Quoted:
[url]http://assaultweb.net/ubb/Forum31/HTML/000385.html[/url]
View Quote

linked YO!
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 8:14:58 PM EDT
[#2]
col. steve was running a clandestine radio
station on 6900khz USB. He was always trying
to unite the militia groups across the country.

Gov't has wanted his ass for a while now.

He was always spouting off that where he was
was sovereign terrority that was not under Federal or state law. That he had people
hidden in the surrounding area ready to smoke anyone
that came after him.

I just tuned into his broadcast on occasion
for the entertainment value.

Hmmm. Maybe the Gov't felt with the current
crisis it be best to cleanup potential 'internal' trouble spots ?

Weird though seeing this pop up.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 8:15:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Thrown out of the militia! *LOL*
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 8:35:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I've spent a little bit of time over there, and it really wasn't my cup of tea.

I would like to say that I'm surprised that an Assaultweb member would shoot at a cop..., but to tell the truth, I'm not surprised one bit.

Some great folks there, but also some not-so-good folks.

Now let the tinfoil-hat theories begin!
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 8:36:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm mostly a lurker here and never really even been to AW before but this incident happened about 2 blocks from my house. I know of Scott (the deputy who tried to him pull over) he's a good guy. He asked the man for his license and the guy replied that he was patroling for the Ky Militia and shot at Scott when he asked again. The man had no business patroling anything since he had been kicked out of the Ky militia earlier anyway. Anywho, I listened to it on the scanner all night and when I left for work this morning the State Police had about 12 cruisers parked down the street and were looking for him. The AP report said they found pipe bombs in the truck, but i ain't heard anything like that personally, the only thing I heard he had with him was a beautiful AR. When I got home tonight the cruisers were gone. Contrary to someone's opinion on AW there were no BATF involved (yet), mostly deputies and KSP, although I think they had made a couple calls for some support.

Here's hoping it ends without a shootout, that would look bad for us all. I really don't care whether he gets away or turns himself either one but the Deputy was in the right on this one. There's no talk on the scanner at the moment and I haven't heard any gunshots from Samm's Mtn yet...no news is good news i guess.

And another thing, the guy was from Somerset which is about 3hrs from here, wonder wtf he was doing down here on the border, I dunno how he made down the interstate without a State boy noticing the tail light. I just don't like either one of them this close to my house (him and the ksp).
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 8:47:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Diesel,
Thank you for the local report.

Shooter,
He was thrown out of the KSM becuase his racist christian identity movement rantings were giving the KSM a bad name. Steve is/was one of those people that believes modern Jews are direct decendants of Satan and european whites are gods chosen people. I hope he eats his gun.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 8:49:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Here's hoping it ends without a shootout, that would look bad for us all.

View Quote

Yup. The media doesn't really need to put much spin to it. Except the addition of a pipe bomb. This looks bad. What the hell is he doing shooting at a cop for a broken tail light for? WTF. When does getting a ticket merit a SHTF scenario response. Senseless if you ask me.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 8:50:20 PM EDT
[#8]
He may have been kicked out of the KY militia, but if they catch his ass, his cellmates will show him the new meaning of K.Y.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 8:57:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Yea, I'll leave the scanner on as I look up at the mtn I can't see any lights. I'm betting he's long gone by now. It's all mountains in the SE KY, SW Va area and a man could take off on foot where no one can get to. It justs riles me up that the guy on AW is posting that Scott would plant evidence in the truck.

If the rumors about the black rifle he has are true, i kinda wish he would throw it down the mtn to my yard before he takes off [:)]
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 8:58:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
He may have been kicked out of the KY militia, but if they catch his ass, his cellmates will show him the new meaning of K.Y.
View Quote

This doesn't seem like the kind of fella that is well-balanced enough to say, "shit, sorry I shot at ya, here let me give myself up..."

Looks to me that this guy was trying to invent his own personal SHTF scenario.  As if we don't have enough enemies right now, why would he feel the need to make up imaginary ones?

My hope is that the guy goes 'underground' and doesn't turn up again, because if he is found (or wants to be found) this is probably going to get ugly.  

