Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/10/2001 10:25:39 AM EDT
There's no shame here. I don't know the difference and need help choosing.

I'm doing a brake job on my F350.  It's a 1 ton crew cab and the most hauling I do is when I'm towing a loaded 26 ft. RV (approx 5k lbs.) and have three dirt bikes plus gear, firewood, and an extra 30 gals. of water in the bed (approx 750 lbs).

I don't know which brand of brakes to buy.

Raybestos?

Bendix?

I don't want to start a brand loyalty pissin' match here, I just want to know if anybody can justify which brand is better based on durability and reliability facts or experiences.

I've already called my local Ford dealer and I absolutely refuse to pay dealer prices for original Motorcraft parts.

After calling all my local auto parts stores, the most common brand is Raybestos with Bendix coming in second. Autozone carries a brand they call Performance Friction (Never heard of them).

Can anyone educate me on this?  Thanks in advance for any replies.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 10:28:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I think I read on a jeep forum to call NAPA and get some of their pads with a lifetime warranty.  I think they're reybestos brand.  Hope that helps a little.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 10:32:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 10:41:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, since you didn't specify if you were doing front,back,or both.

I will give you my experience.

I recently changed my front brakes (Disc of course) on my Dakota R/T and I went with Raybestos 'Quiet Stop' Brakes. They're not like your ordinary Metallic/Semi-Metallic Pads. These are made from a Ceramic composite. and MAN! do they work Goooooooood! Another plus is they don't put off all that nasty black brake dust either!

Now granted I don't do much (READ: any) towing like you will, so you may want to check with Raybestos and see if it's recomended for your application, if you should chose to go that route.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 5:19:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the feedback, guys.

I called my NAPA dealer and their brakes are in fact made by Raybestos.  For my application they offer a premium pad which is semi metallic and a super duty pad which is also semi metallic but uses a harder material which will cause more wear on my rotors, in my opinion.  Their super duty is recommended more for commercial applications where heavy loads are regularly transported.

I didn't get a chance to call Ford and find out what came originally on the truck, though I suspect they were semi met's.

I know there is a variety of grades of material used for pads.  Unfortunately, I don't know the pros/cons to each.  

Ceramic are supposed to be cleaner and dissipate heat better, but how long do they last under hard braking?

The premium variety of semi metallics are supposed to be made of harder material, but does that mean shorter life for my rotors and increased chance of squealing?

Right now I'm just doing my front pads, but I plan on using same brand for my shoes when it's their turn.  So far it looks like I'm going with semi metallic Raybestos.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 9:25:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
For my application they offer a premium pad which is semi metallic and a super duty pad which is also semi metallic but uses a harder material which will cause more wear on my rotors, in my opinion.
The premium variety of semi metallics are supposed to be made of harder material, but does that mean shorter life for my rotors and increased chance of squealing?
View Quote

I think you should get the best because it seems that you do some heavy duty hauling, and when you step on brakes, you want it to stop.  The rotors should last a long time. Most of the time when you wear out rotors, the linings have worn down to the backing, and hitting the rotor.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 9:33:26 PM EDT
[#6]
What ever you decide on, try to get pads with the "Lifetime Warranty."  As long as you fill out the registration card and HOLD ONTO THE RECIEPT you will never have to buy brake pads again as long as you own your truck.  I had this set up with Raybestos on my 89 Bronco but I sold it.  I don't think Raybestos offers this any more because of people like me.  My Bronco used the semi-metallics (compromise between quick stopping and going easy on the rotors).  With ABS brakes in the rear, the pads worked just fine.  No all I have left is my Midas lifetime warranty on my 1983 Mercedes.  Turns out they have to get these custom made Italian muffleres for my car.  The best part is that they always fall apart every couple of years.  Every time I go to get new "under warranty" mufflers, the guys at the shop try to be stealthy and take my reciept away.  NO WAY JOSE!  Like I said, hold onto that reciept!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top