Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2005 9:51:38 AM EDT
Well to make a long story short me and my roomate just got back from afghanastan with the Army and are in a new apartment complex. Laid back nice place backed up to a reserve and very private, never had problems with anything here.

We have two suv's out front a car and our bikes two GSX-R's under bike covers. All of these vehicles are ours.

At about 1130 to midnight i went looking out the front window we have like i always do and i see two guys taking off the covers to our bikes with helmets on about to get on them, me and my roomate have lots of weapons and were carrying when we saw it, we ran downstairs and by the time we got there they were in a Explorer driving away, we yelled and they stopped and looked at us and we said why were you on those bikes? (they were still about 50 feet away) They just replied with What? and drove away.

When we walked to the bikes there was a beer bottle tipped over still cold and it smelled like weed very much.

Well we moved the bikes to a friends that is 20 mikes away and is a pain to ride them now, but they are in a garage so they are good, but we have three vehicles out there still and we are paranoid outta our minds, we have a year lease and have only been here like a month,        What do you guys think we shoud do?????????? Just stay alert????? Alarms on bikes???? Put vehicles in storage??????
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:54:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:03:24 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
This is larceny not robbery.

Store them in locked storage or a friends garage.  Motorcycles and apartments don't go well together.

Pull them in your living room when they're not being driven. Just pile some towels on the floor where it's going to be parked and put several drip pans around.

Ben
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:13:46 AM EDT
[#3]
First of all, report the incident to the manager, and then call the local PD, and file a police report.

As for your cars, I would be sure that they have an alarm system, and park them in a well-lighted area, that is visible, ie not behid a bush that can conceal people doing a B&E. Or if possible, visible from your apartment. Make sure your vehicles insurance policies are in force. Don't store anything valuable in your vehicle. I know one guy who lost his guns because after a Friday night of shooting left them in his car, and his car was stolen early in the morning along with his guns.

As for your own personal apartments, I would have timers, lights and a radio tuned to your favorite TV station come on and off during the time you're away from your place. And you may want to layout some sucker stuff for theives to take JUST IN CASE they break into your place.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:15:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:40:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Well to make a long story short me and my roomate just got back from afghanastan with the Army and are in a new apartment complex. Laid back nice place backed up to a reserve and very private, never had problems with anything here.

We have two suv's out front a car and our bikes two GSX-R's under bike covers. All of these vehicles are ours.

At about 1130 to midnight i went looking out the front window we have like i always do and i see two guys taking off the covers to our bikes with helmets on about to get on them, me and my roomate have lots of weapons and were carrying when we saw it, we ran downstairs and by the time we got there they were in a Explorer driving away, we yelled and they stopped and looked at us and we said why were you on those bikes? (they were still about 50 feet away) They just replied with What? and drove away.

When we walked to the bikes there was a beer bottle tipped over still cold and it smelled like weed very much.

Well we moved the bikes to a friends that is 20 mikes away and is a pain to ride them now, but they are in a garage so they are good, but we have three vehicles out there still and we are paranoid outta our minds, we have a year lease and have only been here like a month,        What do you guys think we shoud do?????????? Just stay alert????? Alarms on bikes???? Put vehicles in storage??????

Some kind of alarm I guess.

They sound like your typical white trash thieves.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:44:55 AM EDT
[#6]
you and your room mate should have walked out near butt naked, hand in hand, with nothing but socks on your cocks and asked them if were looking for something else..........seriously there is not much you can do other than a.)get an alarm or b.) watch your bikes.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:15:46 PM EDT
[#7]
get a safe for your guns is the first thing i'd do.  load it up heavy so they can't walk off with it.  I have one and it has 6 bags of lead shot in the bottom.  (i'm renting myslef)  

then i'd put a couple green military plastic pop up targets on the lawn next to the cars. Make sure there are good shots to the head and heart zones.  That might get a message through.  Don't do it w/o the safe and alarm though!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:23:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Fake chalk outlines and poured out pigs blood near where you keep your vehicles can't hurt much either.  Works WONDERS for Jehovah's witness's
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:23:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Did you think to look at the liscense plate?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:24:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I also rent and have 2 bikes parked out front under covers. Although I've noticed the covers displaced slightly before, I don't think I have much to worry about. Is there a way to get past the steering lock on the motorcycles without the key, or is this a sufficient deterrent to thieves? My roommate lost his stereo from his car in the same parking lot a year ago, but with an already slightly torn rag top and no alarm he was kind of asking for it. My car with a visibly armed alarm right next to it was not bothered.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:33:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted: First of all, report the incident to the manager, and then call the local PD, and file a police report.
Yep! Here BTW, property management will be more than happy to hang a flyer containing the description of the perps and their vehicle on everybody's door.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:35:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
. Is there a way to get past the steering lock on the motorcycles without the key, or is this a sufficient deterrent to thieves? .

