Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2009 5:10:34 AM EST
Where does Ms. Rand stand with feminism? I think most objectiveists would agree she's a fine example but I've never heard her name mentioned in feminist circles.

Was there supposed to be homosexuality in AS? There were a few scenes where I wondered if it was going to end up that way. Back when the book was written, there were plenty of examples of homosexutality sneaking into books and film, but it was much more subtle and I have horrible gaydar.

I'm writing a paper on the book and I'm trying to explore a few subjects that haven't been discussed yet. Thanks to anyone who replies!

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:13:44 AM EST
The same reason you won't find Sarah Palin mentioned in feminazi circles except as a curse. Even thought they are prefect examples of women who have achieved great things in life, they don't follow the commie pap of the lezzie left and so are anathema. Like a Black Republican.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:31:41 AM EST
I think the strong woman protaginist example who overcomes all obstacles and does a superior job compared to other milktoast men while searching for the truth illustrates her femminist beliefs and my gheydar didn't go off at all while reading that book for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:38:17 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/3/2009 5:38:35 AM EST by vito113]
ATLAS SHRUGGED SUCKED…

Everybody: Who is John Galt?

Dagny Taggart: You must be John Galt.

John Galt: Indeed, I am he.

Dagny Taggart: So, where are you and all your friends hiding?

John Galt: I'm not telling you.

[She figures it out anyway. Later:]

Dagny Taggart: John Galt, you are so clever! Please rape me!

[He does. Later, on the radio, he explains the basic tenets of Objectivism:]

John Galt: I rule. You all suck.

THE END.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:41:51 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/3/2009 5:43:50 AM EST by PlaymoreMinds]
She definitely saw the value of feminism...without OVER valuing it. Dagny was a strong independent woman. But she didn't mind playing housemaid to Galt when in the Gulch. Why? Because that task had a value...Rand didn't quantify what tasks had greater or lesser values...she quantified value based upon performance.

As far as the gaydar...it's there and it's not. Definitely some weirdness when Francisco and Hank rubbed elbows and when Hank and Galt did...it's not overt...and it may not be there at all: men CAN love other men without sexuality being involved. I think what she got wrong is admiration trumping competition in men. (Hank's acceptance of Galt in Dagny's life). I can't see too many men doing that.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:42:58 AM EST

Originally Posted By vito113:
ATLAS SHRUGGED SUCKED…

Everybody: Who is John Galt?

Dagny Taggart: You must be John Galt.

John Galt: Indeed, I am he.

Dagny Taggart: So, where are you and all your friends hiding?

John Galt: I'm not telling you.

[She figures it out anyway. Later:]

Dagny Taggart: John Galt, you are so clever! Please rape me!

[He does. Later, on the radio, he explains the basic tenets of Objectivism:]

THE END.

Nice of you to share your opinion, however, I think the OP was looking for help with his term paper...not a critique.

However you've backed up my theory that men are too competitive.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:44:57 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/3/2009 5:47:15 AM EST by vito113]
Originally Posted By PlaymoreMinds:
Nice of you to share your opinion, however, I think the OP was looking for help with his term paper...not a critique.

However you've backed up my theory that men are too competitive.

Ayn Rand had terminal penis envy.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:46:36 AM EST
Dagny would not have been welcome in any feminist circles I've seen. She was very much submissive to men she could respect.

I don't recall ever inferring any homosexuality in the book, although many of the moochers/looters had effeminate characteristics.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:49:52 AM EST

there's a tag line
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:04:23 AM EST
There is an old saying," men want to be him, women want to be with him."

Because Rand was a woman, when she wrote about male to male admiration and respect, she got the "men want to be him" a little crossed with "women want to be with him". Her male characters are "men she would want to be with", and she projects that a little bit.

Its a good book.
Top Top