Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2001 4:56:30 AM EDT
Now, I am not saying anything is biased with the trib, but when I come down to the pit on Sunday, I will have this guy beat.  One "assualt rifle"?  Shit, I am going to have a couple.  Ammo?
Going to have enough ammo to start a small rebellion in my little car's trunk.  The car will be riding low down there, and real light comming back!! [;)]
G & B, Anti, and AFARR will have me beat!!  Those guys would make the TV news for sure. [;)]
Now, he did not have a FOID, cause it was revoked.  Thing is, what type of assualt rifle did he have?  I cannot find anything on it.  It could be a 10/22, not sure.  Please help me find out.

How arrest went wrong
Shooting details emerge as cop struggles for life

By Cam Simpson and Matt O'Connor, Tribune staff reporters. Tribune staff reporters Matthew Walberg, Shia Kapos, Alex Rodriguez, Rick Hepp and Aamer Madhani contributed to this report
Published August 30, 2001

Just hours before a federal task force tried to arrest Daniel M. Salley on an armed bank robbery charge Tuesday, his mother told agents her son's "mind slipped" in recent weeks.

Agents also had reason to believe Salley, now accused of shooting a Chicago police officer, was ready for a fight. At the mother's home, the FBI said, they found an empty gun case, gas masks and a sales receipt for ammunition.

They also knew Salley had a violent past, including an alleged threat to shoot two of his children.

As the agents drew up a plan to capture Salley at the South Loop apartment of his girlfriend, Joseph M. Airhart Jr., a veteran Chicago police detective, volunteered to take the lead, police said. Airhart knocked on the door of Apartment 301 and said he had mail for Salley.

Airhart was shot in the head seconds after that door opened. As he continued to fight for his life Wednesday at Northwestern Memorial Hospital, authorities searched for answers about how an arrest strategy that comes off without a hitch most times went so terribly wrong Tuesday. Their early answer: Even textbook tactics, carried out by experienced officers, can go bad when a suspect is eager for battle.

New details of the shooting emerged Wednesday in interviews and court records, including an exchange between the detective and the suspect.

Airhart, dressed in street clothes, had followed Salley as he ran into the apartment and fellow officers reported Airhart said, "You don't want to do that" seconds before the gun battle erupted.

The FBI also said Salley had stockpiled an assault rifle, a second long gun, a shotgun, at least two large-caliber revolvers, thousands of rounds of ammunition, shotgun shells, pepper spray and night-vision goggles.

Airhart underwent three hours of surgery Wednesday morning to remove a blood clot in his brain. He was in critical but stable condition late Wednesday.

"The next 24 hours will be critical to his survival," said Dr. Hunt Batjer, chief of neurological surgery at Northwestern. "There are immediate threats to his life. That's our focus."

Link Posted: 8/30/2001 5:11:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Documents released Wednesday show the search for Salley began near dawn Tuesday.

The 41-year-old father of six was accused in a federal complaint with the armed robbery of $239,000 at a supermarket bank branch Friday.

After a witness followed the robber and called police with his license plate number, federal agents said they traced the stolen vehicle to Salley and went to a bungalow owned by his mother at 9220 S. Dauphin Ave.

Agents found the empty gun case and other items inside, the FBI said in an affidavit.

They also questioned Salley's mother, Estella Salley. "She stated she was concerned about Salley because it seemed his `mind slipped,' the FBI said. And they found a key clue: a letter from Salley's girlfriend that bore the address 1307 S. Wabash, Apt. 301, records show.

Agents converged at the apartment building, tenants let them in, and they found the vehicle allegedly stolen by Salley.

Roughly a dozen agents, including Airhart, 45, who was assigned earlier this year to the task force, assembled in the garage. By about 10 a.m., Airhart and four other law-enforcement officers took an elevator to the third floor, the FBI said.

Using his delivery ruse, the smooth-talking Airhart knocked on the door and spoke to Salley briefly, the FBI said. Then Airhart gave his backups a signal to head for the door.

Salley ran inside, turning out of sight from the front door, as Airhart chased him with the other officers following behind and announcing they were police, the FBI said.

Police say Salley, with a .45-caliber handgun in one hand and a .44-caliber in the other, opened fire after Airhart spoke one last time.

As Airhart fell to the floor, the backup officers opened fire but had to retreat out the door as Salley continued to shoot, the FBI said. They tried to re-enter, the FBI said, but were once again forced out by gunfire without Airhart. Salley then bolted the door.

An FBI sniper outside spotted Airhart facedown on the floor, with Salley, who had been shot four times, sitting next to him and waving a gun, the FBI said.

Salley allegedly told negotiators he could shoot the officer if he wanted to, and the standoff didn't end for more than two hours.

The FBI said Salley admitted shooting Airhart during the ambulance ride and at the hospital. His motive, the FBI said, was that an IRS dispute had threatened his livelihood. He also asked why the federal government sent a "cop" to do its "dirty work," according to court records.

FBI supervisors from Washington were still conducting an inquiry into Airhart's shooting and the standoff Wednesday. But experts in police tactics said the team did everything by the book.
"The ruse was used to determine if [Salley] was there," said Chicago Police Chief of Detectives Phil Cline. "It's unfortunate, but bad guys don't play by the rules. He did something wrong--not them."
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 5:12:04 AM EDT
[#2]

Chuck Wexler, executive director of the Police Executive Research Forum in Washington, D.C., said the ruse is a standard procedure employed by every law-enforcement agency in the country--one that has succeeded thousands of times. "What they were attempting to do was to find the least intrusive way to get this guy out or contain him inside," Wexler said. "God knows, the last thing police officers want to do is put each other, or the public, in harm's way.

