Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 10/21/2004 4:51:08 PM EST
So I just got out of AIT, and they're sending me to germany(my whole ait platoon was pissed at me, most of them went to Ft Drum, poor bastards). Anyway, I'm wondering what kind of knife I could carry off post. I'm partial to butterfly knives, but I'd also like to know if I should look out for for any weird laws(I don't want to go to jail for my leatherman, or something odd like that).
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 4:51:52 PM EST
You own a Leatherman?

Sly
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 4:52:18 PM EST
buy there. German knives are some of the best.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 4:55:12 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/21/2004 4:55:27 PM EST by Happyshooter]
Watch out for turks and black africans 100%.

The hermans are anti as anti can be, so don't carry anything good off post because it will be against the law.

Count on the turks carrying knifes. The black africans will just try to knock you down and kick you. Avoid them both.

Other than that, it is a great country as long as you love old buildings, great beer, brats, and loose women with hairy legs and pits.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:01:17 PM EST

Originally Posted By Happyshooter:

The hermans are anti as anti can be, so don't carry anything good off post because it will be against the law.

Count on the turks carrying knifes. The black africans will just try to knock you down and kick you. Avoid them both.

Other than that, it is a great country as long as you love old buildings, great beer, brats, and loose women with hairy legs and pits.

+1

I carried a 16" ASP baton on my belt (under my shirt) while off post.
I also brought back a really nice switchblade IN MY CARRY-ON BAG by mistake. This was in 1996.

The only real problem I had with Germany was that they passed the AWB while I was there, and I didn't have a chance to buy a pre-ban. (I had the disease even then.)
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:18:21 PM EST
Dude what you need to do is find some of the same type of fellow americans I did when I was stationed there....let just say we were called the dirty turk crew Yep kicked some major ass on those f@cks but be very very aware as they carry knives and will not hesitate to take it to you and a buddy if its 10 on two. Man what good time over there!!! The Morocans are bad as well, stay away from the sleezy back hole in the wall black african women brothels you'll just get iced in the alley. Good luck and have a lot of fun, the first German girl you see tell her ?Mine nilla ist grosse" she'll love you for it!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:26:54 PM EST
enjoy the food... eat lots of it - some of the best in Europe
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:30:19 PM EST
You can't carry anything there that you can't carry here. But you can buy switchblades at the Bahnhof (atleast that's where I bought mine). It's still illegal to "carry" them. And a great many of the clubs frequented by troops will frisk or use a metal detector before entering.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:57:19 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/21/2004 9:01:16 PM EST by dogear]
Maybe a good pepper spray is allowed. Also a roll of nickels or quarters in each hand make hands of stone and would come in handy after the spray. I had a great time there in '72, right after 5 months TDY in Thailand----now that was a WILD time!!!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:21:00 PM EST
When you get over here, just go to the camping section of the nearest PX or even most of the shopette's. They have every Gerber, SOG, Spyderco, Buck you could ever want. I'm stationed in Ansbach so if you have anymore questions feel free to send me an IM.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:57:48 AM EST

Originally Posted By sk1911:
When you get over here, just go to the camping section of the nearest PX or even most of the shopette's. They have every Gerber, SOG, Spyderco, Buck you could ever want. I'm stationed in Ansbach so if you have anymore questions feel free to send me an IM.

+1 I was in Schweinfurt, good babes/beer
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:06:27 AM EST
I was at Ramstien for two years.... but I was only like 10 years old... hehehe

Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:52:15 AM EST

Originally Posted By GunSlingAR:

Originally Posted By Happyshooter:

+1

I also brought back a really nice switchblade IN MY CARRY-ON BAG by mistake. This was in 1996.

The only real problem I had with Germany was that they passed the AWB while I was there, and I didn't have a chance to buy a pre-ban. (I had the disease even then.)

