Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/8/2010 9:11:16 AM EDT
Been on it for 6 days and have lost 4 lbs so far, its really not that bad but Im running out of ideas for breakfast foods. Already getting a little tired of eggs eggs egss and bacon......well will never really tire of bacon but need to mix it up.

Have a 40 lb weight loss goal so its at least 3 more months of this stuff.

Any of you done Atkins ? Any ideas for breakfast ?

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:11:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2010 9:12:45 AM EDT by TheGunCollector]
Most of that weight loss is water weight.

Protein shakes?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:15:54 AM EDT
Skip the fad shit and set a simple dietary plan. Don't "diet": Change the way you eat and live. Atkins will not give you the energy you need to maintain even the most basic of fitness routines.

Are you looking to lose an arbitrary amount of "weight", or do you want to burn excess body fat and be healthy/fit/good-looking?

Pick up P90X and the book "The Abs Diet". Get healthy for real, not according to the scale.

Side note: Atkins disciples always look sickly to me...like vegetarians.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:20:19 AM EDT
You will lose a bunch of weight at first, but it is water weight, and some fat. Then the weight loss will be more gradual. Just eat meat, and veggies (No grain, beans, or potatoes) for breakfast. I eat a Paleo diet, better strategy IMO. Tons of recipes online. Just watch your total carbs for the day and try to keep it under 50grams. An occasional piece of fruit won't kill ya, but I'd rather go for a cup of milk or plain yogurt if I'm gonna get some carbs, (mixed with protein powder and peanut butter for breakfast. Only 10g of carbs, 42g protein, 7g fat). Cook tons of meat, eat leftovers for breakfast. Cut up leftover chicken or beef, stir fry with veggies. Don't think of things as breakfast food specifically. Your body doesn't know what time of day it is. Do some sort of resistance training, or youll lose muscle too.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:21:40 AM EDT
Reducing carbohydrate consumption will decrease the amount of glycogen stored in your muscles and liver. A lot of that is made up of water. This is why you are seeing a big loss in the beginning. Expect your rate to decrease shortly. Expecting to lose more than 2lbs per week is expecting too much.

As someone who has already lost 40lbs I can tell you it will be easier if you don't restrict yourself so much and just focus on eating at a caloric deficit. Giving up pasta, bread and other food that you enjoy is a recipe for failure and even if you are successful you risk gaining it all back when you come off your diet. You have to learn to change the way you eat and how much you eat not just make a temporary change.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:26:58 AM EDT
What he said. ^^^^

Learning to eat healthy and changing your lifestyle as it pertains to food will help you lose weight and keep it off. Combine that with exercise and you can't go wrong.

You don't need Atkins, you simply need to burn more calories than you consume over a given time span, usually calculated in a 24 hour period. Carbs are not the enemy, too many calories is the enemy.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:28:52 AM EDT
Be careful of the Gout.

Seriously. My neighbor got septic gout from eating tons of clams, shrimp and lobster on the atkins thing.
Gout pain is horrible. I cant imagine having it all over my body like he did. I had my toe blow up once from it and it is wicked!!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:31:18 AM EDT
diets are shit....if you are really serious about losing weight and want to do something and pay money then join weight watchers.. they promote portion control and eating healthier vs not eating which is why most diets ride the fail boat.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:32:42 AM EDT
Atkins threads go over like a fart in church here. Id ignore 90% of the responses you receive in this thread.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:36:49 AM EDT
Thanks doods.

I havent really lost much energy at all, this diet is definitely healthier than the way I was eating before.

My good friend lost 67 lbs in 9 months on this diet, he was 6-2 307 and is now 240lbs so he wasnt some 5-9 450lb morbidly obese guy with tons to loose easy. He looks great and had no adverse effects. He never grew tired of the egg routine so he had zero suggestions for me.

Ive read of some tremendous weight losses and fast on this diet with weekly pic diaries and testimonials from people not pushing any product so I know it works.

Just lookin to mix it up a little, the protein yogurt peanut butter thing sounds great, I'll give it a run.

I plan on slowly reintroducing carbs around month 4 and setting a permanent cap of 50g for the foreseeable future.

