Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/14/2015 7:22:11 PM EST
I'll try to keep it short, read it if you want....

Stopped at stop sign of a "T" intersection.
Start to turn right onto street and notice that it is completely blocked off for construction up ahead. (travelled same route earlier in day and one lane was open)
Stop car to decide what to do.
Car behind is not paying attention and rearend collision happens
No one is injured, only minor damage to both vehicles
Information is exchanged
Both parties have same insurance company
Other driver flat out lies, says she was backed into when filing her claim
Insurance company will not put my claim through against the other driver
Damage to my vehicle is only $40 more than my deductible, but I feel other driver should be responsible.

I know cool story, just had to vent...
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 7:43:29 PM EST
Small claims court, or judge judy.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 7:44:48 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DVCER:
Small claims court, or judge judy.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 7:48:37 PM EST
State farm?
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 7:59:43 PM EST
Did you file a police report? If not you should. You should have called the police to come to the scene at the time of the accident.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 8:50:21 PM EST
Originally Posted By 1911woody:

Start to turn right onto street and notice that it is completely blocked off for construction up ahead. (travelled same route earlier in day and one lane was open)
Information is exchanged
Damage to my vehicle is only $40 more than my deductible, but I feel other driver should be responsible.

View Quote

File on your uninsured motorist coverage. You are stating that your insurance company refuses to take your claim.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 8:54:30 PM EST
Originally Posted By Averagebear:

File on your uninsured motorist coverage. You are stating that your insurance company refuses to take your claim.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Information is exchanged

That's not the way it works......
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 9:38:03 PM EST
Yeah, like a good neighbor. Thinking I am going to write a letter informing her that small claims court is next. The way the ins. Co wants to handle it is to put it through on our own policies for our own vehicles as if we are equally at fault. She had no objections to this......it's he said she said though in the eyes of the ins. Co.
Maybe she will think twice if she has to tell the same lie again in small claims court.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 9:41:00 PM EST
Not that it helps but always call the cops. My daughter bumped into somebody at a red light who started to go and quickly stopped. Not even a scratch on the bumper. Two of them standing there talking and laughing about it while cop fills out report. They go their seperate ways. Woman claims injuries later and sues insurance company who quickly pays her off. I know nothing of this until I get my new insurance bill, much higher for a billable accident.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 9:42:21 PM EST
I just got in an accident. The other guy was in the middle lane and turned right into a parking lot. I didn't have time to stop since it was snowing and slick. I tboned him and he went over a fire hydrant. Police came, but he says he can't tell what happened. The other guy claims that I was speeding and slammed into his right side causing him to slide to the right and crash.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 9:44:15 PM EST

View All Quotes

Information is exchanged

That's not how un-insured motorists coverage works. The other party has to not have insurance. In this case the other party has insurance the company just will not accept liability. The company is likely trying to angle that both parties are at least partially at fault so they can charge both a deductible. Or OP just got the shitty adjuster. In most states the same adjuster can't work both claims they should be treated like separate claims and the adjusters duke it out like they were at different companies. -J
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 9:46:46 PM EST
Can't they pull diagnostic information from the car's onboard computer to show you weren't in reverse?
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 9:53:34 PM EST
Some states require the deductible be waived inner company. Ask the claims folks.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 9:56:43 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:06:12 PM EST
It doesn't matter who your neighbor is....it would have been the same result....
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:33:25 PM EST
Originally Posted By 1911woody:Other driver flat out lies, says she was backed into when filing her claim
View Quote

$100 dash cam would have removed you from this situation.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:36:41 PM EST
you didn't cal the police?
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:41:50 PM EST
State Farm will say you are both at fault and raise both your rates.
It's how it works. It's how all of it works.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:44:28 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/14/2015 10:47:15 PM EST by YourAlterEgo]
Originally Posted By AeroE:
There's just about zero odds the insurer will buy a story of backing up.
View Quote

almost true except I had an experience were my rear bumper and the car behind me's/s/? bumper touched another's front. I was looking down at some recently purchased items, really don't know if I let off the brake a bit or they let off the gas. Told the insurance company the same. Same insurer for both of us, neither were declared as at fault. Still a ding on both records unless you have the extra "accident forgiveness" plan.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:49:33 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/14/2015 10:51:49 PM EST by TrymySS]
What type of vehicle do you have? What type of vehicle does she have? One or both may have EDM data but its costly to pull.

I'm an insurance guy and see crap like this all the time. Here is what I would do if I was in your shoes.

I would file a DOI complaint, BBB complaint and complaint with the attorney general. You do not want to use the collision coverage as they will mark it as an at fault claim. I would make sure in every complaint that your feel your company is not handling your claim in 'good faith'. You can also copy the adjuster, their manager and the claims director on an email you send to every local news station that has an "on side" department. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, hammer up the food change and they will fold and extend coverage to you.

