Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2001 5:14:05 PM EDT
Can someone please give me the scoop on owning an automatic knife.  Is it correct that I can own one legally but not carry it?  At least that is the way I understand it.  I have been shopping around and all the places have a form to fill out for purchasing one.  I have seen them at gun shows and none of the dealers make you fill out any forms.  Whats the real deal on these.

Thanks
CH
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 5:32:43 PM EDT
[#1]
State to State is different for example I know in Massachusetts you can't legally even own them unless your police or Military. Here in AZ you can legally own them but not carry them. Most states have a "collector's" clause I believe that allows you to buy and keep them but not on your person. Personally I think that you should be able to carry one if you have a concealed Weapons permit since the permit allows the carry of weapons other than handguns.
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 5:47:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Even in states where it is prohibited some have exceptions for hunting and for individuals who only have the use of one hand.
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 6:22:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:...Here in AZ you can legally own them but not carry them. Most states have a "collector's" clause I believe that allows you to buy and keep them but not on your person....
View Quote

California is similar.  The law does not prohibit manufacturing or owning or keeping or importing them (other than for sale).  Sales and other transfers, and carrying them on your person or in the passenger compartment of a car are specifically prohibited.  But that's the extent of the restrictions.

Federal law prohibits importing switchblades into the country.  A lot of people get busted for that at the US/Mexican border because they are unaware of the restrictions.  Cheap ones (Rizutto, Pakistani ones, etc.) are very popular with naive tourists in Mexican border towns.  You're a lot better off getting caught by the border patrol with an extra bottle of liquor.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 6:36:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
California is similar.  The law does not prohibit manufacturing or owning or keeping or importing them (other than for sale).  Sales and other transfers, and carrying them on your person or in the passenger compartment of a car are specifically prohibited.  But that's the extent of the restrictions.
View Quote

So can I legally purchase and have a switchblade  (blade > 2") mailed to my house?  It would only be for collecting and not for use.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 7:25:12 AM EDT
[#5]
While state laws may vary. Federal law prohibits shipment across state lines except to military or police or bonified knife dealers.

So no one can ship it to you across state lines.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 6:12:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 6:52:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
...So no one can ship it to you across state lines.
View Quote

Yes, good old Public Law 90-351 rears its ugly head.

No shipments to ordinary individuals, but if you are the Official Knife Procurer of the Office of the Dog Catcher of East Jibip, Wyoming or any other POLITICAL entity you're allowed to buy automatic knives and have them shipped to you anywhere.

From browsing some knife sellers' Web sites it appears that they CAN ship them across state lines if you sign a statement certifying that you are a "bona fide dealer" or a manufacturer.  Check this one out:

[url]http://www.bladeart.com/production/disclaimer.htm[/url]

Stuff like this makes me want to order one just because the government doesn't want me to.

What government entity is going to order one of THESE???

[url]http://www.tripleaughtdesign.com/dam_halo3.htm[/url]

I'd settle for anything on this page:

[url]http://www.bladeart.com/production/pro_tech/pro_tech.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 7:04:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Cal-Kid thanks for the links.

So...can I purchase a switch-blade longer than 2" from another state and then physically bring it into Kalif?  Kalif has a 2" blade requirement  which is NOT very fun, and I would prefer a thumb-open lockblade for carry.

Here's a legal length blade, sweeeet!
[img]http://www.bladeart.com/production/pro_tech/Proteck-OTF.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 7:13:31 AM EDT
[#9]
You're welcome, Chaingun.  As I understand it, the federal law does not apply to a person transporting his or her personal property.  And there is nothing in California law that says you can't import an automatic knife (state law uses the term "switchblade knife") into CA.

A friend of mine in the Bay Area openly bought a nice Benchmade (IIRC) automatic at a knife show in California a few years ago.  The seller didn't ask him any questions.  Money talks.  Evidently the dealer didn't consider the risk of getting busted for making an illegal sale to be very great.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 9:10:00 AM EDT
[#10]
I have seen nothing about the federal law concerning shipping on any of the forms that these sights show erstricting shipment to individuals.  At least not the way I read it.  They have a provision or caluse of being a collector and stating that you are aware of and understand your state and local laws. They state nothing about not shipping across state line to individuals.  As I understand it, if it is legal where I live and I sign the papers stating that I want it for a collection and understand the state and local laws, they can and will send it to me.  Is this completeley incorrect??
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 7:45:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Auto knives can occasionally still be found at CA gun shows.
You used to be able to get some really cool auto conversions... Then the police decided to enforce the law. If you find an auto at a CA gun show with a blade loinger than two inches... it could get you busted. If you bought a 12" long wrist breaking custom built switchblade in Reno you can legally bring it home (in the trunk) and poses but not carry it.

Ill see if I still have the law saved in my documents.. I'll post you a copy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top