Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2003 11:04:10 AM EDT
I figured I would post this question here as no matter what time of day, no matter the subject, there is always someone who has answers.  

I have a 2001 F-150.  The last few days the heater has been stuck on defrost.  No matter what I set the switch to it blows out the defrost vents.  Cold air, warm air, doesn't matter.  I pulled the panel off and checked the wiring, all appears snug.  Any suggestions?  What can I expect from the mechanic?  I have never met a mechanic I trust so I want to be prepared for the BS.

Thanks.
Shawn
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:15:15 AM EDT
If there is a problem with the air distribution system, the system will default to blowing air out the defrosters for obvious safety reasons.

I checked for Ford service bulletins but I couldn't find any.  The system diagnostics indicates that the system is run by vacuum.  It is very possible that you have a vacuum line disconnected under the hood.  There is also a vacuum accumulator, a plastic chamber, that can crack.

Did you have the oil changed recently or any other work?  Could someone have knocked a vacuum line loose?  Do a good search under the hood before you take it in.  This could be a very simple problem.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:16:21 AM EDT
Either your close off vent is stuck or the thingamajig that dehumidifies is stuck on.

Hope that helps.
Turn your car on and the defroster off.
Go under your hood and see if that compressor is on or off.

(I am not mechianic, just spent a few years under the hood in a private garage for extra money in high school)

Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:27:58 AM EDT
No work on it lately.  I just noticed that when I was driving the other (mind wandering) that my goddamn eyes were on fire.  I then realized that while I set the heat to the floor it was coming out the defroster and cooking my head like a convection oven.  I fiddled with the switch, nada.  Now I have to pull a mustache hair every few miles when it is cold to make my eyes water.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:29:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/30/2003 11:32:50 AM EDT by u-baddog]
[s]Have you or someone put a radio in , or been under the hood lately ?
Oil change maybe , If so check for a vacuum line knocked off.[/s]

Here is a hint to stop the hair pulling. Turn the sun visor down almost 90 deg. and this will deflect the hot air.

Edited because I jumped the gun and didnt read the whole thread first.

Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:41:06 AM EDT
Originally Posted By u-baddog:
Here is a hint to stop the hair pulling. Turn the sun visor down almost 90 deg. and this will deflect the hot air.
View Quote

I guess that is better than driving around in MOP gear.
Top Top