holders of valid carry permits having their firearms confiscated.

Those interested in watching the hearings online may do at http://judiciary.house.gov/schedule.aspx.

So now we all get to watch SIXPACK.

Hopefully CSPAN will also cover this!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:07:50 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:10:52 AM EDT
Damn, how many douchebags here said that this was a "made-up event" or "probably didn't happen like described" or "Philip Van Cleave must be a liar because I haven't heard of this"?

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:11:09 AM EDT
Everyone needs to call Chairman Coble and demand this hearing be held and be available to the public.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:34:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SHIVAN:
Damn, how many douchebags here said that this was a "made-up event" or "probably didn't happen like described" or "Philip Van Cleave must be a liar because I haven't heard of this"?

+1 I remember all the idiots saying this was all made up bullshit.

Riight, oversight hearing's on things that never happened,?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:39:00 AM EDT
I hope justice will be served.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:16:23 PM EDT
I hope it is fair and brings out the truth
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:47:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CRC:

It will. And then they will do nothing except promote the perps.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:53:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By drjarhead:

Coburn is A rated by the GOA so thier is hope. That said AG Gonzalez will make it all go away. Also our cause has no media support and will recieve 0 coverage. Would I be overly optimistic in asking if the NRA GOA and SAF are in the loop???
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:31:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Mattl:

Coburn is A rated by the GOA so thier is hope. That said AG Gonzalez will make it all go away. Also our cause has no media support and will recieve 0 coverage. Would I be overly optimistic in asking if the NRA GOA and SAF are in the loop???

NRA recently released a bulletin regarding the hearing I believe.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:44:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Mattl:

NRA/GOA rating or not....Rep. Coburn will chew some ass......BATFE representative will mea culpa or just stonewall.....nothing will be done.

Those of you looking for BATFE to get thier dicks slapped will be sorely dissapointed.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:45:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SHIVAN:

Javaman, for one....
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:47:54 AM EDT

Don't count on it...
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:49:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/10/2006 4:51:37 AM EDT by Wobblin-Goblin]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:50:26 AM EDT

The information provided to local police prompted multiple instances of officers showing up at the homes of those who lawfully purchased firearms from licensed dealers at area gun shows. On occasions when the lawful purchasers were not at home, agents questioned family members (for example, inquiring of a wife if she knew her husband was at a gun show and/or had purchased a firearm) or their neighbors. In other cases, reports surfaced of lawful gun owners and holders of valid carry permits having their firearms confiscated.

But yet LEO's who are found to be in possesion of illegal MG's should be allowed to get off with a slap on the wrist with the full support of ten chiefs of police.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:52:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/10/2006 5:02:49 AM EDT by John_Wayne777]
For those interested in a refresher on what happened, here is the archive link to my original thread:

archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=380592

And another thread on the topic that got locked due to stupidity on the part of some people who couldn't refrain from juvenile behavior:

archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=382102
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:05:40 AM EDT
Anyone got a link to the thread about this issue from the Virginia Hometown board. I couldn't find it. It is a very interesting read.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:06:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Q3131A:
Anyone got a link to the thread about this issue from the Virginia Hometown board. I couldn't find it. It is a very interesting read.

DOAH!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:20:27 AM EDT

Honorable Howard Coble
(202) 225-3065
Website

how do we do that, I want to see if any of my local reps are invovled?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:50:30 AM EDT
I wanna watch the Democrats try to explain why a law abiding American who lawfully purchases a firearm should be subjected to more investigation by the .gov than someone who is on the telephone with, you know, Bin Laden!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:51:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By GonzoAR15-1:
I wanna watch the Democrats try to explain why a law abiding American who lawfully purchases a firearm should be subjected to more investigation by the .gov than someone who is on the telephone with, you know, Bin Laden!

An excellent question.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:54:13 PM EDT
Just heard about this on NRA NEWS RADIO. Sounds like i need to call Jeff Flake.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:03:32 PM EDT
Bump for the night crew.

Some good reading.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:14:51 AM EDT
Tag for later .
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:26:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/11/2006 10:28:25 AM EDT by Mauser101]
I just this morning heard about this for the first time. Anybody have any more in depth info on the matter (I won't be able to watch the hearing)? ed) spoke too soon, just saw the archive threads

Oh, and bump.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:11:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Mauser101:
I just this morning heard about this for the first time. Anybody have any more in depth info on the matter (I won't be able to watch the hearing)? ed) spoke too soon, just saw the archive threads

Oh, and bump.

As the archive threads make clear, the ATFE got WAAAAAAY too big for their britches.

One of the most important things we can do in this nation is to REMOVE discretionary authority from the ATFE in the realm of firearms. Their history demonstrates that they cannot handle the authority properly. The people who seem to lead the ATFE are habitually hostile towards law abiding citizens.

Thus their authority needs to be sharply curbed.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:34:07 PM EDT
Bump
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:35:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Fourays2:

Honorable Howard Coble
(202) 225-3065
Website

how do we do that, I want to see if any of my local reps are invovled?

Here are the folks that sit on that sub-committee, get on the phones boys

Hon. Coble
Chairman
(R) North Carolina, 6th

Hon. Lungren
(R) California, 3rd

Hon. Green
(R) Wisconsin, 8th

Hon. Feeney
(R) Florida, 24th

Hon. Chabot
(R) Ohio, 1st