Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2004 6:19:02 AM EDT
I know I can buy this right now. All it has is a detach clip.

But what I want to buy is this.  As I read the AWB, I think its illegal as it has pistol grip, folding stock, and detach clip.

My question is, can I buy the second one after the ban sunsets? Is that folding stock and pistol grip stuff only banned by the awb or does some other federal law apply to such features as well?

If I can buy the second one after the ban sunsets, can I legally purchase it, but have a ffl hold it for me?  Don't want the JBT's to throw my ass in jail.

any info would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:40:46 AM EDT
[#1]
after the ban you can get the good one
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 7:01:46 AM EDT
[#2]
You'll have to have it converted and US-partsed, as they won't be importable for civvy use (89 import ban)...

www.ak-103.com (AK-USA) does this for the Saiga rifles, I see no reason why they won't do it for the shotguns...

Oh, and you'll be able to buy 8rd shotgun mags, too...
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 4:16:44 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks for the link.  

Does that mean it needs a certain number of domestic parts to not be considered an import?

Link Posted: 8/16/2004 11:55:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 10:16:30 AM EDT
[#5]
My concern is that eventually the ATF will define a feature set that classifies a SG as a DD.    Once the AWB does go away, we'll be able to legally make SG's that are functionally equivalent  as those that were already declared DD by name.

Rocko
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 5:12:48 PM EDT
[#6]
yeah, its my understanding that the streetsweeper is functionally no different than the saiga 12 aside from magazine capacity. So really the only thing keeping them from declaring the saiga 12 a dd is that it looks enough like a traditional shotgun and it accepts 5 round clips(though I've heard that you can modify a different 8 round shotgun clip to fit in the saiga 12).

fortunately, once the awb goes away so does all the atf opinion letters that cited the awb as their basis.

heres a question: If I ordered a saiga 12 with the evil features(after the ban lapse of course) and upon its arrival, had my gunsmith install enough US components to make it comply with import laws, would that be legal?  Or can it even be delivered into the US with too many russian components?

Or would it be cheaper/easier just to buy a basic saiga 12 from a domestic dealer and modify it however I want to?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:44:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I would leave the gun in the first configuration if I were to play shoot the burglar. A prosecutor would have a field day with the second configuration. My house gun is a mossberg 500 in 12 gauge with a 20 inch barrel and wood stocks. No reason to scare some idiot in the Jury box.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:02:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

heres a question: If I ordered a saiga 12 with the evil features(after the ban lapse of course) and upon its arrival, had my gunsmith install enough US components to make it comply with import laws, would that be legal?  Or can it even be delivered into the US with too many russian components?

Or would it be cheaper/easier just to buy a basic saiga 12 from a domestic dealer and modify it however I want to?

If you had one converted it would have to be assembled with some non imported parts in order to comply with 18 U.S.C. section 922(r).  If you were to buy a factory Saiga 12-C you would not have to have any non imported parts, it would be legit as is, under Federal law that is, milage may vary according to State law.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:14:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:03:54 PM EDT
[#10]
er... what is it?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:15:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I know I can buy this right now. All it has is a detach clip magazine.
www.izhmash.ru/pix/saiga12.jpg

I think it was Jeff Cooper who said, "if it CONTAINS a spring it's called a magazine, if it IS a spring it's called  a clip"
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:47:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Concider one of these???
img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/Girlieman/valtro1_sm.jpg

The short barrel makes it a no-no without the proper permit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top