Posted: 1/2/2007 10:59:32 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 11:00:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Typical MickeySoft response.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 11:02:53 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

And here I was thinking helping customers out by extending the warranty was a good thing. Silly me.

As for the OP, I haven't had my 360 break yet. I leave it way out in the open so it has plenty of ventilation and have not had a problem.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 11:15:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 11:17:56 AM EDT
[#4]
The problem with Microsoft is they rush things to the market and consumers get pissed because they do not work.

That is also the reason why they are so sucessful at dominating the market.

Strange business model if you ask me.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 11:26:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Good to know.  We bought a fan kit for my sons', just in case.   It's kind of loud, with three fans going all the time, but I figured it was worth it to keep it from overheating.  I also keep the power box as far away from the console as possible, to keep the heat away.

The Xbox live stuff is addicting.    
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 11:32:24 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And here I was thinking helping customers out by extending the warranty was a good thing. Silly me.

As for the OP, I haven't had my 360 break yet. I leave it way out in the open so it has plenty of ventilation and have not had a problem.

I had my 360 crap out on me after the Fall update, Microsoft's "Help" back in November when I called was pretty mu ch "Fuck you ... you're box is out of warranty, want it fixed? Give us money."

The ONLY reason Microsoft suddenly changed their tune was because the PS3 and Nintendo wii came out of the starting gate with a full one year warranty.

There was a tremendous amount of movement against Microsoft by owners of the 360 who had their consoles "Bricked" by the Fall update ... A couple of class a ction lawsuits were being prepared, hundreds of complaints had been filed with the BBB, and various State departments of Consumer Affairs, several stories ran on local and national news level about how Microsoft was patching in faulty updates that were crippling the consoles of many people with zero history of problems.

Just so you understand the full story.

Microsoft is not in the LEAST bit interested in "Helping Out the Customer". They looked at all that was working against them (lawsuits, competitors offerings, potential investigation into what they're doing) and realized the easiest way out was to put fix what they fucked up. Don't think for a second that if Microsoft could've gotten away with NOT spending millions of dollars to correct what they broke they wouldn't. It was a business decision, that has the net result of helping out the consumer for a change.

ETA: I'd received a call from a Microsoft rep regarding my complaint filed with the BBB, their answer was "No, we will not be giving you a refund for the repairs to your console ... it is not our problem that your system broke outside of warranty [after we screwed it up with our Fall update patch]". The very next day, they released the press release that warranties were extended to 1 year, and that refunds would be issued to everyone who had paid for repairs.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 11:44:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I had my 360 bricked also, but MS sent me a refurb rather quick.

I've read both horror stories and kudos to MS for their handling of 360 repairs.  The problem with MS seems to be the consistency.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 11:45:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 11:57:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Good to know.  We bought a fan kit for my sons', just in case.   It's kind of loud, with three fans going all the time, but I figured it was worth it to keep it from overheating.  I also keep the power box as far away from the console as possible, to keep the heat away.

Just an FYI, but have read a lot about those aftermarket fan kits over on the AVS forum.  That Nycco or whatever it's called intercooling kit is supposedly a bad deal.  The way it plugs into the 360 it actually draws power off the incoming power of the 360, instead of being seperately powered.  This lower of incoming voltage on the 360 is not reccomended, and Microsoft can void the warranty by it's use.

Ventilation is key for the 360.  A lot of the problem 360's tend to have bad air flow around them, or stuck in a cabinet.

I didn't know that.    Thanks for the heads up.   So, I should take the cooling fans off?   Anyone else agree with this?
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 11:58:31 AM EDT
[#10]
I haven't had an issue with mine at all, but good to know M$ is doing this.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 11:59:06 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just an FYI, but have read a lot about those aftermarket fan kits over on the AVS forum.  That Nycco or whatever it's called intercooling kit is supposedly a bad deal.  The way it plugs into the 360 it actually draws power off the incoming power of the 360, instead of being seperately powered.  This lower of incoming voltage on the 360 is not reccomended, and Microsoft can void the warranty by it's use.

Ventilation is key for the 360.  A lot of the problem 360's tend to have bad air flow around them, or stuck in a cabinet.

I didn't know that.    Thanks for the heads up.   So, I should take the cooling fans off?   Anyone else agree with this?

Don't use that add on fan thing.  Waste of money.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 12:16:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Don't think for a second that if Microsoft could've gotten away with NOT spending millions of dollars to correct what they broke they wouldn't. It was a business decision, that has the net result of helping out the consumer for a change.

+1

It took Microsoft to make the console gaming experience as troublesome as PC gaming.  Patches?  Are you fucking serious?

Here's hoping they never bring a goddamned toaster to market.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 12:16:58 PM EDT
[#13]
My first 360 died at 29 days after purchase last year.

Though usually not a fan of them, I bought the extended coverage from Circuit City on the replacement box.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 12:18:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 12:19:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's just a couple of topics on the Nyko Intercooler after a quick search on it over at AVS for your reading pleasure.  Don't want to see anyone melt their system.  Heck, you could probably sell the intercooler kit on ebay for atleast 75% of what you paid for it :

www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=775371&highlight=nyko

www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=716258&highlight=nyko

Thanks for the links.  I pulled the fan last night.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 12:33:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, that is good news the MS is going one full year on the warranty.  If they have a good product, it shouldn't cost them too much, on the other hand if not, it going to be pretty expensive.

Quoted:

My son has one of these fan units for his Xbox360m and the darn thing so many drew so many amps that it melted some of the plastic  where the socket connects to the Xbox to draw power, anyways, I straightened out the pin in the socket and it cured that problem.  But this fan unit is loud.  What I did for my son, unscrew all of the fans from the housing, and peel back the little sticky label that is on the back of the fan, and put a a drop of 5/30 motor oil on it, let it sit overnight to seep into the bearings, and reassemble.  According to my son, it quieted the fan noise down somewhat.  From what i can tell, the fans don't have any lube on the sleeve bearings.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 12:53:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The problem with Microsoft is they rush things to the market and consumers get pissed because they do not work.

That is also the reason why they are so sucessful at dominating the market.

Strange business model if you ask me.

Consumers have themselves to thank for making it a reality.  Businesses have learned a lot from the drug trade.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top