Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2001 7:08:44 AM EDT
Thank God, it's not John Ross!

[size=4]Gun show bans anthrax author[/size=4]

By JOEL ZLOTNIK
The Orange County Register

A Nebraska man who has been traveling to gun shows around the country selling a how-to book on germ warfare was banned from this weekend's show at the Orange County Fairgrounds.

Bob Templeton, owner of Crossroads of the West Gun Shows, said he was "flabbergasted" when he learned Timothy W. Tobiason was selling his self-published book "Advanced Biological Weapons Design and Manufacture" at the shows.

Templeton said he learned about Tobiason from a New York Times article. In the story, Tobiason, 45, talked about his hatred of the federal government and likened himself to Timothy McVeigh, who was put to death this year for the 1995 bombing in Oklahoma City. Federal officials said they have been aware of Tobiason for years. The story ran Friday in The Orange County Register.

"He is clearly a very troubled person," Templeton said. "We don't tolerate any literature that's racist or advocates the violent overthrow of the government."

The book, [u]which includes a crude recipe for anthrax[/u], was being sold under the table at a Crossroads show in Salt Lake City last weekend, Templeton said. Tobiason won't be allowed at future shows, he said. Crossroads shows are held almost every weekend and move among California, Nevada, Utah, Arizona and Colorado.

The Orange County show, Saturday and today from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., is expected to draw a record crowd in part because of changing attitudes toward guns since Sept. 11, Templeton said.

"I think more people are feeling the need for self-defense and to get protection," Templeton said. People are looking to take personal responsibility for their safety, he said.

Based on Saturday's attendance, Templeton said he expects to draw about 12,000 people to this weekend's show. Last year's show drew about 8,000.

Diana Colucci, a 47-year- old trap and skeet shooter from Newport Beach, said she understood people's desire to protect themselves but added that guns are not necessarily the answer.

"So many people are running scared, and that's a sad thing because that's when accidental shootings happen," she said.

National Rifle Association recruiter Rob Canfield said those in attendance Saturday were not the typical gun- show crowd. About two- thirds of the people he spoke to standing in line were not NRA members, he said. "It shows that people are afraid, that we're vulnerable now and people can hurt us and we want to protect ourselves."

Irvine resident Rolf Parks, who came to the show Saturday looking for deals on gun accessories, said the attacks have affected everyone. "I think a lot of people are thinking more defensively about their own safety."

Parks, 49, said his mother bought him his first gun when he was 16. He has used them throughout his life and said it's important that new gun owners get proper training.

Ron Crim of Las Flores was buying shooting-range targets with Osama bin Laden's picture on them at three for $5. Slogans like "Wanted Dead or Alive" were printed across the bottom.

Crim said he was looking forward to getting out on the range and taking aim at the man believed to be responsible for the terrorist attacks on the United States.

See article at:[url]http://ocregister.com/local/guns01125cci1.shtml[/url]

Eric The(Whew!!!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 7:14:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Now Cletus, the first step in making this cool powder is to take some bleach and boil it....

Really, somebody worse off in the head than Imbroglio.
Ice
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 7:47:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Thats just what we need psycho idiots selling this crap at gun shows.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 7:53:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Hate to break it to you, but we already have idiots selling illegal crap at gunshows because they are Stuuuuupid and that is why you see those guys selling mags that say on them LE/Military Use Only and illegally configured postbans.

Ice
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 3:05:17 PM EDT
[#4]
...now if they could just boot the Nazi (unless its ww2 memorablilia) guys, the beef jerky guys, and the Turner diaries selling guys.

their free to publish their books, but what self-repecting gunowner wants to see that crap at a gunshow.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 3:15:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
...now if they could just boot the Nazi (unless its ww2 memorablilia) guys, the beef jerky guys, and the Turner diaries selling guys.

their free to publish their books, but what self-repecting gunowner wants to see that crap at a gunshow.
View Quote

What an interesting statement from someone carrying the name LIBERTARIAN. Mayhap they should sell books on prostitution and drug paraphenalia? Lets hear it for the first amendment!! Woo Hoo!!

[flame]
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 3:25:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

eh! you mess with the jerky guy and yer gona have to answer to me [bounce]
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 3:37:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 3:55:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Ah, but [i]'liberty'[/i] just as easily means that the gun show promoter is free to prohibit whatever he deems inappropriate at his show!

If Mr. Tobiason doesn't like it, he can go start his own gun show and let in all the 'arts and croissant' folks, crafts and beads, and vitameatavegemin sales folks in he desires!

Eric The(SauceForGoose,SauceForGander)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 4:03:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 4:36:42 PM EDT
[#10]
You know before I left Louisiana in the broad daylight, the Legislature was considering the approval of a defense to the charge of simple battery that went something like this -

It is a defense to the charge of simple battery, if, at the time of the offense, the victim was burning, or attempting to burn, the flag of the United States, the Confederacy, or the State of Louisiana.

I never found out whether the law was passed or not, but I thought that it was the State's proper response to the flag-burning controversy!

If you burn the flag, we will not protect you from the reasonably foreseeable consequences of your actions. At least to the point where only a [u]simple[/u] battery occurs - no lethal weapon, no grave bodily injury, were involved.

In the old days, such things were permitted under the 'fighting words' exception to most simple battery situations.

Eric The(Yeah,TheGoodOldDays)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 6:14:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Gee I posted the EXACT SAME article a couple of days ago.

[url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=72815[/url]

Where are all of the hostile replies to ETH? Where is rik "mr. ad hominem" writer with his yenta tantrum?

Link Posted: 11/26/2001 6:22:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Gee I posted the EXACT SAME article a couple of days ago.

[url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=72815[/url]

Where are all of the hostile replies to ETH? Where is rik "mr. ad hominem" writer with his yenta tantrum?

View Quote

There wasn't any need for me to be here until you started whining and bitching again...as you inevitably do.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 6:22:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Hypocrits.

It's the same absurd nonsense as the federal government deciding to remove government documents from university libraries that deal with our nation's watersheds and water supply systems.

What's next?  Book burning in the town square?  Sheesh!  

Books on bio/chem warfare and how to make such agents are also useful for learning how to protect against such agents, am I right?  

Just goes to show that the right wing and the left wing are the same wing.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 6:28:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Eeek! I'm sorry Imbroglio, I've been in Shreveport for the past several days and missed your thread on this article.

I never would have re-posted it had I known that you'd already posted it!

And, no, you certainly [u]didn't[/u] make any editorial comments on whether it was right or wrong to bar the guy from future shows!

But you [u]know[/u] how I get pilloried for sticking up for the Israelis, and a fair amount of ad hominems come my way as the result of my unapologetic stance on the Jewish Homeland.

Eric The(WePariahsNeedToStickTogetherRight?)Hun[>]:)]  
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 8:08:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hypocrits.
View Quote

Or "hypocrites" even.

It's the same absurd nonsense as the federal government deciding to remove government documents from university libraries that deal with our nation's watersheds and water supply systems.
View Quote

Well no, it's not.  The First Amendment applies to government restrictions on free speech.  Gun show organizers are private businessmen who can allow or disallow anything they please in their gun show.  Anyone with half a brain would know that.  Ooops...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top