Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2004 8:37:02 PM EDT
A lot is being made of a few current weapons bans proposals at the state levels, not to mention the federal level.  Would these bans simply put a stop to the future manufacturing of such banned guns....as under the old ban.....or would it also make ownership of pre-ban guns illegal as well?  Say a law passed which made any ownership illegal, do they really believe people are going to flock to their local police station to turn their guns in?  How the hell do they think they could enforce such a law?  If I disobeyed this law.....am I a terrorist?

What is this country coming to?  God Bless our 2nd Amendment and those who defend it.

Peace!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:37:34 PM EDT
[#1]
huh
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:38:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:38:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Was my question not clear?  Sorry
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:39:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:40:01 PM EDT
[#5]
move to Tx where we value Guns and Gun Acessories.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:41:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I think I know what you're asking...

..nope

Lost it, sorry.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:42:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:42:57 PM EDT
[#8]
In order to answer your question about state AWBs where they exist or are proposed, simply see the text of the law.  Many states did have a grandfather clauses, many current proposals don't.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:43:16 PM EDT
[#9]
In theory, the states don't have the power to make ex post facto laws, but that never stops them from trying.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:45:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I am not going to answer your question... instead I will recommend that  first... define what exactly the 1994 AWB actually "banned". This will help you understand most of the issue at hand.

Go to the legal forum of the general section... you will find most of your answers there.

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:48:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
A lot is being made of a few current weapons bans proposals at the state levels, not to mention the federal level.  Would these bans simply put a stop to the future manufacturing of such banned guns....as under the old ban.....or would it also make ownership of pre-ban guns illegal as well?

They can pass whatever they
want. They do not have to add
a grandfather clause.

Quoted:
Say a law passed which made any ownership illegal, do they really believe people are going to flock to their local police station to turn their guns in?  How the hell do they think they could enforce such a law?  If I disobeyed this law.....am I a terrorist?

Yes, look at NY, MA, CA, etc.
Again, look at NY, MA, CA, etc.
I don't know, are you a terrorist?

Quoted:
What is this country coming to?

"Two roads diverged in a yellow
wood"

We'll see what road is taken on
November 2.

Quoted:
God Bless our 2nd Amendment and those who defend it.

Damn straight. Welcome!

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:49:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:57:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, I suppose I'm rambling somewhat.  The mutterings of an old man.  But as I understand it, John Kerry is currenlty a co-sponsor of S.1431 and this legislation would expand on the definiton as to what is considered an assault weapon.  On top of that, I understand that a politician in Michigan (whose name escapes me) wants to pass a law that would basically require peolple to register such defined weapons and the owners would have to be subject to yearly inspections of whichever premises where they are stored.  I'm not saying such legislation would pass.  I guess I was just curious if anyone would even consider obeying such intrusive laws should they ever pass.

I am still new to this board and I'll eventually figure out what to post and what not to post.  Perhaps this will be my first leason.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:00:47 PM EDT
[#14]
What's an "assault weapon" and what's an "assault weapons ban"?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:01:43 PM EDT
[#15]
No.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:06:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Your post is fine... I apologize for my short reply.

The reason some of us may seem a little edgy is due the high number of s we have been getting recently.  You seem alright. Welcome to the forum!

And to answer your question... will I give up my firearms or register them... only from my cold dead hands.

If we all follow this, the Gov't will have to think twice about doing it. As for the states doing it... well that is their perogative, but they shouldn't complain when all the good people (and their tax contributions) leave.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:14:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the kind words Hank, ...and all the others who have welcomed me.  I realize you've probably answered a million of these questions and so they must get old.  I've only recently awoken to what these pro-ban freaks are actually up to and I'm enraged by it.   I'm just trying to become a little less ignorant on the subject matter.    Thanks again!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:17:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Was my question not clear?

Yes.

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:23:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Welcome to the Forum!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:27:43 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Thanks for the kind words Hank, ...and all the others who have welcomed me.  I realize you've probably answered a million of these questions and so they must get old.  I've only recently awoken to what these pro-ban freaks are actually up to and I'm enraged by it.   I'm just trying to become a little less ignorant on the subject matter.    

Thanks again!

Your welcome! and feel free to post pics of your favorite zombie zapper!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:07:54 PM EDT
[#21]
the lack of  a grandfather clause makes it much more unlikely that a bill would ever pass.

Right now, on a federal level, don't look for an AWB any time soon. In the unlikely event El Dorko wins, the bill still has to get out of the house, which means it has to get past the judiciary committee, which is controlled by jim sensenbrenner, who is A rated by the NRA.

That ain't gonna happen.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:09:43 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
the lack of  a grandfather clause makes it much more unlikely that a bill would ever pass.

Right now, on a federal level, don't look for an AWB any time soon. In the unlikely event El Dorko wins, the bill still has to get out of the house, which means it has to get past the judiciary committee, which is controlled by jim sensenbrenner, who is A rated by the NRA.

That ain't gonna happen.

excellent!  thanks
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:47:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Yeah, there are several current examples of what to expect.  The post about non-compliance in CA is one.  Also look at the HUGE level of non-compliance in Canada (including official, open defiance on the provincial level) in response to the Canadian gun registry.  There are known to be compliance "problems" in Australia as well.
This is one of the really huge hurdles to gun control and registration in any state or country.  We've discussed frequently on this forum the inclinations of "most" gun owners to sheepishly obey even the most egregious violations of our civil liberties, but is this REALLY true.  Probably most gun owners would have a genuine problem with leveling a loaded firearm at their local cop, but don't underestimate the power of passive resistance.  My bet is that simple non-compliance with laws deemed unreasonable would (and will and does) add up to a very significant obstacle to gun control in this country.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:55:31 AM EDT
[#24]
The_Sgt_Rock,

We're ok in Missouri............for now.  Just make sure and vote.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top