Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2001 9:09:58 AM EDT
I have a suspicion that some of the recent anthrax scares have been done by "McVeigh-types".

If this is so, what would be their reasons?

Link Posted: 10/15/2001 9:16:18 AM EDT
[#1]
It's possible.

You got to wonder.
Why are these people attacking liberals?
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 9:20:34 AM EDT
[#2]
The terror brings on a more oppressive and restrictive society.  Then they can say: "See? We told you the government was evil...we warned you about Martial Law..."

These are not patriots, they're traitors.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 9:37:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a suspicion that some of the recent anthrax scares have been done by "McVeigh-types".
View Quote

By "anthrax scares", I presume you mean attempts to frighten people with harmless white powders instead of actual mailings of weaponized anthrax, right?

I don't know if many of them are "McVeigh-types" with political grudges.  They're more likely to be the same sort of people who phone in phony bomb threats -- malicious pranksters who crave the thrill of causing trouble but are afraid of the consequences of actually hurting someone.  

Then again, it would be a shame to miss a chance to blame those bad, bad militia people for something... [;)]
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 9:42:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm not talking about the powder, I mean real Anthrax.

And by "McVeigh-types" I mean guys like McVeigh or the one who was caught with the stuff, not average militia types.

Who wants to bet that the stuff that was sent to the times, NBC and Daschle was by a domestic enemy?
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 9:44:20 AM EDT
[#5]
The only non-middle east reference to Anthrax I can remember was some older guy with a beard who conspired to possess it, like, a year or two ago.  IIRC he had some white supremacist ties.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 9:46:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Isn't "white supremacist ties" how the media describes any right-wing militia-type?
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 9:48:46 AM EDT
[#7]
With the press coverage that always follows a reporting of certain anti-social actions, there always seems to be "copy-cat" events.  I beleive these are copy-cat type events from local "loonies".  Just my $0.02.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 9:51:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Do "copy-cat loonies" have Anthrax spores sitting in their closets?
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 9:53:01 AM EDT
[#9]
The powder, just plain powder type mailings!
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 9:56:57 AM EDT
[#10]
(Powder?)Oh yeah, they're just kooks.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 10:00:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Does anybody recall any more detail on the one I posted on?  I stated "whire supremacist" because that is how he was portrayed, that is what I remember, and I had no reason to do any independant fact gathering on him.  Maybe someone else did?  Do you recall, MM?  
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 10:06:39 AM EDT
[#12]
I'll search...
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 10:09:48 AM EDT
[#13]
The only non-middle east reference to Anthrax I can remember was some older guy with a beard who conspired to possess it, like, a year or two ago. IIRC he had some white supremacist ties.
View Quote

Was that the guy in Ohio?  Here's a link to a news story on him:
[url]http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/special/1998/mar/03/506905199.html[/url]
According to the story, he had some veterinary vaccine, not any spores or bacteria that could be used to spread the disease.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 10:10:16 AM EDT
[#14]
here:
[url]http://www.inet-one.com/cypherpunks/dir.1998.02.23-1998.03.01/msg00054.html[/url]
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 10:31:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Tim Tobiason, I'm telling you all. This has "right-wing-extremist" opportunist written all over it. Why would a bunch of diaper wearing religious freaks half a world away give a sandy sh!t about media types here?

Didn't I start a thread about Tim "the anthrax manual man" Tobiason before all the poisonings started? no one cared. He's locked up or "neutralized" somewhere I'll bet anything.

btw, I have some of his crazy writings in a pdf file that someone sent me, if someone will host it you all can see it. It's 4mb and my uplink has been downgraded to 128kilobit so I shut down my server.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 10:40:19 AM EDT
[#16]
took the name from those articles and fed it to Google.  got these:
[url]http://www.usnews.com/usnews/news/chemhar.htm[/url]

[url]http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/plague/etc-END Of Script Attempt-
.html[/url]

[url]http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/EID/vol5no4/pdf/stern.pdf[/url]
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 11:18:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 1:03:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Report: Iraq Behind Anthrax Attacks

NewsMax.com Wires
Monday, Oct. 15, 2001

Britain's Guardian newspaper reported Sunday that American investigators probing anthrax outbreaks in Florida and New York believe they have all the hallmarks of a terrorist attack -- and have named Iraq as the prime suspect as the source of the deadly spores.

The Guardian notes that in liquid form, anthrax is useless - droplets would fall to the ground, rather than staying suspended in the air to be breathed by victims.

"Making powder needs repeated washings in huge centrifuges, followed by intensive drying, which requires sealed environments.

The technology would cost millions."

The London paper quoting CIA sources as saying that "Iraq has the technology and supplies of anthrax suitable for terrorist use."

One CIA source told the paper: "They aren't making this stuff in caves in Afghanistan.

This is prima facie evidence of the involvement of a state intelligence agency.
Maybe Iran has the capability. But it doesn't look likely politically.
That leaves Iraq."

[b]American officials have already revealed that anthrax bacteria used in the recent attacks is the "Ames strain" of anthrax originally cultivated at Iowa State University in the 1950s. Iraq is believed to have that strain. [/b]

Other sources indicate that al Qaeda members picked up vials of anthrax powder in the Czech Republic.
[b]
CIA sources believe that terrorist ring leader Mohamed Atta met with Iraqi intelligence officials twice in Prague, with the last meeting this past spring.[/b]

Already there are indications that Iraq may be part of the new war's "second phase." The first phase is under way: Closing down Taliban and al Qaeda operations in Afghanistan.
The Guardian reports that former CIA Director Jim Woolsey has recently visited London on behalf of the U.S. Defense Department to "firm up" other evidence of Iraqi involvement in the Sept. 11 attacks.    

View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top