Page / 2
Posted: 4/19/2006 5:19:08 AM EDT
Damn, that is a lot of gunz!

-----------------------------------------------
www.cbs2.com
Apr 18, 2006 10:37 pm US/Pacific

Authorities Sieze More Than 800 Weapons From Home
Save It  E-mail It  Print It
(AP) SAN BERNARDINO Authorities raided a San Bernardino County home on Tuesday and seized more than 800 weapons.

Found at the home of Robert Ferro were some 200 assault weapons, 100 machine guns, 200 silencers, several hundred handguns and a live hand grenade, said Davy Aguilera, a special agent with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms.

"We made a significant impact by preventing these weapons from going to the streets and getting into the hands of criminals," he said.

Aguilera had no further details on the search, or why investigators targeted Ferro.

A call to a spokesman with the Los Angeles Interagency Metropolitan Police Apprehension Crime Task Force, which conducted the search, was not immediately returned Tuesday.

Authorities plan to trace the origins of each weapon, Aguilera said.

"Each weapon has a story to tell, and we're going to find out where they came from," he said.

Link Posted: 4/19/2006 5:21:52 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

www.cbs2.com

(AP) SAN BERNARDINO Authorities raided a San Bernardino County home on Tuesday and seized more than 800 weapons.

Found at the home of Robert Ferro were some 200 assault weapons, 100 machine guns, 200 silencers, several hundred handguns and a live hand grenade, said Davy Aguilera, a special agent with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms.

"We made a significant impact by preventing these weapons from going to the streets and getting into the hands of criminals," he said.

Aguilera had no further details on the search, or why investigators targeted Ferro.

A call to a spokesman with the Los Angeles Interagency Metropolitan Police Apprehension Crime Task Force, which conducted the search, was not immediately returned Tuesday.

"Each weapon has a story to tell, and we're going to find out where they came from," he said.

Boy, I sure do feel better now.....
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 5:22:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I guess it's time for us to do a roll call and see who's missing.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 5:22:25 AM EDT
[#3]
800 weapons?  Dayum!
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 5:23:17 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Was this guy like the rest of us?  or did he have some intent to sell these firearms.

Link Posted: 4/19/2006 5:23:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Do 200 silencers count as 200 weapons?
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 5:25:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I think they count as 200 NFA violations at about 5 year each that's a long time.

Link Posted: 4/19/2006 5:37:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

What does the BATF count as a silencer? The guy could have had 2 bags of potatoes. You can use potatoes for a silencer. This would be in line with their police of a shoestring and a semi-automatic weapon makes a machine gun.

200 assault weapons? Again based on BATF he could have had 200 10/22’s with folding stocks.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 5:40:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Authorities plan to trace the origins of each weapon, Aguilera said.  "Each weapon has a story to tell, and we're going to find out where they came from," he said.

Good luck with that.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 5:43:55 AM EDT
[#9]
What's his ARFCOM screen name???
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 5:46:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Upland Home Hid Cache of Guns
Nearly 900 weapons are discovered when police, seeking firearms used in shootings, raid home of a retired Army officer.
By Lance Pugmire, Times Staff Writer
April 19, 2006
Authorities announced Tuesday that they discovered nearly 900 firearms hidden in secret panels, under floors and behind walls in an upscale home in the foothills of Upland.

A team of federal, state and local police raided the house Friday as part of an investigation into a man accused of wounding his wife and a Glendora police officer during shooting incidents in February and last month.

Inside the home, authorities found assault weapons, submachine guns, automatic rifles, explosive devices and other weapons, said Shirley Lesslak, a Department of Justice special agent supervisor.

A wine cellar had been converted into a makeshift weapons storage area and shooting range, Lesslak said.

Authorities arrested the homeowner, Robert Ferro, 61, a retired Army Special Forces officer, accusing him of running a huge black-market gun business out of the home at the end of cul-de-sac.

The San Bernardino County district attorney filed eight felony counts against Ferro on Monday, including possession of a firearm by a felon, possession of a destructive device, possession of a silencer and possession of a deadly weapon.

