Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2006 6:27:33 PM EDT
I have a new PC (AOpen EX761) NIB that I hve been learning is a bit of a dead end due to the socket.  I can return the thing if I wish.  I like the looks and the size,  and it will mostly be doing Photoshopping with some games tossed in, pron and ARFCom, Windows XP.  I will also be getting a new PCI Express video card as some point.  Would I be better off springing for the socket 939, or keeping the 754 and getting the most processor I can afford?  I upgrade every 3 years or so.
Thanks,
Matthew

ETA:  Thanks, I'g going to wait a bit.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:50:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, very much a dead end.  Socket 939 is a dead end pretty much also, AMD is very close to releasing their new socket type (might have been released allready, I havent checked).

939 gives you MUCH more and better upgrade options.  I would get the 939, if I were you.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:58:13 PM EDT
[#2]
It really depends on what you want/need.

Yes, it's a dead end, but processor speeds are so ridiculous anymore that it's almost pointless to even worry about it, unless you're pretty hardcore into computer gaming.

FWIW my main machine is a Sempron 3000 on a Socket 754 ASUS board.  Don't really see much reason to upgrade anytime soon, either. *shrug*
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:27:14 AM EDT
[#3]
my gaming system is a socket 754  3k+   1.5gb of ram and 160GB sata I HD.   it does me just fine.  bf2 runs flawlessly

in a year i will most likely upgrade the system rather than just upgrade the processor.    the socked 754 goes up to a 3700+ chip.  its not like its slower or anything

computers change in speed so fast.     so if you find a good deal on a 754 board, go ahead and get it.  

EDIT

the 754 atually has 4k+  processor out link to OEM chip

I normally don't buy oem because of warranty.   but processors rarely go bad
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top