Any more suggestions are def welcome.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:36:57 AM EDT
How can you get tired of bacon and eggs?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:40:18 AM EDT
Hi protein, lo/no carb does work for a bit, but gets rather boring. I prefer a balanced diet, eating no more than 1,600 calories per day, cardio 4-5x week + weights 2-3x week, nothing heavy after 7pm. Always get some good protein for breakfast as it takes longer to digest; I prefer 2 eggs in the morning. I've got an easy egg recipe where I break 2 eggs into a large coffee mug & toss it into the microwave for 3 minutes on power level 5...comes out a perfect scramble for the drive to work
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:42:50 AM EDT
Originally Posted By evo462:
Atkins threads go over like a fart in church here. Id ignore 90% of the responses you receive in this thread.

There's a reason for that and he's received nothing but sound health advice thus far.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:43:36 AM EDT
Originally Posted By WWDD:
Thanks doods.

I havent really lost much energy at all, this diet is definitely healthier than the way I was eating before.

My good friend lost 67 lbs in 9 months on this diet, he was 6-2 307 and is now 240lbs so he wasnt some 5-9 450lb morbidly obese guy with tons to loose easy. He looks great and had no adverse effects. He never grew tired of the egg routine so he had zero suggestions for me.

Ive read of some tremendous weight losses and fast on this diet with weekly pic diaries and testimonials from people not pushing any product so I know it works.

Just lookin to mix it up a little, the protein yogurt peanut butter thing sounds great, I'll give it a run.

I plan on slowly reintroducing carbs around month 4 and setting a permanent cap of 50g for the foreseeable future.

I don't see any mention of your workout routine...

What's your current height/weight?

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:43:37 AM EDT
I have been on a diet recently. This makes my 5th week. I just stopped eating junk and so much. I have not changed anything else, no exercise or anything, just don't put as much fuel in my body. I now eat a small salad for lunch wit lettuce, carrots, shredded cheese and bacon bits, no dressing as I don't like it anyway. This is how I've always eaten salads, so no big deal. For dinner I eat a grilled chicken salad or turkey sandwich or steak with plain baked potato and corn on the Cobb. May throw an apple, grapes, carrots, plums in here and there when I want a snack. Drink water all day and sometimes have a coke zero with dinner.

I've probably went from eating 3-4000 calories a day to around 1000-1500. First week I lost 8, next week 0, next week 7, next week 0, this week 3. Down 18# so far and have 9 more to go to hit my target of 200. Don't know if I'll keep going then or not.

I try not to eat anything that shows to have more than 200 calories per serving.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:44:28 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Evil_ATF:

There's a reason for that and he's received nothing but sound health advice thus far.

Yes, and the reason is most people talk out their ass.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:46:38 AM EDT
Yes, and the reason is most people talk out their ass.

Feel free to point out specifically how the OP has received unsound advice and/or false info about Atkins in this thread. I'm not above learning something new.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:47:02 AM EDT
Skip the fad shit and set a simple dietary plan. Don't "diet": Change the way you eat and live. Atkins will not give you the energy you need to maintain even the most basic of fitness routines.

Are you looking to lose an arbitrary amount of "weight", or do you want to burn excess body fat and be healthy/fit/good-looking?

Pick up P90X and the book "The Abs Diet". Get healthy for real, not according to the scale.

This. It's the difference between eathing healthy and dieting.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:50:55 AM EDT

Thanks doods.

Give it a few weeks. You're just burning off your glycogen reserves, and then will probably shift to muscle as a fuel source.

I'll bet a dollar that in 1-2 years, he'll gain at least 50% of it back. "Diets" Are not sustainable.

Just eat real, healthy foods.

THe less man has been involved with the making of said "Food", the better.

Find your BMI, and go from there. Implement some cardio 3-5x per week, and create a slight caloric deficit to lose 1-# per week. This is sustainable.

You need a lifestyle change.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:51:52 AM EDT
Originally Posted By bassackwards:

lol......I was thinking the same thing!

RG

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:52:52 AM EDT
I started at 6-1 262. Was in the gym 3-4 days a week from the age of 15, now 33 and quit the gym about 2 yrs ago bc of retarded work schedule.

Never been real fat, just always stocky and fairly large build from football and working out all those years, just morphed from muscle to fat in 2 years.

