Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 6/24/2002 11:07:14 AM EDT
A few weeks ago a guy lets his vehicle roll back and hit my mother in laws vehicle. he takes off not realizing he hit something.fortunately the police happen to witness what happenned.They get the info and give it to my MIL.here is where it gets funny. The driver was working for an construction company. the insurance info is for the constuction company. I call the contruction company and voicemail,has'nt called back. i call the insurance listed. this is a basic buissness insurance policy with no auto insurance. So I finnaly get in touch with the drivers mother and she told me to make a claim on her insurance.well today i find out that the vehicle that hit my MIL's is not listed on the policy and they may refuse to pay for damages. bTW the police officer at the scene did not fill out a report of the incident. Since my MIL only has liabilty we have to go at this alone. I have the license # of the vehicle,is there any legal way I can find out who it is registered to?? I am at my wits end What else can I do???? Thanks for any advice
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:27:58 AM EDT
They don't let you do that anymore. There were several murders attributed to people getting addresses via licence plates. You are really pretty much screwed unless someone was hurt. I have been hit a couple of times by people merging into my lane. They keep driving, and the cops just say file a report. Nothing has ever happened with these reports. Good luck on it though. You could see if your insurance will help you pursue it though. Even though they don't owe you anything, a good rep might still help.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:35:05 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:42:11 AM EDT
Washington state /king county thanks
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:52:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/24/2002 11:55:18 AM EDT by wrecktech]
The cop saw the original incident and gave the info to you. Go find the cop, ask him to make a delayed report and include an explanation of the delay and insurance problems. Send the other driver a bill for the damages. If the other driver does not pay, go to small claims court and sue for damages and costs. It's his resonsiblity to get his insurance to pay for the damage or pay it himself. You don't have to chase him down. Your local court clerk can tell you what the limits are for small claims. All you need are receipts and photos. Almost all the cases on "Peoples Court" and the like come out of small claims courts.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:59:29 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:54:17 PM EDT
Lawyer-up, even if its just to get the ball rolling.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 7:50:12 PM EDT
Originally Posted By gravitynoodle: Lawyer-up, even if its just to get the ball rolling.
View Quote
Ditto. The lawyer should be able to obtain the registered owner information. He may not be able to give it to you. Other plan - does mother-in-law have collision coverage on her vehicle? She can get it fixed and turn it over to her company and let THEM sort it out.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 8:29:29 PM EDT
The kid is obliged to pay. He won't. You will. Lawyer up. Waste of time and throwing good money after bad but still the right thing to do. Sucks, huh? Ive had three totaled over the years. Never collected a damn dime!! Thes scum know all the weasel routes. Starts with not having anything in their name, no insurance, sometimes no license. In Ohio that gets your tags imounded - for 30 days! Only people with insurance are those not on welfare and who own something of value IN THEIR NAME!! "Some people are alive only because it is against the law to kill them".
Top Top