At the very least, I hope that his internet preferences are not brought into it, otherwise he'll screw us all when you start seeing "internet assault weapons forum member in shootout with the police" headlines plastered all over the nightly news.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 9:01:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Lets see..take the beer-or take the pipe  bombs? OK take the beer.
Some other looney on the site said he might need help. Probably true. Only problem is none of the  chairborne rangers will help him. Oh, there's another problem, he dont need there hep, he needs professional hep.
LEO: "May I see your license sir?"
Looney militia guy: "I'm on patrol for the Kentucky miltia."
LEO: "Excuse me?"
LMG: "BANG"
LEO: (to himself)"FUCK, as if there isnt enough shit to deal with in this country now!!!!"
I hope they catch this useless fuck and nail him to the wall.
This not what anyone meant by militia!!!!!!
BP
BP
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 9:55:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Having spent alot of time in those same mountains (NC & TN), I can say for relative surety that unless he does something stupid. Yeah I know this whole situation was the result of doing something stupid, but unless he does something else and hides in the mountains the cops will never get him. There are enough backwoods, small footpaths, and mountains to have hidden Eric Rudolph for 6 Years and counting. And he was hiding from the FBI and ATF. This nut is just hiding from the KSP.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 4:27:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Any new updates?
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 7:46:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Assaultweb is a kook's hangout.  I used to enjoy posting over there when we could actually discuss something other than overthrowing our government... or shooting "JBT's" (their slang for Jack Booted Thugs or Federal agents).

Most of them are tough talkers who fancy themselves as great "patriots".  What they fail to realize is that they comprise a small sect of the "radical fringe" and aren't patriots in any sense of the word.  They despise our government, our country and tirelessly post about how it sucks.  I suspect many of them are thinly veiled Anarchists and other anti-government types.  You're average uneducated morons who look to lash out at anyone of authority... and who desperately want to have meaning in their otherwise meaningless lives.  So they play Rambo on the weekends with their fellow trailer dwellers, drink Schlitz beer and talk about the end of the world.

It's only fitting one of these kooks goes postal and the others talk about how patriotic he is for trying to kill a police officer doing his job.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 8:01:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Here's hoping it ends without a shootout, that would look bad for us all.
View Quote

Shootouts are [b]way[/b] out of style these
days.  I hope it doesn't end up in another
[b]BBQ[/b].
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 8:24:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 8:30:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Any word on the condition of the cop?
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 8:45:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 8:59:01 AM EDT
[#19]
MIDDLESBORO -- Police continued searching last night for a former militia member who allegedly shot up a Bell County patrol car Sunday and then escaped into the mountains with several weapons, including an assault rifle and perhaps grenades.

Officials say Steve H. Anderson, 54, shot at police after a traffic stop for having non-working taillights on his pickup. No one was hurt and Anderson escaped by driving the truck off-road into the mountains off U.S. 25E just north of Middlesboro after a gunbattle with police, according to officers.

Police discovered two pipe bombs in the truck early yesterday, prompting federal and state law enforcement officials, including the FBI and ATF, to surround Anderson's home near the Elrod community in rural Pulaski County. A search of the home is expected today.

As of late last night, Anderson -- who police say apparently has military experience and survival training -- remained at large with a considerable amount of firepower. ``He appeared to be loaded full tilt,'' said Deputy John Hoskins of the Bell County Sheriff's Department.

According to the Bell County Sheriff's Office, the incident began at 8:15 p.m. Sunday, when Deputy Scott Elder stopped Anderson's vehicle about the taillights.

Elder approached Anderson and asked for his driver's license and explained about the lights. Anderson refused to cooperate, and Elder noticed an ammunition magazine lying in the truck seat, police said.

The Kentucky State Police said Anderson told Elder he was a member of the Kentucky State Militia -- an organization that disavowed him earlier this year -- and was on patrol.

When Elder asked Anderson whether he had weapons, Elder said Anderson responded, ``I have several,'' and began to get out of the vehicle. Elder then ran behind his vehicle as Anderson began firing an assault rifle at the patrol car, according to police.

``He tried to cut it in half,'' Hoskins said.

Anderson then drove off northbound on U.S. 25E, and Elder followed. Anderson made a U-turn and began following Elder and shooting at him again, police said. Those shots disabled Elder's car, and a Pineville city police officer picked up the chase.

Police returned fire, with Elder nearly emptying his clip.

Anderson continued to fire at the officer, police said, and then drove into the mountains, eventually finding an unpaved path that the police cruiser couldn't follow.

Over the next several hours, members of the state police Special Response Team searched for Anderson on the ground, while officers in a helicopter equipped with heat-seeking devices and spotlights searched from the air. Police evacuated several homes around the search site Sunday night, but most people were allowed to return by yesterday morning.

At 5:30 a.m. Monday, police found Anderson's truck about 100 feet over an embankment. Police found little of the ammunition Elder had seen in the truck, but did find two pipe bombs. The state police bomb squad was called to the site.

Police said they thought Anderson's arsenal included grenades. They found no blood or other evidence in Anderson's truck that he had been hit.

Anderson has a criminal record. In September 1993, he was charged with two counts of first-degree wanton endangerment, court records show. In 1994, one of the felony charges was dropped and he pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of wanton endangerment second degree.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 8:59:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Cont'd

He received a one-year suspended sentence. Details of that case weren't available yesterday.