In the early 1990s, Ferro made headlines after he was accused of running a paramilitary camp on a Pomona chicken ranch that was dedicated to the overthrow of Cuban leader Fidel Castro. At the ranch, authorities found 5 pounds of C-4, a putty-like explosive. He was convicted of possession of illegal explosives in 1992 and sentenced to two years in prison.

Detectives said they were stunned when they entered Ferro's house and came across the wide array of guns.

"We went there looking for two guns," said Det. Joe Rodriguez of the Glendora Police Department. "We didn't expect to find more than 800. It was quite out of anyone's grasp. We are still trying to comprehend it."

Rodriguez said he and his colleagues uncovered weapons wherever they looked — behind framed paintings, thermometers and mirrors, inside hollowed-out walls of closets and under the staircase.

Detectives gave two taps to a bookcase and it opened up to reveal more weapons, Rodriguez said.

They said they found some of the most powerful firearms — Uzis and AK-47s — in the master bathroom and bedroom, behind clothing and plywood.

"The majority of the guns had fully loaded magazines," Rodriguez said, adding that the makeshift shooting range in the basement appeared to have been used recently.

Authorities believe those who used the range attached silencers to their weapons to avoid tipping off neighbors.

Residents on Tapia Way described Ferro as a friendly neighbor who had several children and who had lived on the street at least 16 years. They said they had no idea that hundreds of guns were hidden throughout his house.

"He seemed to be a normal family man," said Douglas Null, a neighbor about four houses away. "Nothing ever goes on around here. It's very surprising."

Neighbor Bill Applebee, 69, said Ferro helped him fix a plumbing problem at his home and that Ferro's wife routinely drives their son and Applebee's granddaughter to Upland High School.

Ferro's large white stucco home has a U.S. flag hanging from its eaves and seven cars, including a Rolls-Royce, parked outside, one with an Army Special Forces license plate frame. Applebee said Ferro told him he had served in Vietnam.

In the early 1990s, Ferro, a Cuban immigrant, became something of a cause célèbre after his arrest. Prosecutors accused him of using the explosives to train Mexicans to overthrow Castro. His attorney denied that Ferro did anything wrong and said his client was a patriot with a distinguished military career, including volunteering for Operation Skyhook, a private effort to rescue missing servicemen believed held in Vietnam.

Neither Ferro, who was being held at San Bernardino County Jail on $5-million bail, nor his attorney could be reached for comment Tuesday.

Will Telish, an assistant special agent with the Department of Justice's Bureau of Narcotic Enforcement, said authorities believed Ferro sold the guns, other weapons and equipment at local swap meets and at an "appointment-only" antiques shop he owns in Upland.

"Lots of these [purchases] were done by word of mouth on the street, like how narcotics are trafficked," Telish said.

"You sell them on the black market — like selling purses out a trunk," Rodriguez said.

Authorities began investigating Ferro because of his association with Frank Fidel Beltran, who was arrested on suspicion of shooting a police officer who was responding to a domestic disturbance at Beltran's Glendora home Feb. 10. The officer suffered a wound to the hand.

Beltran, who evaded capture for nearly a month, also is accused of shooting his wife eight times a few weeks later. That shooting occurred on a San Dimas street, where he apparently had been following her car.

"She noticed him and tried to get away," Los Angeles County sheriff's spokesman Sgt. David Vega said. "He chased her down after she crashed into a curb and started blasting her."

Beltran fired 20 shots and fled, police say. His wife remains hospitalized.

Beltran, 36, was arrested a few days later at a home in Rancho Cucamonga owned by Ferro. It is unclear why Beltran was at the home. Authorities believe Ferro provided Beltran with his weapons, Telish said.

Telish said authorities were conducting tests to establish whether any of the guns at the Ferro home matched those used in the shootings Beltran is accused of.

Link Posted: 4/19/2006 5:48:11 AM EDT
[#11]
I saw nothing illegal in the article.  I'm assuming he didn't have NFA papers on the machine guns and supressors, but that's shoddy reporting.