If you get tired of any of this, file in small claims court against the other part for the max amount, for property damage, diminished value, pain and suffering and mental anguish. Before it goes to court the insurer will fold as they have a duty to defend and it will cost them more to defend than to clear coverage.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 11:02:00 PM EST
It's word vs word and nothing can change that. Your kind of stuck.

On board computers run on a short loop, most less than 10 seconds. 10 seconds after they drove off the data if any was overwritten.

I have worked fatality claims where no one wanted to pull the data, it sure would not happen in this case even if available

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 11:15:03 PM EST
Originally Posted By desmando:
Can't they pull diagnostic information from the car's onboard computer to show you weren't in reverse?
View Quote

NO that is NOT how this works! That is not a black box from an airplane!
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 11:36:17 PM EST
Originally Posted By tiasman:

On board computers run on a short loop, most less than 10 seconds. 10 seconds after they drove off the data if any was overwritten.

I have worked fatality claims where no one wanted to pull the data, it sure would not happen in this case even if available

View Quote

Sorry this info is wrong. Impacts are stored as events. Not looped over. Some cars store a lot of data, some store the bare minimum, and some store none. My company pulls edm data on every fatality claim where there is a coverage,facts of loss question or high value.

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 11:42:13 PM EST
Go shit in her upper deck.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 11:51:19 PM EST
Originally Posted By TrymySS:

Sorry this info is wrong. Impacts are stored as events. Not looped over. Some cars store a lot of data, some store the bare minimum, and some store none. My company pulls edm data on every fatality claim where there is a coverage,facts of loss question or high value.

View All Quotes

statefarm?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:00:58 AM EST
Why did you backup without looking behind you?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:17:56 PM EST

View All Quotes

Sounds like we need to catch up

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:20:50 PM EST
Originally Posted By Bigtwin:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bigtwin:
Originally Posted By desmando:

Not yet
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:21:24 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/15/2015 3:22:25 PM EST by refarmed1900mhz]
at this price i dont understand why more folks dont have one

are their better out there ? yes but your not making a production movie

http://www.dx.com/p/h-264-720p-wide-angle-6-led-night-viewing-digital-car-dvr-camcorder-w-mini-usb-sd-hdmi-2-5-lcd-54137#.VLghNdLF9jZ
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:26:41 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/15/2015 3:27:00 PM EST by KN]

Information is exchanged

View Quote

Read the fine print in your policy. We recently were at fault in an accident and our policy had a line in it that said there is no deductible if both parties have the same insurance.

Insurance paid for repairs to our car. Our $1000 deductible was waived. They did not volunteer this. I had to show them the policy.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:29:41 PM EST
should have called the police for a report, so not bs on insurance company.

bs on drivers not doing what they are supposed to do in the event of an accident
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:47:35 PM EST
This thread is prompting me to start researching dash cams again. Would be nice to have one pointing out the back window too.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:52:23 PM EST
police have better things to do and aren't wizards

how could they know who to believe?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:52:40 PM EST
Originally Posted By JimEb:
This thread is prompting me to start researching dash cams again. Would be nice to have one pointing out the back window too.
View Quote

they have dual cam versions
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:56:12 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/15/2015 3:57:04 PM EST by TacticalHeater]
Yeah, like a good neighbor. Thinking I am going to write a letter informing her that small claims court is next. The way the ins. Co wants to handle it is to put it through on our own policies for our own vehicles as if we are equally at fault. She had no objections to this......it's he said she said though in the eyes of the ins. Co.
Maybe she will think twice if she has to tell the same lie again in small claims court.
View Quote

Not if you have no police report ;)

You backed up to avoid the construction ;)

See how it works?

She can tell the same lie again, counter sue you, and you may even be fined for failure to contact police of the accident. Most states have minimum damage statues (MI for example is $500, you have to call the police when damage exceeds estimated $500 worth).

So don't think it can go forwards for you, it can really backfire.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 5:31:28 PM EST
Originally Posted By FourLoko:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FourLoko:
Originally Posted By JimEb:

This, but even the single-lens version would back you up in a situation like in the OP.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 5:33:53 PM EST
Originally Posted By TacticalHeater:

See how it works?

She can tell the same lie again, counter sue you, and you may even be fined for failure to contact police of the accident. Most states have minimum damage statues (MI for example is $500, you have to call the police when damage exceeds estimated $500 worth).

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TacticalHeater:

See how it works?