Anderson is better known for a controversial short-wave radio program, The Militia Hour, which broadcasts militia-related news and features Anderson's views, which range from denouncing gun control to criticizing the U.S. government to blasting religious minorities. Anderson identifies himself as a follower of the Christian Identity movement, which claims that Jews are the offspring of the devil.

Earlier this year, the Federal Communications Commission began an investigation of Anderson for broadcasting without a license. FCC officials would not comment on the status of that investigation yesterday.

Anderson, who had previously served as a major with the Kentucky State Militia, was kicked out of the group in April for several on-air comments regarding religious and ethnic minorities.

``We pretty much disassociated with him completely,'' Patrick Perry of Murray, an assistant commander of the group, said yesterday. ``He's a little too extreme for us.''

That view was shared among Anderson's neighbors.

Lanta Turner said Anderson sometimes talked to neighbors about his anti-government and racist views. ``He's got a lot of opinions,'' Turner said. ``Most of them nobody agrees with.''

Those opinions also got Anderson into trouble with the militia, whose former commander sent a letter to the FBI in April warning officials about him.

``His views are pretty extreme,'' said Richard Stephens, a militia commander in Paducah. ``He's a racist and a very paranoid fellow. Actually, I'm surprised he hasn't been killed yet.''

Link Posted: 10/16/2001 9:08:00 AM EDT
[#21]
AssaultWeb began as a semi-disgruntled spin off of AK-47dotNET.  When it spun off, I became a member as well as several of the normal posters were extremely AK literate.  Almost as soon as it started, it became ultra right wing Christian and a normal hangout for tinfoil hat types.  I stopped posting there many months ago...  Lots of guys there are looking for a personal war.  I guess one found it!

This guy has sounded like bad news for a while.  This really shows the group that there are indeed some bad seeds on these boards.  I saw that one of the other posters on AW gave the guy credit for not being a keyboard cowboy.  What a loser!
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 9:10:43 AM EDT
[#22]
I read this in our morning paper today and thought "this is just great!"[V] Because some of us are going to do some back woods hiking and camping and shooting in the very area that this loon is at this weekend! I know of the road where he ditched his pick up is at.

I wonder if we should re-think this camping trip for Saturday/Sunday unless they catch him? Or should we brush up on our tracking skills this weekend and help out with the search?[;)]
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 9:15:30 AM EDT
[#23]
How do you like how the officer nearly emptied his "clip"
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 9:19:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 9:41:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
How do you like how the officer nearly emptied his "clip"
View Quote

Yeah, I didn't know that the KY state police issues Garands to their officers. [:D]

Anyway, this guy is a nutbar. I post fairly regularly on AW.net. There are a handful of others there like this guy. I dont recall seeing any posts by him, but I dont ever go to the Militia or Religious forums. I try to stay away from those discussions and stick with the regular gun threads in General Discussion forum. I hope they catch him.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 9:58:55 AM EDT
[#26]
I post fairly regularly on Assault Web.
Mostly to the General Discussion Areas on Weaponry.
I find it rather tame, though somewhat more supportive of Freedom of Speech than AR15.com
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 10:10:00 AM EDT
[#27]
i mod on the "ar & m" forum over on assaultweb. there is no difference between that forum and...oh...say...the "troubleshooting" forum here.

assaultweb has some fine people posting over there. it's too bad the extemists are giving it a bad rep.

driftpunch, it's been awhile! how ya doing?
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 12:44:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Ok I just went by the mountain again. Looks like the Police have decided to go after him up the mtn on foot. There is still about a dozen empty cruisers at the foot of it but now there is a empty black sedan (prolly fbi) and a black suburban (who knows). The man who got out of the black burb was decked out in a BDU and some folks said he had an m16 but i can't confirm personally what rifle it was. I hope this guy has sobered up or come to his senses and gives himself up to a local cop. Last night the Ky national guard went up in a chopper with the body heat sensing thingy on it but i don't think it found anything. The local paper today had pics of Scott's cruiser, it looked like it got peppered pretty good. He's fine though.

Wtf is wrong with that guy anyway? He woulda got off with a warning I'm sure. The Sheriff's dept around here isn't much on handing out tickets. There is about 7 houses up on the mtn and I dunno if folks are back in their homes yet but the police pulled thme outside yesterday to make sure everyone was alright.

I just wish the guy would turn himself in before he gets himself and a lot of other guys killed over something stupid like a tail light.

Btw, the paper said the he had "a lot of auto rifles and ammo in the truck." The FBI has taken the truck and the pipe bombs for investigation.

