Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2010 11:41:03 AM EDT
Had an accident with a 3 ft tall stump and trashed my old tailgate last week.  Dealership ordered a new one to paint and got it in on Tuesday morning.  Manager called me just a few minutes ago to tell me it will be ready tomorrow.  Guess they painted it once, but the humidity changed (bunch of rain did come in yesterday) so they had to paint it again today (still rainy though).  That sort of worries me.  Don't they paint those in a humidity controlled room?  

Anyhow, it's an off-white color and will hide imperfections, so I'd like to know of any tips to look for a quality paint job.

My insurance will cover the paint for life since I used this shop, and the shop has their own life-time guarantee as well.  But I'm just nervous when it comes to any mechanical or body work.  Been burnt too many times.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:46:56 AM EDT
[#1]
they are full of shit.

It either didn't get done yet and are trying to buy time because they are behind or the painted fucked up the color or ran the shit out of the clear and burned it while cutting the run out requiring a repaint.

Humidity doesn't do shit to paint except increase flash time which at worst results in some dyeback or solvent pop needing the clear to be buffed.

I paint cars for a living . I wouldn't worry about it if your insurance covers paint for life.

The only thing you would be able to spot wrong twith a brand new panel is bad color match or shitty clear finish which needs to be buffed. Good paint wont malfunction on a new panel.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:48:19 AM EDT
[#2]
What victor said. Humidity doesn't do much in my experience.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:49:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Shop is FOS and buying time for a F up, but not due to humidity.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:54:14 AM EDT
[#4]
1st post... well Guess it's in his genes
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:55:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
they are full of shit.

It either didn't get done yet and are trying to buy time because they are behind or the painted fucked up the color or ran the shit out of the clear and burned it while cutting the run out requiring a repaint.

Humidity doesn't do shit to paint except increase flash time which at worst results in some dyeback or solvent pop needing the clear to be buffed.

I paint cars for a living . I wouldn't worry about it if your insurance covers paint for life.

The only thing you would be able to spot wrong twith a brand new panel is bad color match or shitty clear finish which needs to be buffed. Good paint wont malfunction on a new panel.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:08:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Unless of course they actually painted in the rain No all seriousness, our shop here at the dealer does do some small jobs out doors do to the booth being full if car, and maybe they did yours minutes before the rain and when the rain came it got fubared. Either way look it over good and make sure you look it over in doors and out, the shop fluorescent lights may show something that may not be seen outside.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:15:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Get someone to check/mic how thick the paint is on the  tailgate  vs  a stock body panel... OEM is 3-6 microns thick, a jackass monkey with no talent will have it 15-25 microns thick (which will still look pretty dang good in person) but thats one of the easiest ways to tell if a car has been repainted / one section fixed when you go to trade it in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top