My lean weight was around 245 at 12% body fat. Im trying to get to around 220-225 and then hit the gym with a normal sound diet to bulk back up over the next few years.

To answer your question, no current workout routine but will be after this "cutting" phase.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:53:03 AM EDT
Cut out fast food, processed food, alcohol, caffeine, and sugar from your diet, along with food you know is fatty and bad for you. Start bike riding. Running/jogging is ok, but riding is easier on your body and still gives you a good workout.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:55:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2010 9:58:23 AM EDT by evo462]
For example....the gout comment. Getting "gout from Atkins" had nothing to do with Atkins and everything to do with being a dumbass. Then people are lead to believe low carb diets give you gout (or kidney stones, which I am sure if it hasnt been mentioned yet it will be soon) when in reality, theyre just "doing it wrong". Then you will get the comments like "well my brothers gfs unces cousin did Atkins, lost a bunch of weight, then put it all back on again"....well no shit, its a lifestyle modificatiom not a gimmick quick fix...if past threads are any indication, that is.

And your comment "fad shit" - putting your body into ketosis and cutting out foods that give your body an instant glucose rush isnt a fad, it is science. Can you still eat bread and crap like that and lose weight? Probably...but you wont do it nearly as fast or efficiently as if you cut out simple carbs.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:58:13 AM EDT
Originally Posted By bassackwards:

IIRC, that's the explanation of how the Atkins diet "works"-in controlled lab experiments it was determined that the dieters consumed less calories on the Atkins diet due to boredom with the limited food choice, and their actual weight loss pretty much corresponded to the 1lb/3500 calorie ratio.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:58:17 AM EDT
Well...best of luck to you then. I sincerely hope that you're one of the few who are able to make the transition from crash diet to proper nutrition without gaining the fat again.

If you used to work out a lot, as you mentioned, then you have to know that you're reeeeeeealllly fighting the power curve with your current weight loss plans.

While you're doing Atkins, I still recommend "The Abs Diet" book. It's full of good info and some great recipes, as well. IIRC, they also have a stand-alone expanded recipe book. You'll need the info when you make your transition.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:58:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2010 10:02:43 AM EDT by WhyTanFox]
Like Lox? Smoked salmon with a smear of cream cheese was a favorite. A small hand full of nuts works well, too. Myself, I never tired of scrambled eggs with a little meat or a slice of cheese thrown in.

Have you read the book? People that haven't read the book tend to think "I can eat all the fatty food I want", which is not true.

I was always an Atkins skeptic until I picked up his book, and how metabolism is more than just "calories in < calories out", that the types of food are important. I find it interesting that current research is finding that dietary cholesterol is not the same as blood cholesterol ("eggs aren't as bad as thought") and that simple carbohydrate (sugar –– and even zero-calorie sugar substitutes) consumption may have much more to do with the "obesity epidemic" than fat. Dr. Atkins was also a big proponent of exercise and vitamins.

-WhyTanFox,
who admittedly needs to eat less and exercise more.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:01:26 AM EDT
I have not done Atkins exactly although I know what it is from reading about it. What I have done is cut all bread, pasta, sugar and potatoes from my diet and all pre-prepared foods. I basically eat meat, dairy, eggs, vegetables, nuts and limited fruit. I started in January at 348 and right now I am at 288 on a bit of a plateau. I don't limit my vegetable intake I eat as much as I want. I don't count calories. I don't specifically count carbs but I do know what items in the things I eat are higher in carbs. I don't have a regular exercise routine as such but am pretty active outside of work (sedentary job) and with hunting season on coming I will be even more active.

I guess I am different than some in that the lack of variety in my diet does not bother me all that much. I can eat a couple eggs (I have chickens) everyday or eat the same things most days without getting overly bored.

If I cheat on my "diet" it is for one meal at most once a month or longer when we may eat out. I never pick at stuff or try a little of this or little of that I try to look at foods outside of what I normally eat as toxic.

There have been a few times when my energy levels are a little low but the majority of the time it is not an issue even when exerting myself. Weighing 60lbs less gives you so much more energy. The question for me is am I healthier now eating the way I do than I was 60 pounds ago. I can tell you that I feel so much better and for me right now that is enough.

