Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 1/20/2015 9:35:13 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/20/2015 9:41:17 PM EST by wav3form]
I have a pair of these cables, around 20 feet total. (10' for right side, 10' for left side). My dad gave it to me a few years ago and I really don't need it. These were pretty expensive a while back like 400 bucks a meter.

Anybody know what the going rate for this stuff is these days? I know this is for a niche market but someone here has to be into high end audio.

Here's what it looks like (not mine, photo from interwebs)

It's silver plated copper wire.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:36:26 PM EST
I'll pay scrap price. It's copper wire, right?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:40:17 PM EST
Most of the rare-earth elements have probably evaporated out of the conductor by now, esoteric funtionality has been compromised.

Sadly, your speaker cables are now only suitable for use as a backup to Beats Audio branded products.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:42:01 PM EST
Ill give you like $10
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:44:07 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KELBEAST:
I'll pay scrap price. It's copper wire, right?
View Quote

Well silver coated copper... but it's in a microphonic damped exterior jacket!
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:46:01 PM EST
Originally Posted By WildApple:
Ill give you like $10
View Quote

Cool, I'll send you one inch of cable.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:48:10 PM EST
Only the .gov would be stupid enough to pay $400/m for speaker cable.

Txl
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:48:12 PM EST
check audiogon.com see if someone is selling. I have a considerable investment in 2 channel audio, cables are hard to sell.

for what its worth, I have heard of these, never heard them.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:49:24 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/20/2015 9:50:39 PM EST by Thepilot]
had a chance to compare them to any standard lamp wire? be interested to know how that shook out.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:55:04 PM EST
Originally Posted By TxLewis:
Only the .gov would be stupid enough to pay $400/m for speaker cable.

Txl
View Quote

You don't know audiophiles that well, do you.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:55:34 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/20/2015 9:57:41 PM EST by wav3form]
Originally Posted By justinbiscuit:
check audiogon.com see if someone is selling. I have a considerable investment in 2 channel audio, cables are hard to sell.

for what its worth, I have heard of these, never heard them.
View Quote

Thanks, I'll do that. I can find these in Germany pretty easily but slim pickings here in the states.

Eh, no hits at audiogon.com. I'll keep looking.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:04:37 PM EST
The current market seems to be $85 a meter used in Europe . Not sure what the longer length would bring . My thought would be Ebay
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:04:57 PM EST
Originally Posted By Thepilot:
had a chance to compare them to any standard lamp wire? be interested to know how that shook out.
View Quote

I did a blind test between two audiophile cable sets (over $400/m), best buy speaker cable and home depot extension cord.

The extension cord sounded like total crap, everything else was close. Ended up with one of the extensive sets

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:09:19 PM EST
Originally Posted By whiskerz:
The current market seems to be $85 a meter used in Europe . Not sure what the longer length would bring . My thought would be Ebay
View Quote

Yeah I'm thinking put them on ebay and see what happens. Maybe put a reasonable reserve price as well.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:11:05 PM EST

I did a blind test between two audiophile cable sets (over $400/m), best buy speaker cable and home depot extension cord.

The extension cord sounded like total crap, everything else was close. Ended up with one of the extensive sets

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Thepilot:

I'm with you, I have trouble discerning between high end cables and mid-range cables. I can easily tell high end speakers and such but cables? That's really nit picky stuff right there.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:25:03 PM EST
My first cousin is very into high end home audio. We had the exotic, expensive wire conversation after Thanksgiving dinner. He compared it to nitro dragsters. The guy with the cables that costs thousands of dollars might notice a minute difference just as a nitro funny car that makes a tweak in the engine (or where ever) might go 100th of a second faster than the other guy. Either way, he says it's a game for the big boys who can afford that stuff. He buys his stuff second hand off of the audiogon website.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:47:09 PM EST
Originally Posted By wav3form:
View Quote

Those aren't speaker cables.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:54:24 PM EST
The human ear is incapable of distinguishing differences between music played on $400 a meter wire......and any decent off the shelf speaker wire. There aren't magical unicorns farting special sauce down the cables.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:01:23 PM EST
Originally Posted By Skibane:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Skibane:

Correct, they're interconnects

Depends on how long they were run on a cable cooker.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:08:41 PM EST
Good luck. Audio anything is taking a beating in the used market, it seems.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:19:28 PM EST
some of yall need to look at what some audiophiles spend on their stuff. you will shit bricks.

was into some of that stuff but never in my mind would i go overboard and pay that much.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:21:53 PM EST
Originally Posted By webman:
Good luck. Audio anything is taking a beating in the used market, it seems.
View Quote

It's taking a beating new as well because the vast majority of that stuff is complete hocus pocus bullshit and people are starting to realize it.
Top Top