Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2006 11:45:08 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:50:39 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
got a letter and new card from my bank today stating they and many other banks were notified by VISA that several visa debit card numbers may have been compromised in an accident involveing and "as-yet" undisclosed retailer. Federal LE is investigating.

might want to keep an eye on your accounts.

mike

thanks for the heads up.  what bank was this?  i have a BOA visa debit card.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:56:22 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
got a letter and new card from my bank today stating they and many other banks were notified by VISA that several visa debit card numbers may have been compromised in an accident involveing and "as-yet" undisclosed retailer. Federal LE is investigating.

might want to keep an eye on your accounts.

mike

thanks for the heads up.  what bank was this?  i have a BOA visa debit card.

I have the list, give me your numbers and I'll tell you if your card was involved...
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:56:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Some crap like that happened in Nov 04... both my Visa credit and Visa checkcard accounts, through different banks, had to be cancelled and changed to a new account number.  

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:58:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:59:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info, haven't received anything yet, hopefully I won't either.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:01:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:02:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info, haven't received anything yet, hopefully I won't either.  

+1
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:14:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:22:26 PM EDT
[#9]
ETA: Duh.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:25:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Delta Credit Union reissued our cards about a month ago for the same reason. Can't trust anybody these days it seems.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:28:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:30:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
my bank is Amsouth but this apparently is not a problem on just their cards

No letter for me, I have the same bank.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:31:54 PM EDT
[#13]
just great, well I need a new card soon anyway, but it would suck to have to memorize a whole new number. Hopefully I'm not affected though, we will see I guess.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:33:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the heads-up.  Our bank is BofA...haven't seen or heard anything as of yet.

I hope they nail these guys to the wall.

HH
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:36:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:46:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks Mike.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:53:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Someone bought a gun using my Visa bank card.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:59:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Impossible.

I was told repeatedly, right here on ARFCOM, that debit cards are safer than cash.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:02:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:10:48 PM EDT
[#20]
BWAHAAA,,,,

It would'nt be Aim Surplus would it?  

OOPs I never mentinoned it,Verbally gave the man my card numbers and such Phished me for over a Thousand Dollars by Western Union I will Never do business with them again OR give Credit Card# to anyone by Phone

"Your case is now complete.Thanks to your helpful cooperation with our investigation,we were able to assign responsibility to the MERCHANT"

Many Thanks to my Credit Card to notify me of what was going on I never give the numbers but I did to Aim Surplus for a Ammo purchase and that's the ONLY one I did with'in even remote months,,,,I liked doing commerce with Eric never had a Glitch till' now and from now Never will
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:17:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:21:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Your bank is a little slow TBS.  My card was cancelled and replaced two weeks ago for this incident.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:22:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:41:02 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
wow i ahve ordered THOUSANDS of dollars from aim with no problems. that sucks
as for Ammoman he's no longer in business. was just bought out according to his website.

I think that was an April Fools Day joke.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:15:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Haven't heard of anything.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:46:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks for tacking this, Mike.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:41:11 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Impossible.

I was told repeatedly, right here on ARFCOM, that debit cards are safer than cash.

They are, Oly...

These people have lost NOTHING, you see... Even the folks who's card numbers got scammed & used lost nothing...

If someone scams your cash, it's gone...

Scam your DC number and you're out a phone call & a card number, no more...
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:37:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for the heads up. I will definitely keep an eye on the ole account.
James
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:46:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:52:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks for the heads up
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:03:55 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Delta Credit Union reissued our cards about a month ago for the same reason. Can't trust anybody these days it seems.

Capitialism: Profit first, all else second.  (Hey, it usualy works out well)
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:19:20 AM EDT
[#32]
ah F**k

id better check my account balance...
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:23:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Interesting...Friday morning I stopped and got gas. I tried to use my BOA Visa Check Card. I got a message " Cannot process request at this time". It's a little embarassing, as people around you automatically think "Look the dude's card is maxed out" or something. I paid cash for my fuel, and went home.
Once at home, I pulled up my account on the net, and it was fine. I'm thinking, OK, it must have been a network communications thing of something. I had some things to do, so I went back out, and stopped by the ATM for some cash. I got the same message. OK, now I'm getting concerned.

I wait for my bank branch to open, and took my card inside. The teller pulls my account up, and gets this wierd look on her face. Then she calls the manager over to look at the computer. The manager gets the same look, and tells me that I'll have to call the 800 number for the main headquarters, and talk to customer service. My account had been "Restricted" (WTF???).

The manager leads me to a counter phone, and dials the number. I talk to a nice woman who tells me that they need to verify the activity in my account. She questions me about the resent card activity. I verified that the charges were legit. She thanks me for my time, and apologizes for the inconvienance. She tells me that the restriction had been lifted, and my card should work normally now. I tried it at the ATM, and it worked OK.

They never mentioned any security breach, or that I should monitor my account. No explainations at all.

Naturally, I have to log onto ARFCOM to find out what's going on...
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:37:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Check cards are stupid.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:49:29 AM EDT
[#35]
What is happening normally is hackers are raiding card information that merchant processors are storing.  Unfortunately, data security at some of these places are lacking - to say the least.  When something like this happens, Visa and MC are able to narrow down the range of numbers that were known to be, or suspected to have been, compromised.  They can then inform your bank who should send you the letter and reissue you a new card.  

This isn't always the fault of the merchant.  If their CC processor is lacking in security then it can happen.  Keep in mind that as a cardholder, you WILL get your money back if you experience fraud on your card.  If someone steals your wallet full of cash, what then?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:54:24 AM EDT
[#36]

Interesting...Friday morning I stopped and got gas. I tried to use my BOA Visa Check Card. I got a message " Cannot process request at this time". It's a little embarassing, as people around you automatically think "Look the dude's card is maxed out" or something. I paid cash for my fuel, and went home.
Once at home, I pulled up my account on the net, and it was fine. I'm thinking, OK, it must have been a network communications thing of something. I had some things to do, so I went back out, and stopped by the ATM for some cash. I got the same message. OK, now I'm getting concerned.

I wait for my bank branch to open, and took my card inside. The teller pulls my account up, and gets this wierd look on her face. Then she calls the manager over to look at the computer. The manager gets the same look, and tells me that I'll have to call the 800 number for the main headquarters, and talk to customer service. My account had been "Restricted" (WTF???).

The manager leads me to a counter phone, and dials the number. I talk to a nice woman who tells me that they need to verify the activity in my account. She questions me about the resent card activity. I verified that the charges were legit. She thanks me for my time, and apologizes for the inconvienance. She tells me that the restriction had been lifted, and my card should work normally now. I tried it at the ATM, and it worked OK.

They never mentioned any security breach, or that I should monitor my account. No explainations at all.

Naturally, I have to log onto ARFCOM to find out what's going on...

That is usually what it takes to find out about something like this.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:59:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:06:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:08:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:10:05 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Impossible.

You sure never heard that from me.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:10:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top