Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2002 8:11:02 AM EDT
Since grimshaw touched on this subject yesterday, I have a few questions.

The A/C in my 1994 GMC Suburban has gone kaput. Doesn't get cold at all. The compressor itself also makes avery audible clicking noise when in operation, so I unplugged the electric clutch so it would turn on when using the defroster. When I checked the pressure (before I unplugged the compressor clutch), I get high readings from both the high and low ports. According to the literature that accompanied the gauge, this is indicative of bad reeds in the compressor itself. Does this sound correct? And if so, does anyone have a good source for remanufactured compressors?

Link Posted: 5/10/2002 8:20:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Boomer, have you looked at the sight guage yet? You should be able to see the freon moving if it has any.

Almost any reputable auto parts dealer should be able to get you another compressor at a decent price, but unless you have the right equipment, you'll still have the work done.

Putting the compressor on isn't such a big deal, but then you have to pull a vaccuum on the system prior to recharging it.  Also, if your compressor cratered, chances are, you'll need a new expansion valve also.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 7:13:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Boomer

When you said the hi an low side pressures were both high with the clutch engaged I'm assuming you meant with the engine running and the AC on. Were the pressures equal, or almost equal? If so then yes you have a bad compressor. If the readings were otherwise, what were the actual numbers.

Like DonR said, a compressor can be had at most any reputable parts house for a reasonable price. When a compressor fails it is best, but no always neccesary to replace the Reciever-Drier (known as the accumulator on your vehicle - the big silver or black can near the right side firewall with tubes going to it) because it is the [i]filter[/i] among other things for the AC system. Any contaminants are in there and if they keep circulating more damage could occur. You probably don't have an expansion valve, but a "fixed orifice tube". (been a whike since I worked in a 94 Suburban) They can get plugged with debris, but can be a bitch to get out without a special tool.

You biggest obstacle is the refridgerant. Should be R134 that year. Replacing the compressor itself is no big deal, dealing with the R134 is. If you want to try replacing the comp yourself then do this.

Go to a shop that does AC work. Get them  to quote you a price to recover - recycle - recharge your system. By [b]LAW[/b] refridgerant cannot be "dumped", whether it's the old R12 or the newer R134. It must be recovered and recycled in a machine. These machines suck out the old refridgerant, run it through a filtering system that removes air, moisture and contaminats and then stores it for reuse. When we work on a AC system that still has refridgerant in the system we suck it out, do the repairs, pull the system into a vacuum to remove air/moisture, and then recharge the system. The machines have a scale built in that tells how much came out, so when we recharge to a full charge we only charge the customer for any refridgerant over what came out.

So assuming you have some left in your system. After you get your price quote have them note on the repair order how much they took out. Also have them note how much oil, if any, came out also as you might need to add that much back in depending on whether the compressor you buy comes with a full oil charge. Take you vehicle home, install your new compressor, take your vehicle back and have the system recharged with what they took out, plus any additional needed. You may have to shop around to find a shop willing to do that, but we do it at our shop when asked.

If I can help more feel free to email me.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 9:56:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Pathfinder, thanks for the advice. That's pretty much what I was looking for.

Yes, both the high and low side read high with the engine running, A/C on, and compressor clutch engaged. I guess the compressor is indeed toast. Time to start looking for a shop that can vacuum out the R134a.

One more question. My Suburban has the dual A/C. Is there just one accumulator, the one near the firewall in the engine compartment? Anything else I should be on the lookout for?
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 9:59:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Boomer, you still got my #??
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 10:09:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Boomer, you still got my #??
View Quote

Assuming it hasn't changed in the last year and a half, yeah I've still got it. [}:D]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 10:12:08 PM EDT
[#6]
It hasn't
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 10:43:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Crap, here it is almost midnight PDT and the spousal unit is still on the phone with her mother. I'll try to give you a ring over the weekend.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 10:45:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Whatever is convient for you.  I'll put my cell in your IM.
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 3:58:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
One more question. My Suburban has the dual A/C. Is there just one accumulator, the one near the firewall in the engine compartment? Anything else I should be on the lookout for?
View Quote

Yes, just one accumulator.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top