Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2006 4:24:10 PM EDT
I have 3 vehicles insured with AIG.
I have NEVER filed a claim. My driving record is spotless... And I'm 50.

I have a $ 250 comp deductable.

Some asshat made a 48" long 1/4" scratch down to the metal on the right rear quarter panel of my truck. Not only is the paint gone, but the is an 1/8" indentation for about 24".

I could try to match the paint and do a "touch-up." It might look just OK, but just OK.

So, here's the question.. What will happen to my rates if I file a claim?

I'm guessing this will be a $6-800 job. I'd be out 250 and the insurance company would be out $500 or so.

But is it worth it? Right now my premiums are super low.. If they raised these by only $30 or so dollars a month due to this claim, it would probably be cheaper in the long run to have it repaired myself.

What are the chances that they will raise the rates??

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:27:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:18:43 PM EDT
[#2]
It was not your fault so why should they raise your rates? You will be out your deductible but thats why you have insurance, right?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:29:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have 3 vehicles insured with AIG.
I have NEVER filed a claim. My driving record is spotless... And I'm 50.

I have a $ 250 comp deductable.

Some asshat made a 48" long 1/4" scratch down to the metal on the right rear quarter panel of my truck. Not only is the paint gone, but the is an 1/8" indentation for about 24".

I could try to match the paint and do a "touch-up." It might look just OK, but just OK.

So, here's the question.. What will happen to my rates if I file a claim?

I'm guessing this will be a $6-800 job. I'd be out 250 and the insurance company would be out $500 or so.

But is it worth it? Right now my premiums are super low.. If they raised these by only $30 or so dollars a month due to this claim, it would probably be cheaper in the long run to have it repaired myself.

What are the chances that they will raise the rates??

Thanks!

Its NOT your fault, your rates will not go up. It should be a simple comprehensive claim. I would report it. First thing though, get a police report, that way if the parties are found, your insurance company can subrogate them. There may be other cars in the area which suffered the same fat. So, police report is a must.

Insurance company MAY ask for an affidavid of vandalism; but I doubt it. They are usually done for theft and fire; known as AOF [affidavid of fire] and AOT [affidavis of theft]. But talk to your insurer, AIG is a good company.

Your insurer can answer all these questions with certainty.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:33:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It was not your fault so why should they raise your rates? You will be out your deductible but thats why you have insurance, right?

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight
about 14 yrs ago, I was insured with allstate. Kid comes flying around corner, loses it and slams into my 6 month old Yota. He had NO ins. they paid out and went after him. 2 weeks later YES 2 weeks later, I had not even gotten the truck INTO the body shop and we got flooded, water in engine = No workie.
so 7800 bux on new motor, 3800 bux for new body on 1992 Toyota p/u. The thing was totaled out.
I got a little over 11,000 bux for a 10,000 dollar P/u.
They dropped me a week later. I lost may ass ont that truck!
I will NEVER own a new ride again, except .... nope no new 18's either
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:41:57 PM EDT
[#5]
File the claim.  Once they pay up switch carriers.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:02:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
File the claim.  Once they pay up switch carriers.

You realize that by doing that your credit gets dinged just as it would as if you were passing debt from credit card to credit card, yes?

HERE I COME TO SAVE THE DAAAAAY!       <--- FARMERS Agent

Listen up folks: the deductable options of today were devised when cars were bought for $5000.  If you have a $10k car or more, you may as well have a MINIMUM of $500 deductable for comp and ditto for collision.  Otherwise, you're just throwing your own $$$ down the toilet.  As soon as you get over $20k in value, very seriously start to think about the $750 or $1000 deducatbles.  For those of you who own a car of less than $5k in value... seriously think about NOT having comp or collision.  You're just throwing $$$ away.  BUT... with the money you save I HIGHLY suggest you put it away.

Also, no home should have less than a $1,000 ded.      

Bump up the deductables, save some cash, and take care of the small stuff yourself.  This keyscratch mentioned in the original post is just that: small stuff.  

Most companies will give some major discounts if you're claim free/ticket free.  Just one claim, regardless of amount (yes, even a $0 payout) could up your premium by %25.

Remember: the reason premiums go up is because if the idiots who turn in a $550 claim on a $500 deductable.  An insurance company would MUCH rather have a single $5000 claim, than ten $500 claims.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:15:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Well I was in a non at fault accident.  I already had my 6 month paid off (Geico).

Anyways, when it came time for renewal, they wanted to raise my rates (absurd since I wasn't at fault).  I asked well, what if I don't renew, do I owe you guys another dime?  They said nope, and I said fuck off.

I now use a different company that gives me a great rate (USAA).
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:09:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Insurance has many rating factors. Claim frequency is but one. Even not at fault claims.

Your rating factor may go up, but you may never see any premium change due to your increasing age, longevity, payment history, car type, etc.

You pay for protection. But there are no free lunches. If you have been claim free, I promise you that you have been subsidizing some other insured.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:11:38 AM EDT
[#9]
...oh yeah...DO NOT switch if you are happy. Insurance companies share info. Why go new with a claim when you can stay put with a claim. You will not get a better rate with a recent claim on your record.

Trust me...insurance and santa always know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top