Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2004 10:35:41 AM EDT
I have been looking for the answer to this question, and I have been unable to find it ANYWHERE!

I am what the ATF calls an unlicensed person. I wish to transfer a long gun to a licensee in another state. The licensee that I am transfering my long gun to has sent me his FFL number, and I have verified this on FFL eZcheck. Have I sufficiently met my legal obligation to verify that I am not transfering this firearm to a non-licensed person or a prohibited person?

Am I required to obtain a copy of the licensee's license in either blue or black ink before transering my firearm to an out of state licensee?

I just wanna make sure I don't wind up with the Feds kickin' my door in.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 10:37:01 AM EDT
[#1]
You should be OK as long as you send it to the address listed on the FFL.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 10:38:02 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have been looking for the answer to this question, and I have been unable to find it ANYWHERE!

I am what the ATF calls an unlicensed person. I wish to transfer a long gun to a licensee in another state. The licensee that I am transfering my long gun to has sent me his FFL number, and I have verified this on FFL eZcheck. Have I sufficiently met my legal obligation to verify that I am not transfering this firearm to a non-licensed person or a prohibited person?

Am I required to obtain a copy of the licensee's license in either blue or black ink before transering my firearm to an out of state licensee?

I just wanna make sure I don't wind up with the Feds kickin' my door in.

Yes, you are fine. No, you do not need a signed copy.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 10:39:20 AM EDT
[#3]
You don't need a copy of his FFL, the shipper is suppose to make sure it's going to an FFL not you. So long as you know he has an FFL you can ship to him without any problems. If UPS or whom ever you are using to ship has a question they can go to the ATF site and check to make sure that they are shipping to an FFL holder. Hope this has been some help.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 8:07:38 PM EDT
[#4]
You don't say whom is shipping the long gun. I would guess that it is you. Tell the person to whom you are shipping the gun to send you a signed copy of his FFL. It is not a big deal and will let you sleep better at night. The FFL is only a piece of paper and you can't misuse it or abuse it. Some FFL holders don't have a clue about the regulations and try to hoard the copies of their license. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!
Hell, I'll send you a copy of my C&R license if you have any old stuff at a good price!!
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 9:24:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You don't say whom is shipping the long gun. I would guess that it is you. Tell the person to whom you are shipping the gun to send you a signed copy of his FFL. It is not a big deal and will let you sleep better at night. The FFL is only a piece of paper and you can't misuse it or abuse it. Some FFL holders don't have a clue about the regulations and try to hoard the copies of their license. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!
Hell, I'll send you a copy of my C&R license if you have any old stuff at a good price!!

man where have you been lately? the ATF put a bulletin out last year cautioning dealers about sending ot their FFLs to unlicensed people, there was some ring on the east coast that got a FFL copy and used a computer to alter it and order a ton of guns.

At this day, most FFLs will not send out a copy to an individual.  However for your own peace of mind, just print of the EZ check and staple it to the shipping receipt for your records.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top