ETA:  Ah, the second article is much better and actually has useful information.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 5:49:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 5:50:40 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I saw nothing illegal in the article.  I'm assuming he didn't have NFA papers on the machine guns and supressors, but that's shoddy reporting.

ETA:  Ah, the second article is much better and actually has useful information.

He's a felon.  That's 900 illegal things.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 5:51:41 AM EDT
[#14]

Authorities plan to trace the origins of each weapon, Aguilera said.  "Each weapon has a story to tell, and we're going to find out where they came from," he said.

Damn, I hate sitting by the door with the phone in my hand. Will they call or will they come by this time? Something tells me that I need to have a batch of cookies and a glass of milk ready.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 5:53:07 AM EDT
[#15]
What laws has he broken? Are you not allowed to do FTF sales in CA?
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 5:55:00 AM EDT
[#16]
They said they found some of the most powerful firearms — Uzis and AK-47s

Uh-oh, they're at it again...

Link Posted: 4/19/2006 5:55:31 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
What laws has he broken? Are you not allowed to do FTF sales in CA?

There's a whole lot of things that felons aren't allowed to do.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 5:58:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 6:05:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Any word on the family dog?
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 6:10:59 AM EDT
[#20]

they found some of the most powerful firearms — Uzis and AK-47s
Same old bullshit lines from the ignorant sheeple.

Anyway, here is a question - what will happen to the weapons? Specifically the "machine guns"? Will BATFE take them? Will the SO's office keep them? Can they be resold legally?

Link Posted: 4/19/2006 6:14:00 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The first article failed to mention that.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 6:15:07 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
What laws has he broken?

Felon possess firearm.
Violations of state AW ban.
NFA violations.

Hey SMGLee, did you know this guy?
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 6:17:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 6:19:04 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The first article failed to mention that.

I admit after the first article I was thinking arsenal hell, that's a dream of mine.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 6:24:07 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.cbs2.com

+1
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 6:24:23 AM EDT
[#26]
The article makes no mention as to their legality. Is this stuff legal in CA.?
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 6:24:29 AM EDT
[#27]

I have to admit, he sounds like my kind of guy.

1)  SF veteran.

2)  Underground shooting range.

3)  Weapons hidden everywhere.

4)  Hates commies.

Link Posted: 4/19/2006 6:28:41 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Upland Home Hid Cache of Guns
Inside the home, authorities found assault weapons, submachine guns, automatic rifles, explosive devices and other weapons, said Shirley Lesslak, a Department of Justice special agent supervisor.

You mean, like BAR's?
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 6:31:45 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

www.cbs2.com

I'm a talking head for the puppet show and I read from a script, Aguilera said.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 6:32:43 AM EDT
[#30]
The guy was a scumbag.

In the early 1990s, Ferro made headlines after he was accused of running a paramilitary camp on a Pomona chicken ranch that was dedicated to the overthrow of Cuban leader Fidel Castro. At the ranch, authorities found 5 pounds of C-4, a putty-like explosive. He was convicted of possession of illegal explosives in 1992 and sentenced to two years in prison.

-felon
-silencers
-class III firearms
-hi-cap magazines in CA
-assault weapons in CA
-blackmarket selling*

*The only face-to-face transfers that are allowed in CA is the transfer of C&R long arms between two non-felons. I doubt he was only selling old mausers and mosin nagants out of his home.

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.cbs2.com

Actaully, in this case you should be as several of his firearms have been used in shootings, so they are correct this time. This guy is exactly the kind of dirtbag that allows firearms to go to criminals as was what happened in this case and led the police to him.

Link Posted: 4/19/2006 7:32:54 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I havte to admit, he sounds like my kind of guy.

1)  SF veteran.

2)  Underground shooting range.

3)  Weapons hidden everywhere.

4)  Hates commies.

+1  

The GOOCH I see your points too, he broke laws (even though most CA laws are crappy anyway) and will have to do the time.  

