Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2003 2:49:57 AM EDT
The AWB goes down in September.  Bush wants re-elected in November.  He and the rest of the Republicans better not fuck this up, cuz if they do...
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 3:00:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I wish it were that easy.
Backed by several state anti-gun activists, Eric Fingerhut is unveiling legislation to prohibit the manufacture, sale, possession and ownership of certain types of semi-automatic pistols and rifles.
The Ohio bill is hailed as an "improvement" over the existing federal ban.
See if this one flies, they just keep comin' at ya! [pissed]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:22:15 AM EDT
[#2]
That's why the AWB had better go down.  I hope Dean is the Democrat nominee, because if it is renewed, vote GWB right out.  Dean won't be much different, but a lesson will be learned.  Unfortunately the politicians only respond to pressure groups and power blocs.  Maybe they need to re-learn that they are our servants, not our leaders.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:41:48 AM EDT
[#3]
That's crazy. Dean in there would be like the second coming of the Clintons!
Democrats, by association, bring in all kinds of gun grabbing vermin.
It makes no sense in trying to punish the Republicans by bringing in a worse alternative.
Believe me I don't trust either group all that much, but Dean would be worse.
He has those crazy eyes that mental patients have.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:24:04 AM EDT
[#4]
any dem is worse
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:33:12 AM EDT
[#5]
With the number of shootings on the rise (suspicious, hmmm thats odd), firearms will be an election issue.

Guess where Bush stands?

Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:37:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
any dem is worse
View Quote

I agree with you, BUT...

If GWB were more Conservative on other issues, then perhaps this wouldn't be such a big concern. However, he has hardly been Conservative in his domestic agenda, and while his performance after 9/11 and partaining to leadership and the war has been awesome, I fear that enough Conservatives are sufficiently miffed at him that a renewal of the AWB will be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Had he clamped down on the borders, armed pilots, not done the Medicaire thing (as I understand it, anyway), not done the education thing, etc., he would have a much stronger base.

I don't know what political strategy they are following, but they have shown to be pretty smart at it, and I imagine they know that the gun issue is DAMNED touchy all alone. Combine it with the liberal domestic agenda we have already seen... [shrug]

We'll see, I suppose. Either way, the best way to avoid GWB having to decide is to ensure the Congress never lets it through. You'd think that if it passed by such a narrow margin when the democrats had a serious majority, that it would stand little chance now. Then again, we're talking politicians, who are above only lawyers, journalists, and other criminals...
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:42:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
With the number of shootings on the rise (suspicious, hmmm thats odd), firearms will be an election issue.

Guess where Bush stands?

View Quote

Bush stands any where it will get his ass reelected. Short of a major school shooting/us sitting around with our ass's in our hands. AWB IS DEAD AS DILLINGER. The rest of the wienies don't have a war on terror to stand behind,it[AWB] will not get any where in congress.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:44:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I am a "single issue" voter.  Republicans... Democrats...  Neither of them do much for me.  

If Bush signs a renewal for the AWB (or anything like it), my vote will go to Dean.

Simple as that.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:24:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I am a "single issue" voter.  Republicans... Democrats...  Neither of them do much for me.  

If Bush signs a renewal for the AWB (or anything like it), my vote will go to...

Simple as that.
View Quote

Me too.  If the Republicans fuck this up, I'm gone.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:42:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That's why the AWB had better go down.  I hope Dean is the Democrat nominee, because if it is renewed, vote GWB right out.  Dean won't be much different, but a lesson will be learned.  Unfortunately the politicians only respond to pressure groups and power blocs.  Maybe they need to re-learn that they are our servants, not our leaders.
View Quote

Sorry, price too high...

When you're on a 4mo list for a doctor's appointment through the new 'National Health System'...

When your taxes quadruple to finance the above...

When the US coddles the EU because 'it's the nice thing to do'...

You can be glad you voted Dean in because Bush did something that Dean or Gore would have done anyway...

Moot, though... It will never see his desk...
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:49:33 PM EDT
[#11]
So, has a single one of the AWB renewel/replacement bills even had a comittee hearing yet?
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:51:42 PM EDT
[#12]
If your gonna protest vote VOTE GREEEN PARTY.

CRC
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:54:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So, has a single one of the AWB renewel/replacement bills even had a comittee hearing yet?
View Quote
NO]

The House said the Senate has to pass it first before they would even consider it.

CRC
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:54:33 PM EDT
[#14]
No! Listen people, vote Libertarian.  They not only respect your gun rights, they UNDERSTAND how important they are.  Check out badnarik.org (I think).  He has a page on the 2nd ammendment and how ain't nobody comin' for his guns!

