Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2005 6:32:19 AM EDT
Maybe this is newbie question, but I recently rebuilt my home system, and installed an Athlon XP 2800+ (the motherboard  has a 333MGz FSB). When I first turned on the system, the BIOS correctly identifed the CPU as a 2800 Athlon, but subsequent starts (I don't know how soon, but maybe it was after the first try) now identify the CPU as having a frequency of 1.25 GHz. The 2800+ should run at 2.25 GHz.

The BIOS reports that the CPU has a Vcore voltage of 1.60V, and is running at about 50 degrees C. Any ideas about what could be causing this? Is that temperature correct for this CPU, or should it run hotter? I'm reluctant to overclock it, since I don't know what the safe temperature range is (I saw online that 85 is the maximum, but don't know what is safe).  The computer runs fine, but it bothers me that I'm not getting what I paid for.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:35:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Go into the bios and select defaults, that should get you back to 'normal' operation or at least one would hope.

Another option is to go to Here and ask for some help.  They should get you going properly...
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:44:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks! I had forgotten that I loaded the "fail-safe defaults" in the BIOS, and was running things "safe". I now loaded the defaults, and runs at the full speed now.

Damn I love ARFCOM (and "7")!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top