Economy Car
Mazda Mazda3

SUV/Off-Road Vehicle
Volkswagen Touareg

People Mover
Honda Odyssey

Truck
Ford F-150

That SUV from VW is a piece of shit...I know a VW dealer, personally, and she has told me that with the Touareg, VW has resorted to replacing the vehicle outright, when a buyer has had muiltiable problems...

They have had 20 out of 28 they have sold been replaced with new vehicles....of the rest 5 have asked for their money back....

As a owner of a VW I can this...

IF you consider buying one...don't...run away...they are unreliable, costly to fix, and VW's "Customer Care" people are assholes...
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:58:01 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
From a reader poll
autos.msn.com/advice/article.aspx?contentid=4021168&src=msn

Sports Car
Chevrolet Corvette

Sedan
Chrysler 300C

Luxury Car
Audi A8

First Car
Honda Civic

Coupe
Infiniti G35

Economy Car
Mazda Mazda3

SUV/Off-Road Vehicle
Volkswagen Touareg

People Mover
Honda Odyssey

Truck
Ford F-150

That SUV from VW is a piece of shit...I know a VW dealer, personally, and she has told me that with the Touareg, VW has resorted to replacing the vehicle outright, when a buyer has had muiltiable problems...

They have had 20 out of 28 they have sold been replaced with new vehicles....of the rest 5 have asked for their money back....

IF you consider buying one...don't...run away...they are unreliable, costly to fix, and VW's "Customer Care" people are assholes...

2nd on the VW/Porsche 'tude - would never buy either.

as for the rest of the list, well, who reads AutoWeek anyway? (C&D was better by a considerable amount, back in the days when I got car mags)

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:18:10 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

+1
Got a "New Jetta" to replace decrepit but reliable Acura Integra, and it had more problems in 1 year than I ever had with the Integra. I got rid of it after 18 months. Some of the bigger gripes on this 20,000 mile car:

Driver's side window failed (known VW Jetta flaw- "goodwill replacement"), check engine light always on even after dealer repaired it, springs fell off of seats, interior trim pieces fell off onto my head, radio couldn't pick up stations next to transmitter tower, ignitor/distributor/hamster wheel broke, always smelled like burning plastic, door sealant foam melted in hot weather, automatic door locks were possessed, arm rest latch broke, weak synchro into 2nd, bad fuel mixture from 2500-4000rpm. Cheap clearcoat paint job.  And BTW, up until last year or two the warranty on VW was not transferrable at all. Now they're gracious enough to let you transfer it only if you sell it to a family member! Customer care didn't... at all... and were really arrogant.

I found a merciful Acura dealer who gave me full buyoff in trade-in on a certified '00 TL.  Outstanding car, and I don't have to worry if it's going to disintegrate in the next 2 weeks.  Nothing but oil changes in 9 months, so it's already ahead.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:27:04 AM EDT
[#4]

Guys, it's based off of an internet poll.  So you don't even have to actually OWN the car you vote for.

Personally I'd like to see a poll based on owner satisfaction.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 10:11:39 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Guys, it's based off of an internet poll.  So you don't even have to actually OWN the car you vote for.

So would I...these magazine or 'net based polls are crap....I wish that they would do a owner based poll...I would be you that these cars, suvs and trucks they pick would not be in the top 10...
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 10:13:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

The Consumer Reports reliability rating are a reasonable proxy for that - in that those are reports by owners of how often they had to take the car in for service.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 10:33:27 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So would I...these magazine or 'net based polls are crap....I wish that they would do a owner based poll...I would be you that these cars, suvs and trucks they pick would not be in the top 10...

I think the F150 still would, and so would the Civic.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 12:58:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
From a reader poll
autos.msn.com/advice/article.aspx?contentid=4021168&src=msn

Truck
Ford F-150

I dont know about you guys but just sitting in a new f-150 was painful. I swear those seats are made of plywood and barb wire.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:06:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Consumer Reports reliability rating are a reasonable proxy for that - in that those are reports by owners of how often they had to take the car in for service.

I trust CR as much as I trust CNN or Bill Clinton. Remember that Ralph Nader sits on the CR board (read the first chapter of "Unsafe at any speed" by Nader and tell me that asswipe doesn't have a hard-on for GM. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if CR got kickbacks "consideration" (at least in the old days) for giving highest ratings to products IMPORTED by their friends. (no tinfoil, a CR highest or "Best Buy" rating can easily be worth millions, or even billions in the case of automobiles)
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 2:03:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I trust CR as much as I trust CNN or Bill Clinton. Remember that Ralph Nader sits on the CR board (read the first chapter of "Unsafe at any speed" by Nader and tell me that asswipe doesn't have a hard-on for GM. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if CR got kickbacks "consideration" (at least in the old days) for giving highest ratings to products IMPORTED by their friends. (no tinfoil, a CR highest or "Best Buy" rating can easily be worth millions, or even billions in the case of automobiles)

Heh...

'course, if you buy your car by what's printed in a magazine, you deserve whatever you end up with...

There is usually a direct correllation between trade publications, reviews, and advertising space purchased... Goes for gun rags, PC rags, and I'd assume car rags too...

CR may be different, but then again Ralph Nader's idea of a 'good car' doesn't mix well with mine...
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 2:06:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I agree with the Odessy and Civic. although the civis should have been the pick in at least three two of those catagories; First car, & Economy car.

I cant believe anything made by Nissan  (infinity) is on that list.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 2:12:16 PM EDT
[#12]
CR's big claim is "no advertising so we are unbiased" yet in areas where I am very knowledgeable, I have seen them make boneheaded calls for "Best Buy" over and over...

cars are most blatant where I recall seeing a GM that got better mileage than a Ford yet the Ford was called thrifty and the GM was called a "gas hog"

Like I said, all one needs do is read Nader's book and you'll understand the vitriol from the sham "people's advocate" (who got pretty damn rich off those common folk, I might add)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top