Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2014 4:28:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/19/2014 4:29:51 PM EDT by DvlDog]
I have nerve damage in my hands and I cannot reload the way I used to. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Ponsness Warren auto-drive systems for dillion presses. I understand they void the dillon warranty. Thats unfortunate but Im willing to risk it.

anyone run one?
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:00:44 PM EDT
Not heard of PW making auto drives, but good luck. Dillon, iirc, was voiding warranties for people that installed aftermarket decrimpers on their machines.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:02:42 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By skink:
Not heard of PW making auto drives, but good luck. Dillon, iirc, was voiding warranties for people that installed aftermarket decrimpers on their machines.
View Quote

tag
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:18:31 PM EDT

I have one. But if I could do it again, I'd get the rotary drive from this guy.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:01:53 PM EDT
STEEP learning curve for a newbie reloading. Good luck though.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 7:51:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/19/2014 7:53:07 PM EDT by DvlDog]
I've been reloading for 20yrs, closer to 30 if you count shotshell (we were a trap family as a kid). Are the PW systems fairly reliable? Why would the rotary drive be better?

it looks to be about $1000 on top of the dillon gear. I was thinking of a 650XL for the set up.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 8:11:49 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DvlDog:
I've been reloading for 20yrs, closer to 30 if you count shotshell (we were a trap family as a kid). Are the PW systems fairly reliable? Why would the rotary drive be better?

it looks to be about $1000 on top of the dillon gear. I was thinking of a 650XL for the set up.
View Quote

If youre doing pistol rounds, the PW will be fine. However in my experience with the PW and rifle, it puts a great deal of torque on the press, and unless it's calibrated 100% correctly (which isn't easy to do) it tends to produce greater tolerance differences from one round to the next.

The rotary version will not "push" the press away like the arm on the PW does,
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 8:36:23 PM EDT
You can use the power drive on the 1050. I would not waste the money on a 650 or putting a power drive on one, the 650 is not as smooth to operate as a 1050. The 650 priming system is nowhere near as good as the 1050 either. I always ended up with some high primers on both the 550 and the 650. You will also need to add a bullet feeder if you don't want to be placing a bullet every time and then you will need bullets that are all in spec for the feeder. You will still need to fill primers, keep a eye on powder as well as the bullet and case feeder. It will not be something you can walk away from while it is on unless you are only processing brass. It will also take a finger or a hand off or at least mangle it if you don't pay attention when manually seating a bullet. If you are looking to eliminate pulling the handle it will work for you.

I mostly use motorized 1050's for processing brass or trimming brass.
Top Top