I plan to keep this up for at least a year but I don't plan on ever going back to a high carb high sugar diet. Maybe a meal of pasta or some bread once or twice a week.

FWIW.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:07:13 AM EDT
I'm on it right now.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:08:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2010 10:08:29 AM EDT by WHITE_WOLFE]
I have had pretty good luck with South Beach, which is similar to Atkins in some ways.

I used to eat shredded wheat with vanilla Silk. Took me about a week to get used to the Silk.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:11:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2010 10:14:41 AM EDT by TPK0999]
Im on ketosis right now. I've lost a total of 3-4 lbs in a week. Probably a combo of water and fat lost. Consume shit tons of protein.

My meals

1. 3 eggs 2 yokes.
2. Protein shake
3. Tuna
4. Steak or chicken
5. Snack on Peanut butter or some left over meat
6. Protein shake

take multivitamins for the nutrients not obtained through meat. Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:12:41 AM EDT
Thanks doods.

As I said I have lost 40lbs and it has only been like 5 months. I started at 295lb and I am 5'11" so my before stats and progress over time is very similar to your friends. I have made no special restriction to my diet other than mostly cutting out foods that are obviously bad for you. I even lost the first 10-15 pound eating fast food just about every day as I slowly adapted to making more food myself and eating better for health reasons and not just fat loss.

I just wrote down everything I ate as accurately as I could so I could add up the calories and teach myself how much I should be eating. After a few months of that I got used to my new intake level and I was able to stop writing everything down and still lose comfortably. I don't feel like I am on a diet because I eat good food and I don't get tired of what I eat because I eat pretty much whatever I want minus the those things I know are just bad for me. Of course I had to give that kind of stuff up or replace them with healthier alternatives but I still treat myself with my vices on occasion to celebrate my progress.

Supplementing your change in diet with exercise will boost your results but diet is really 90% of fat loss. Get that under control to something you can maintain for the rest of your life and then worry about the exercise because no amount of exercise will make up for a poor diet.

You are eventually going to notice the lack of glycogen in your muscles. Your endurance and perceived energy will suffer.You are already struggling with the diet restrictions and it has only been 6 days. Do you really think you can keep this up for 4 months?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:20:21 AM EDT
...Can you still eat bread and crap like that and lose weight? Probably...but you wont do it nearly as fast or efficiently as if you cut out simple carbs.

You will if you are consuming the same amount of calories.

Carbohydrates are the easiest macronutrient to cut because you body only uses them for energy. Fats are needed for vitamin absorption and hormone production. Protein is needed for tissue maintenance. Carbohydrates cannot replace them in their roles but they can replace carbs in the role of energy. They just can't do it perfectly. Without significant carbohydrates your blood glucose will be low as will your muscle and liver glycogen stores. Anaerobic exercise will suffer.

So while carbs are the easiest macro to restrict to still maintain proper nutrition when on a cut you still need carbs. People that do no/super low carb diets long term tend to have liver problems duffer from muscle atrophy. A permanent lifestle change is needed but an Atkins like no/super low carb diet isn't the answer.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:27:25 AM EDT

Can you still eat bread and crap like that and lose weight?

Cut out white grains. If it's white, that means it's enriched and processed. White bread, white rice, etc cause an immediate glucose spike that makes the body want to store fat. Whole wheats, brown rice, etc, will raise insulin levels, but it's slower and less pronounced. Same goes for fruits and the like. It's all part of the glycemic index. Choose foods that are lower on the GI.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:33:36 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Eazy_E:

Can you still eat bread and crap like that and lose weight?

Cut out white grains. If it's white, that means it's enriched and processed. White bread, white rice, etc cause an immediate glucose spike that makes the body want to store fat. Whole wheats, brown rice, etc, will raise insulin levels, but it's slower and less pronounced. Same goes for fruits and the like. It's all part of the glycemic index. Choose foods that are lower on the GI.