Wexler also said negotiating a way out of the standoff is difficult for police when a comrade is down and being held hostage, but it is always the right call. "The days of busting down a door when someone has a hostage are long over," he said.

Airhart's former partner, Lenny Bajenski, described Airhart, who is divorced with no children, as tough and strong.

"When I was buying [as an undercover officer] in narcotics with no gun and no star, I never had a fear, because I knew Joe was there. Joe was my safety vest," Bajenski said. "I really don't have time right now to be upset. Right now I've got to put all my energy to getting Joe back on his feet, and he will be."

Family members and friends portrayed Salley as a man with a history of emotional problems who had finally snapped, sporting military-style camouflage garb from head to toe for about a week of sleepless nights before the shooting.

Salley was in serious condition late Wednesday at Cook County Hospital.

Officials said Salley slipped through the cracks of the Cook County court system, never receiving mental health treatment ordered by a judge after an assault conviction last year. Gale Paradise, a spokeswoman for the probation department, said her office was launching an investigation.

Copyright © 2001, Chicago Tribune

Link Posted: 8/30/2001 5:15:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Probably a 10/22 with a couple bricks of ammo. Actually the rifle could have been any type if it was used to assault the officer, right? If I beat my neighbor in the head with my pellet rifle, is that not an "assault rifle?"
I hope the police officer pulls through on this.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 6:24:32 AM EDT
[#4]
It's unfortunate, but bad guys don't play by the rules.
View Quote

I wish these idiots would apply this type of thinking when it comes to gun laws and leave the rest of us alone.

c-rock, do you have a link to this story?

Link Posted: 8/30/2001 6:32:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I just got the page from www.chicagotribune.com
its on the front page right now.
c-rock
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:36:30 AM EDT
[#6]
This is the e-mail I sent to the newspaper's public editor, , Don Wycliff at

[email protected]

Mr. Wycliff,
    I just read online the article by Cam Simpson and Matt O'Connor about the shooting of Detective Airhart by Daniel Salley.  First, let me say that I hope and pray that Detective Airhart survives and recovers completely.  I also believe that Mr. Salley should be shown absolutely no mercy even if Detective Airhart survives.

I did read one thing that was very annoying from my perspective.   The so called 'assault rifle' that they found, what exactly was it?  I have seen everything from shotguns to BB guns called assault rifles by the police and by the media for the purpose of sensationalism and to scare the public into thinking that those who own semiautomatic rifles are lunatics.  The Clinton adminstration has falsely and purposely labeled semiautomatic rifles such as AR15's and civilian AK47's as 'assault rifles' to mislead the public.  An assault rifle, by definition, must be capable of selective fire, of which none of the rifles affected by the 1994 'Crime Bill' are.  Fully automatic weapons are already covered stringently by the National Firearms Act from the 1930's which places a lot of obstacles in the way of legally owning a fully automatic firearm of any kind.  There has been one murder using a legally owned full auto since 1937 and that was by an off duty police officer.  The AR15 type of rifle is by no means the criminals choice of weapons as they are very expensive and hard to conceal.  They are not, as one gun control fanatic (I am resorting to their tactics with the name calling) said, "weapons attractive to criminals".  I cannot find where an AR15 type of rifle has been used in a crime.  Bad guys usually use handguns and illegally sawed off shotguns.  This entire 'assault weapons' hysteria is just that, hysteria, and nothing else.

Also the statement by Chief of Detective Cline was very interesting:

"It's unfortunate, but bad guys don't play by the rules"

This is what law abiding gun owners have been saying for years, that the gun control laws only disarm them, not the bad guys, and this case points that out very well.  We have a man with an assault conviction and was ordered to obtain mental treatment who cannot legally own a firearm of any kind.

"Officials said Salley slipped through the cracks of the Cook County court system, never receiving mental health treatment ordered by a judge after an assault conviction last year."

Lot of good the gun control laws in Chicago did because "It's unfortunate, but bad guys don't play by the rules".   The result of your gun control laws in Chicago are that only police officers and criminals are allowed to carry guns.  That may not be exactly what it says, but that is the end result.  Instead of arresting convicted felons for illegally carrying a gun or , for that matter, even owning one, the Chicago police and other similar city police departments are too busy busting otherwise law abiding citizens who just want to protect themselves.  It is no coincidence that the cities with the toughest gun control laws are the one's with the most crime because the bad guys know that their law abiding victims are not armed in those places and the laws have created a target rich environment for the criminals.

I do want to know EXACTLY what kind of rifle it was that they found in Mr. Salley's hideout
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:51:11 AM EDT
[#7]
LARRYG....well said.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 8:24:21 AM EDT
[#8]
was it a real 'assault weapon' or just a semi-auto military replica?
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 11:21:52 AM EDT
[#9]
IF I have read this correctly, I hope the cop fucking dies.  It would would be fine justice for allowing himself to be used as an pawn of the federal government.  He had no business helping the IRS or the FBI do its dirty work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top