There are jurisdictions that don't send anyone unless there's bodily injury.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 5:48:46 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/15/2015 5:49:40 PM EST by BlueMR2]
Originally Posted By clinteastwood:
Not that it helps but always call the cops.
View Quote

I go the opposite. If not legally obligated (varies on state, damage, conditions, etc) don't call the cops. You're just inviting a big fat driving tax (errr, ticket) on top of the insurance woes. Don't invite the man into your life, it rarely ends well.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 5:54:20 PM EST
Originally Posted By Andielouroo:
Did you file a police report? If not you should. You should have called the police to come to the scene at the time of the accident.
View Quote

This, always, 100% of the time.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:40:10 PM EST
Originally Posted By midcap:
View Quote

Most places the police have better things to do than show up at a he said, she said, minor property damage, no injury collision.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:43:12 PM EST
What type of vehicle do you have? What type of vehicle does she have? One or both may have EDM data but its costly to pull.

I'm an insurance guy and see crap like this all the time. Here is what I would do if I was in your shoes.

I would file a DOI complaint, BBB complaint and complaint with the attorney general. You do not want to use the collision coverage as they will mark it as an at fault claim. I would make sure in every complaint that your feel your company is not handling your claim in 'good faith'. You can also copy the adjuster, their manager and the claims director on an email you send to every local news station that has an "on side" department. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, hammer up the food change and they will fold and extend coverage to you.

If you get tired of any of this, file in small claims court against the other part for the max amount, for property damage, diminished value, pain and suffering and mental anguish. Before it goes to court the insurer will fold as they have a duty to defend and it will cost them more to defend than to clear coverage.
View Quote

Yep the Department of Insurance, usually staffed by young commies that want to screw the capitalist pigs that run insurance companies. Nothing says you can't file in Small Claims for the amount not paid by insurance.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:48:35 PM EST
Originally Posted By xanadu:
Why did you backup without looking behind you?
View Quote

I worked claims briefly for Mercury, I figured I could put up with a lot of crap, since I could walk to work, all of 3 blocks. I learned several things, the Claims Department Managers were pretty sad at supervising their direct reports, they could throw a lot of crap to the new guy, including cases that were supposed to be taken by experienced specialists, I could have handled them, if I was given the time like the "experts", the crap that they dished out that could have been minimized by a modernly run company was too much. The most important thing was, that in any parking lot accident, neither car was moving when they hit.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:54:27 PM EST

View All Quotes

Information is exchanged

OP said that they have the same insurance company, i'll assume that means the other driver has an active policy which means that she is insured, so uninsured coverage wouldnt come into play here.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:56:59 PM EST
last minor fender bender i was in the police wouldn't even show up when i called. told me to swing by the station for an officer to take a look and fill out a report. was told since there were no injuries an officer wouldn't be dispatched.
i had to do it since it was my corvette at the time and replacing fiberglass is a bit more costly than dent repair.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:58:17 PM EST

Information is exchanged

View Quote

as an insurance adjuster in NC i will shed some light on this for you. you didnt file a police report, so this is a word vs word situation which basically means that each policy will pay for their vehicle. there's no way to prove one story over the other. other driver is being a dickbag and not telling the truth, people are shitty. just be glad it's minor damage. i've had the same thing happen to my insured before but their vehicle was totalled. if the damage is $40 more than you deductible, i'd no claim that shit and move on with my life.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:00:30 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/15/2015 11:05:20 PM EST by Bud]

View Quote

Please tell me more about proving your pain, suffering and mental anguish on a property damage only claim.

Also, please enumerate the evidence of this alleged "bad faith" . Be specific.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:02:16 PM EST

View Quote

I had to file on under under insured cuz some dude ran a red light and hit my wife and his insurance was canceled 2wks prior. Will this count against me? I also thought about small claims but if he got no insurance he probably doesn't have any money either.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:03:11 PM EST
Originally Posted By Aare:

as an insurance adjuster in NC i will shed some light on this for you. you didnt file a police report, so this is a word vs word situation which basically means that each policy will pay for their vehicle. there's no way to prove one story over the other. other driver is being a dickbag and not telling the truth, people are shitty. just be glad it's minor damage. i've had the same thing happen to my insured before but their vehicle was totalled. if the damage is $40 more than you deductible, i'd no claim that shit and move on with my life.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Aare:

Information is exchanged

Best advice in the thread.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:07:28 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/15/2015 11:09:02 PM EST by rogueboss]
Originally Posted By swingset:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By swingset:
Originally Posted By Andielouroo:

For a minor crash with no injuries? Um. no. Even if you do the cop will come and just document your story and hers. Unless there is a witness or camera he can't tell who was at fault.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:16:03 AM EST
Originally Posted By PaDanby:

Most places the police have better things to do than show up at a he said, she said, minor property damage, no injury collision.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By midcap:

I found out that unless a car is disabled or someone is hurt, they won't write a report.
If an officer arrives, he'll give you his card, but that's it.
Fortunately for me, the person who hit me was an honest person.
I am going to get one of those cameras real soon.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:21:55 AM EST
The most important thing was, that in any parking lot accident, neither car was moving when they hit.
View Quote

As an insurance adjuster, I know that all to well.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top