The body naturally stores excess fuel as fat throughout the day. It doesn't matter if your surplus is due to an excess of carbohydrates(complex or simple), protein, or fat it all gets stored. When at a deficit the body then uses those reserves. All you need to do is focus on being at a deficit.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:35:31 AM EDT

+1 - Also a personal trainer is not a bad idea.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:35:59 AM EDT
For example....the gout comment. Getting "gout from Atkins" had nothing to do with Atkins and everything to do with being a dumbass. Then people are lead to believe low carb diets give you gout (or kidney stones, which I am sure if it hasnt been mentioned yet it will be soon) when in reality, theyre just "doing it wrong". Then you will get the comments like "well my brothers gfs unces cousin did Atkins, lost a bunch of weight, then put it all back on again"....well no shit, its a lifestyle modificatiom not a gimmick quick fix...if past threads are any indication, that is.

And your comment "fad shit" - putting your body into ketosis and cutting out foods that give your body an instant glucose rush isnt a fad, it is science. Can you still eat bread and crap like that and lose weight? Probably...but you wont do it nearly as fast or efficiently as if you cut out simple carbs.

I'll concede the gout comment...I must have missed that one. I don't buy into the "health risks" viewpoint of Atkins. I'm not a medical doctor, nor do I have a degree in nutrition. My knowledge comes from what I've read/studied on my own.

My problem with Atkins really isn't even with the program itself. It's more that I have a problem with the reasons most people choose to utilize it, seeing it as a magical fat-burning medium that's going to allow them to stuff their faces and still lose weight.

They're not looking to get fit and healthy...they're looking for a "magic bullet" that will allow them to "look good" with a perceived minimal investment on their part.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:40:57 AM EDT
I saw the results of my Uncle on South Beach and decided to go Atkins just before Easter.

Down from a few pounds over 200 to my typical adult weight of 170, I eat meat and veggies and do not eat rice/pasta/bread/sugar, and I feel very little "need" to cheat.

I also eat low carb tortillas on occasion, which are a godsend.

I don't overeat like I used to, I felt compelled to nom carbs b/c they're awesomely delicious, but now, I'm just kinda "meh, bread, whatever".

I've decided it's basically caloric reduction by alternate means.

Today I've eaten two Atkins "Mounds" bar and half a chicken salad from Chick-Fil-A, and I don't feel like I'm starving.

Also betting that puts me way under the caloric ceiling for the day, but finishing the salad and eating salmon for dinner should put me around 1200 calories or so.

Back to the OP: check out the Atkins Advantage bars, they should help.

Also, mix up your breakfast meats, I used regular bacon, turkey bacon, sausage patties, sausage links, turkey sausage links, beef, fajita chicken, whatever I could think of for variety.

Same goes for your style of eggs: scrambled, boiled, over easy, etc.

Use hot sauce or salsa and any other spices you can think of, and remember, anything with low/no sugar for diabetics is generally okay for Atkins in the later phases.

Also, don't forget quiche (although I did until just now), as long as you don't eat the crust you should be okay.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:54:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2010 11:06:19 AM EDT by evo462]

My problem with Atkins really isn't even with the program itself. It's more that I have a problem with the reasons most people choose to utilize it, seeing it as a magical fat-burning medium that's going to allow them to stuff their faces and still lose weight.

They're not looking to get fit and healthy...they're looking for a "magic bullet" that will allow them to "look good" with a perceived minimal investment on their part.

Thats a problem with dieters in general more so than a particular diet itself...all diets fail if you revert to yourpast ways - in my experience following a low carb diet (the right way) does offer nearly "magical" fat burning results, which perhaps lends itself to abuse.

When done right, you do lose weight fast and over time, you do transition back to eating more carbs - its not a meat only diet forever, though the final maintenance stage by nature will cut out most of the stuff that got you fat in the first place.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:55:03 AM EDT
I started at 6-1 262. Was in the gym 3-4 days a week from the age of 15, now 33 and quit the gym about 2 yrs ago bc of retarded work schedule.

Never been real fat, just always stocky and fairly large build from football and working out all those years, just morphed from muscle to fat in 2 years.

My lean weight was around 245 at 12% body fat. Im trying to get to around 220-225 and then hit the gym with a normal sound diet to bulk back up over the next few years.

To answer your question, no current workout routine but will be after this "cutting" phase.

tha fuck?

245@12%bf just 2 years ago? dude you dont need any kind of fad diet like atkins. with your genetics just start eating healthy and get some exercise.
Top Top