The info in both stories, still, is too sketchy to say if this guy intended to help "criminals".  Domestic disputes are crimes of passion, need more evidence he was selling to drug runners, bank robbers, etc.  more info needed.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 7:49:02 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
The guy was a scumbag.

-felon
-silencers
-class III firearms
-hi-cap magazines in CA
-assault weapons in CA
-blackmarket selling*

*The only face-to-face transfers that are allowed in CA is the transfer of C&R long arms between two non-felons. I doubt he was only selling old mausers and mosin nagants out of his home.

Wow.  I guess we'd all line up to hand over the other folks in CA that didn't register their evil high-caps or terrorist assualt guns.

Don't get me wrong.  It sounds like he is a class-A asshole and may he rot but I'd not expect this place to be using those reasons to support it.  I know, you keeps yer guns you takes yer chances I guess.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 7:50:42 AM EDT
[#33]

"We went there looking for two guns," said Det. Joe Rodriguez of the Glendora Police Department. "We didn't expect to find more than 800. It was quite out of anyone's grasp. We are still trying to comprehend it."

= JBT and BATFE wet dream
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 8:00:21 AM EDT
[#34]

He found most of them on the bottom of a lake after several mysterious "boating accidents".

Link Posted: 4/19/2006 8:06:31 AM EDT
[#35]
That is a lot of thrusts per squeeze!

Link Posted: 4/19/2006 8:13:03 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
The guy was a scumbag.

-felon
-silencers
-class III firearms
-hi-cap magazines in CA
-assault weapons in CA
-blackmarket selling*

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.cbs2.com

Actaully, in this case you should be as several of his firearms have been used in shootings, so they are correct this time. This guy is exactly the kind of dirtbag that allows firearms to go to criminals as was what happened in this case and led the police to him.

The only reason this guy was a scumbag was because he was a felon. Criminals will get guns nommater what, and they can kill you just as dead with a knife as with a gun. I could honestly care less that he had machine guns and silencers.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 8:18:54 AM EDT
[#37]

This guy probably wanted to be an ATF agent since he was a kid.  Betcha he got that line from an old movie or TV show, and practiced it in front of the bathroom mirror.  Then he spent most of his career waiting for the chance to say that to a reporter, his 15 seconds of fame.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 8:32:20 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

The only reason this guy was a scumbag was because he was a felon. Criminals will get guns nommater what, and they can kill you just as dead with a knife as with a gun. I could honestly care less that he had machine guns and silencers.

Well...duh.  He's a scumbag felon!  And your second comment, "Criminals will get guns nommater [sic] what," is also true because he's a criminal with guns.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 8:45:08 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly. Other than being a felon, there seemed to be no violation of the 2nd amendment,  except that now depending on your location gun ownership is equated with illegal drug possession.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 8:47:08 AM EDT
[#40]
He is a felon, but he was convicted of having explosives, C-4 or some such at his paramilitary traing camp where he was training people to overthrow Castro.

What is really wrong with that?

I know it is against the law, but should it be against the law?

Now the shooting incidents put him into a different catagory.......

But did the man push him over the edge, with a conviction for something that many might consider BS?

points to ponder???????

ETA Since he was a convicted felon, I don't think he should have had firearms, but I still don't think what he was originally convicted for was right.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 8:52:59 AM EDT
[#41]
San Bernardindo SWAT, Just got some new Toys!!!!
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 8:55:15 AM EDT
[#42]

Not me...
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 8:58:44 AM EDT
[#43]
A wine cellar had been converted into a makeshift weapons storage area and shooting range,

Drool.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 9:02:27 AM EDT
[#44]
My search-fu is teh suck-fu, but is this a dupe?

Link Posted: 4/19/2006 9:03:44 AM EDT
[#45]
any bets on how long his sentence will be?
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 9:06:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Looks like we know where Hannibal Smith retired to...  
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 9:09:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Do you mean that all those laws didn't keep a criminal from collecting several hundred guns in a gun hating state?  Maybe we need more laws.

Link Posted: 4/19/2006 9:12:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 9:15:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Wow.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 9:20:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Did he have any Ammo??

no mention of it in the article.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top