Diesel <-- Fair and balanced news, and as long as this guy goes to jail....unbiased.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 1:13:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Doing fine Campy!

You have to admit that there is a bit more aggression over there!  The last time I was there as a poster was when there was a bunch of "real men love Jesus" or "Who here loves Jesus" posts.  Any non affirmative response got you flames.  Whatever!  Another issue that on average is worse on AW than it is here is an irrational fear of the UN and Kofi.  I don't say that because I like/agree with them, but because they are almost completely impotent.  Not a group to stay awake at night thinking about.

I'd just rather talk weapons and shooting with a little politics mixed in rather than the other way around.

Link Posted: 10/16/2001 1:16:37 PM EDT
[#30]
I quite posting at Assault Web right about the time people were discussing banning me for being too normal. Ok maybe the trailer trash comments went a little too far.... Anyway, there are some great people there, but there are a lot of religious fanatics and kooks there too. I don't know about the rest of you, but I have no desire to blow up an abortion clinic or anything like that.  In fact I would like to shoot people who are trying to blow up an abortion clinic.  The only thing that ever united me with other people at that site was my desire to own a firearm and to be free (and as I found out a lot of them don't believe in freedom, only a different form of oppression).

I tried to organize a non-violent protest there once and was roundly criticized and insulted for my suggestion.  The people there don't want to win.  They want to die fighting. Well that's all and good, but I'd rather be alive at the end of the day (with my firearm ownership rights preserved). There are a lot of people there who are going to end up in prison or dead just like Col Steve is going to end up.

I hope he surrenders without violence, but I doubt that he will.  What can you say, except for ce la vie.  

-SS
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 2:22:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Anderson has a criminal record. In September 1993, he was charged with two counts of first-degree wanton endangerment, court records show. In 1994, one of the felony charges was dropped and he pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of wanton endangerment second degree.
View Quote

Oh great!!! The anti's will be all over this one. They'll be screaming that gunshows be shut down. registration and tougher background checks.

Reason: Having a record(even a suspended sentence) he was not suppose to be able to access firearms.

Lovely, just lovely.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 2:24:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 4:27:38 PM EDT
[#33]
I stopped posting over there after they banned me for being so irritating in reminding them that they had made an avowed racist a moderator of his own forum.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 4:57:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Over the weekend when this site was down,myself and several others from here replied to a few threads on Ass Web.There seemed to be alot of inuendo that we was'nt welcome.I won't be going back.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 5:02:01 PM EDT
[#35]
I recently discovered a site called "A Well Regulated Militia...".  I was interested in getting the real deal on the militia in my area.  Anyway, those folks are a little extreme for me.  They've been ranting and raving about what a bad rap this guy is getting and what a hero he is for fighting the establishment.  Scary stuff.  I'm open to the occasional conspiracy theory, but they get a little extreme for my tastes.

Bradd
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 5:07:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The local paper today had pics of Scott's cruiser, it looked like it got peppered pretty good.
View Quote

Could you post any related photos here?
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 5:10:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Bradd D:
I recently discovered a site called "A Well Regulated Militia...".  
View Quote

That is Gunnfixr's site and the shooter was a moderator there.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 5:10:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
When Elder asked Anderson whether he had weapons, Elder said Anderson responded, ``I have several,'' and began to get out of the vehicle. Elder then ran behind his vehicle as Anderson began firing an assault rifle at the patrol car, according to police.

``He tried to cut it in half,'' Hoskins said.
View Quote

This jacko has been watching way too much "Blue Thunder" lately.

Cut a car in half with an assault rifle huh?
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 5:19:55 PM EDT
[#39]
There is absolutelty no reason that could justify that  person shooting at the officer. None at all. It doesn't suprise me that Gunfixr is supporting the mans actions in the thread in question.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 5:25:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Hey anyone ever see the "Chips" episode where those two dudes shot up the CHP cruiser?

Weapons used were pump-action shotgun and full auto Tommy Gun.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 6:22:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Damn....I didnt even know there was a militia round here......[peep]
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 6:50:48 PM EDT
[#42]
[img]http://www.wate.com/images/508902_BG1.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 7:56:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Here's a news link with video:
[url]http://www.wate.com/Global/story.asp?S=508902[/url]

My favorite quote from this incident is the anti-everything (except guns and god) types on ass web saying "If Steve wanted to kill that deputy, the deputy would be dead right now..."

Yeah right, I usually put about 10 shots into my buddy's windshield when I'm trying to get his attention...

[img]http://www.wate.com/images/508902_BG2.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 8:01:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Of course he's the best shot they ever saw....... Shooting gets a little more difficult when the "target" is moving and capable of shooting back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top