I know he won't win, but the Libertarian party--most people don't realize--is the 3rd largest party in the country.  They were on the ballot in all 50 states last time around.  If enough people punish Bush and enough people start voting their concience, then we can get that critical mass (good numbers) that we need to show that 3rd parties stand a chance -- that way they will be a viable alternative in 2008 to Hillary .. Lord knows we need it then.  Don't forget -- if Ross Perot hadn't quit then come back, he might've won -- 3rd party candidates HAVE A CHANCE.

VOTE LIBERTARIAN NEXT YEAR so that others may follow your example in 2008.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:57:35 PM EDT
[#15]
And in response to whomever mentioned it:  great idea, to vote 3rd party.  However, the Greens will TAKE AWAY YOUR GUNS.  They are so far left it's not even funny.

Again though, I applaud you for voting your concience, whatever it is.

All the best,
James
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:02:19 PM EDT
[#16]
All this is assuming that conservative voters even remember what happened the month before.  I hate to say it, but I don't trust the American people's attention span, or memory, as far as I can throw it.  I often say that I would love to see the filing deadline for income taxes changed to November 1st.  But, I'm not confident that folks would even remember that far back when it came time to vote later in the week.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:03:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
NO]

The House said the Senate has to pass it first before they would even consider it.

CRC
View Quote

So then why do people keep bringing this up? Are they trolling? The likelyhood of that happening between now and next september is zero.

After september its too late. Millions of new guns and magazines will be sold in the first few months, and the rate will only increase if there is even a hint of a new bill coming up.

And that will make any NEW bill worthless. This is their last chance, make it perminent by September 04' or it will vanish for good, just like prohibition did before it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:26:42 PM EDT
[#18]
They keep bringing it up because they are as worried as hell about it.

Whatever guy gets in office, we have to choose the lesser of the two evils. There is no 'clear' victory for us.

Not now, not ever.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:41:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If your gonna protest vote VOTE GREEEN PARTY.

CRC
View Quote

You mean the Watermelon Party- green on the outside, red on the inside? No f****** chance in hell, not even as a protest. I'd sooner be the only heterosexual male on a Greek freighter....[:D][shock]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:45:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
NO]

CRC
View Quote

So then why do people keep bringing this up? Are they trolling? The likelyhood of that happening between now and next september is zero.

After september its too late. Millions of new guns and magazines will be sold in the first few months, and the rate will only increase if there is even a hint of a new bill coming up.

And that will make any NEW bill worthless. This is their last chance, make it perminent by September 04' or it will vanish for good, just like prohibition did before it.
View Quote

Because GWB could force Frist to call for a vote on S 1034.

That is a possibility and it's possible it could pass the Senate.

Then it would go onto the House where Denny Hastert is reluctant to deal with it but GWB might pressure him too.

CRC
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 8:03:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Right now, I’m leaning towards Libertarian; I will NEVER vote for Bush because of his whole Patriot Act/Big Brother/Police State stuff. However, if Bush does sign the AWB renewal, I will be so PO’ed that I’ll vote for Dean, not because I want Dean to win, but because I would want Bush to lose more than anything.

Edited to add: I have nothing against Republicans in general; if I recall correctly, ALL of the candidates I voted for in ’02 were Republicans.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 9:25:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The AWB goes down in September.  Bush wants re-elected in November.  He and the rest of the Republicans better not fuck this up, cuz if they do...
View Quote

93% of the schmoes who read this, will vote for 'em anyway.

They're the "lessor of two evils"!!  [ROFL2]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 10:18:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
When you're on a 4mo list for a doctor's appointment through the new 'National Health System'...

When your taxes quadruple to finance the above...

When the US coddles the EU because 'it's the nice thing to do'...

You can be glad you voted Dean in because Bush did something that Dean or Gore would have done anyway...
View Quote

That pretty much sums it up. Do you want the AWB, or do you want the AWB *plus*:

1. A humiliating retreat from Afghanistan and Iraq before the job is done,

2. Aggressive agendas to promote homosexuality, scholastic mediocrity and preferential treatment based on racial minority status,

3. A government that uses arbitrary safety, fuel economy and ecological doctrines to determine which car or truck you will be able to buy,

...and so on.

The AWB is important, but it's not the only thing that's important.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 10:29:00 PM EDT
[#24]
I’ll continue to vote for a party that will repeal all gun control laws; The Libertarians.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 12:26:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I’ll continue to vote for a party that will repeal all gun control laws; The Libertarians.
View Quote

That is my stand...Along with the P.A. I have had it with the Republicrats!

The lesser of two Evils is still Evil...

From now on Libertarian!.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top