Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 10/7/2002 6:15:37 PM EDT
I heard a reporter use the term assasin, just wondering if anybody knows the difference. Thanks
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 6:31:57 PM EDT
Here's my understanding... 1) Assassins usually targets VIPs and they are often hired for the job or are fanatics. 2) Sniper is usually military or police who shoots long distance.
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 6:36:49 PM EDT
Snipers are on your side, assassins are on the other side.
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 6:52:36 PM EDT
2 different terms: An assassin is someone who kills for political or monetary reasons. A sniper is someone who attacks by sniping - long range, precision shooting (weather military, police, or criminal). So Oswald was both, however the guy who shot Reagan was just an assasin (since he, IIRC, used a pistol), and the SWAT officer sent to 'resolve' a hostage crisis with his .300 Win-Mag AWM is purely a sniper.
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 8:28:17 PM EDT
An Assassin..(Lon Hourichi) kills Women and Children..... A Sniper Kills other Combatants
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 8:29:48 PM EDT
In a War
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 1:31:36 AM EDT
An assassin is just a catch-all phrase for a murderer who kills his target deliberatly, pre-meditatively. Sirhan Sirhan assassinated Kennedy, but he wasn't paid for it. Doesn't change the fact he was an assassin.
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 9:10:59 AM EDT
Not important they should call him what he is "nutcase killer"
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 9:12:35 AM EDT
Sniper is a good guy unless he is an enemy sniper...for these scum bag murdering filth to be called snipers is a grave injustice to our guys..who put their lives on the lines to save our own.. Assassin from the Arabic word Hashshashin ..those who use the drug hashish and murdered innocents or political foes of the Hashimite kings...a secret society of Moslems (muslims) who assassinated innocents or rivals of the Hashimite Kings..
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 9:16:30 AM EDT
An assassin would be skilled in other methods of killing besides firearms.
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 9:34:55 AM EDT
An assassin can kill by any means; it's not the killer who determines whether the murderer is an assassin, but the victim. If the victim is an elected official, head of state, or other prominent person, the killer is termed an "assassin". A sniper is someone who takes long range shots with a precision rifle. Doesn't matter who they're shooting at, although a sniper may also be an assassin if the target is an elected official, etc. John Wilkes Booth and Lee Harvey Oswald were both assassins, but only Oswald was a sniper.
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 9:58:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/8/2002 10:19:16 AM EDT by Benjamin0001]
When I brought up the thoery that it was an Assassin, I meant it from a mindset point of view. Even thought the victims are clearly not heads of state they are something. My view rests on this. Here in America we view every single human life as important in some form or fashion. It is not only Humane it is also Distincly American. Because here in America each and every single individual has the "Potential" to be anything they want to be. From Burger Flipper to President of the United States. That puts all Americans on the same footing at least when they are born. But You see here in America regardless of where a person ends up they still have dreams of what they are to do next. We are a free people. And we all have Merit. So In America every person is as important as the president himself to at least some one person , Group or Family. So when someone assassinates Americans, it is taken very very hard, because to US ,EACH AND EVERYONE OF US IS IMPORTANT. An Assassin can assinate a head of state and try to topple the government. Here in America it wouldn't work and does not work. But on the flipside of the Same coin. Assassinate individual Americans and it will have the same effect as if they assassinated a head of state. That is where I am comming from. Because I think the world is not blind to how we treat and think about one another here in this Country. Here in America they don't have to kill the president to create mass Anger, Hatred or Sorrow or Fear. They can kill a Burger Flipper and get the same affect... I think these Terrorists know this. And I think the perps are using it. Yes I think the perps are Assassins, even though their targets are not heads of state. Benjamin
Top Top