Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2002 5:08:19 PM EDT
There have been a few home theater threads here lately...so why not...I'll ask.

What home sub. would you recommend in the $400-500 range.  Will be used for both music and home theater.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 5:38:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Amp included or no amp?  You like music or boom?  Is size a problem?  Prefer plastic or wood?  What are your main speakers?  I've always built my own for myself and for friends, so I don't know what to recommend.  I'm just trying to help you help others give you the best advice.z
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 5:55:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Velodyne Acoustics!
Go to [url]www.audioreview.com[/url]and check out the ratings.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 5:59:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 7:06:38 PM EDT
[#4]
[url]www.hsuresearch.com[/url]

As has been noted, speakers/subs are a personal preference thing. Never take another's word for a purchase YOU need to be sonically pleased with. Listen to as many as you can, and make the choice yourself.

Hsu Research's subs are one that you might want to add to the list to audition.

Happy audio hunting.

Edited to add, the VTF-2 powered sub meets your suggested price range. Not to say that like guns you can't spend more than you intended, but by all accounts, the VTF-2 would not do you wrong.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 7:15:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Another recommendation for HSU subs, in your price range. I own a Paradigm Servo-15, which to me is the best there is, but it cost a lot more than you're talking about. HSU is one of the few that can come close to the same performance level, but at slightly over $500.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 7:35:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Paul's got that right.  Listen before you buy.

Paul, love those RS-2000's.  I've got a pair of RS 2001's a friend gave to me about 10 years ago.  The 2001 is a slightly larger, with a 6.5" rather than 5.25" woofer, version of the 2000.  I use a home-built single-ended valve amp that seems to soften some of the harshness.  Most of my friends hate (no, that's not too strong of a choise of words) those speakers because of their lack of bass.  Yet another case where you should listen before buying.

VMPS, wow haven't heard that name in years.  A friend used to have a pair of their 7 foot tall(!) speakers.  He bought it as a kit from VMPS, and I helped him finish and assemble it.  True 20 Hz bass is very impressive.  The midrange on those were almost as good as with my 60" ribbons that I bought from a friend who had a pair of Genesis 1's ruined by a mover.  If the bass on their subs is anything like what I heard from one of their towers, it's a definite good choise.

It's strange how almost every time the topic of a sub for home comes-up, someone mentions Velodyne.  They must be good.  I need to find one to listen to sometime.

Zippy, Klipsch, that Paul mentioned, is a good choise for bass.  While generally speaking, I don't like their speakers, I really like them for rock music.  I would imagine their subs would be perfect for rock or movies.  They're very dynamic, for lack of a better word.z
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top