If they want your bike they pick it up and throw it in the back of a truck.  90% of the time its not the complete bike they want; they part it out, dump the rest, and make easy money.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:43:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
. Is there a way to get past the steering lock on the motorcycles without the key, or is this a sufficient deterrent to thieves? .

If they want your bike they pick it up and throw it in the back of a truck.  90% of the time its not the complete bike they want; they part it out, dump the rest, and make easy money.

Or use a large screwdriver and a hammer and "bypass" the need for a key. If you have to leave your bike outside, get a roller type chain that they can't saw through, run it through the frame and around an immovable object. Or park it in your living room. Your neighbors will love hearing you ride up the stairs....
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:50:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted: First of all, report the incident to the manager, and then call the local PD, and file a police report.
Yep! Here's another tip. Go to one of those gag gift stores and get yourself a sign "Warning: Area Monitored by Cameras" or something along those lines. The crooks won't really know until you shoot 'em. BTW, property management will be more than happy to hang a flyer containing the description of the perps and their vehicle on everybody's door.

Actually, what you can do is hang one of those humanoid targets with the heart area blown out in front of your bike. The perps will get the message real quick.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:53:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for your help guys, keep em coming!

But to answer the question it was to dark to get the plate and when i got close i still couldnt see it, i wanted to pop off a warning shot but that is unrealistic in this apartment setting
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:57:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
But to answer the question it was to dark to get the plate and when i got close i still couldnt see it, i wanted to pop off a warning shot but that is unrealistic in this apartment setting

Seriously, where you park your bike and its dark, I would seriously ask the manager to put in some lights.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:59:59 PM EDT
[#17]
AAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
You're kidding, right?

Most steering locks can be broken just by grabbing the handle bars and giving them a good yank.

Most motorcycles ignition systems can be overcome just by pulling the wire loom connector for the ignition and using a different one from the same make bike.

A hammer and a screwdriver will overcome most igniton locks and ignition systems.

Four guys in a van or a truck can overcome a bike that is locked up with a wheel lock or bike not chained to a post or pole.

Four guys in a van or a truck with an 18 volt battery powered Milwaukee Sawzall can overcome just about any lock, chain or pole.

You need to keep your bike locked up inside of a locked garage.

Quoted:
I also rent and have 2 bikes parked out front under covers. Although I've noticed the covers displaced slightly before, I don't think I have much to worry about. Is there a way to get past the steering lock on the motorcycles without the key, or is this a sufficient deterrent to thieves? My roommate lost his stereo from his car in the same parking lot a year ago, but with an already slightly torn rag top and no alarm he was kind of asking for it. My car with a visibly armed alarm right next to it was not bothered.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:03:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
AAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
You're kidding, right?

Most steering locks can be broken just by grabbing the handle bars and giving them a good yank.

Most motorcycles ignition systems can be overcome just by pulling the wire loom connector for the ignition and using a different one from the same make bike.

A hammer and a screwdriver will overcome most igniton locks and ignition systems.

Four guys in a van or a truck can overcome a bike that is locked up with a wheel lock or bike not chained to a post or pole.

Four guys in a van or a truck with an 18 volt battery powered Milwaukee Sawzall can overcome just about any lock, chain or pole.

You need to keep your bike locked up inside of a locked garage.

Quoted:

Sorry to say I was truly curious about this. Just because I have a bike doesn't mean I know how to steal one. Looks like I need to move.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:37:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Maybe you can try video surveillance (with night time capability) and record it on a 24/72 hr VCR.  Make sure people can't see the camera so they won't hit your apartment to disable it.  Leave notices on the vehicle warning that the vehicles and surrounding areas are under video surveillance to deter theft.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top