Even if you bought a pre-ban in Germany, you might not have been able to bring it home. It would be considered as importation of a non-sporting weapon. When I left in 1992, there were a number of ARs that were resold to the Hanua Rod and Gun because the owner couldn't get permission to re-import the rifle back to the use.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:53:37 AM EST
You'll love the country! I miss it desperately. Eat a rindswurst for me and enjoy your stay.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 3:33:32 PM EST

Originally Posted By MuzlFlash:
So I just got out of AIT, and they're sending me to germany(my whole ait platoon was pissed at me, most of them went to Ft Drum, poor bastards). Anyway, I'm wondering what kind of knife I could carry off post. I'm partial to butterfly knives, but I'd also like to know if I should look out for for any weird laws(I don't want to go to jail for my leatherman, or something odd like that).

I was there in '71. I carried a Nam issue survival knife under my shirt. The place (Bremmerhaven) was pretty cool! Everyone was drunk and cute prostitutes were everywhere, even sitting in 'windows! I suspect things have changed since then.
BTW,.... be safe!
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 3:38:28 PM EST

Originally Posted By HeldHostage:
You'll love the country! I miss it desperately. Eat a rindswurst for me and enjoy your stay.

+2
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 4:35:52 PM EST
I lived there the year that they won the World Soccer Championship and then not long there after the Wall came down and the Easties flooded in, then Saddam invaded Kuwait and the Yugoslav genocide began. Ahh what a time! Carry a knife, hah a lot of us did. Theres no gestapo at every corner waiting for a crime or security breech then. Cops were seldom seen unless called for. I lived in a small city near Neuss and a short comute to Dusseldorf. And guns, oh yeah, plenty have them, they're just not as public about them. Some of the most impressive collections and histories of guns I saw there in museums and private collections. Every so often on a private wine run we'd run into a collector. Man those were some great memories. Great food, great atmosphere, cool people
beautiful country.

Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:14:40 PM EST

Originally Posted By SJSAMPLE:

+1

Even if you bought a pre-ban in Germany, you might not have been able to bring it home. It would be considered as importation of a non-sporting weapon. When I left in 1992, there were a number of ARs that were resold to the Hanua Rod and Gun because the owner couldn't get permission to re-import the rifle back to the use.

Right. That was why I was mad. I couldn't get home to buy one, and I found out about the ban too late to get someone to buy one at a reasonable price.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:15:44 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/22/2004 7:16:41 PM EST by GunSlingAR]

Originally Posted By CB1:

Schweinfurt! I was a tanker in 1/4 Cav (well, 3/4 Cav before it reflagged).
Did many a drunken stagger back from the Rock Fabrik.

Edited to add: Jan '93 - April '96.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 10:40:46 AM EST

Originally Posted By CB1:

Schweinfurt! I was a tanker in 1/4 Cav (well, 3/4 Cav before it reflagged).
Did many a drunken stagger back from the Rock Fabrik.

Edited to add: Jan '93 - April '96.

I don't know if it was still there... We swam back from Zpahons quite often.

D 2/30 3rd ID 86-87
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 11:13:18 AM EST
I was there from January 2000-December 2002...........I carried a MOD autoknife on me most of the time but I wouldn't recommend carrying an expensive autoknife in retrospect. Expensive and certain laws come into play - and not really needed. One of the guys in my unit got the shit beat out of him by some Turks while he was at an ATM. Europe is an Al Queda cesspool and the Turks (mainly the younger ones) usually HATE Americans. They have no problem stabbing you multiple times - so stay away from their areas and travel in groups. I never had any problems there - but watch your ass. Instant message or email me if you are going to be stationed in southern Germany near Friedberg, Geissen, or Frankfurt/Rhein Main........I have a German buddy over there who speaks perfect English and who does a lot of shooting at German civilian gun ranges there. Get to know some German gun owners in your off duty time. I was able to swap/trade with them stuff I ordered through my US APO address. No profit or anything - just helping each other out. I got all the Sig mags I could ever want and a never ending supply of free beer and bullets there. It was definitely worth getting off base and going to the German civilian gun ranges.

If you go after the hookers - stay away from the big cities. Frankfurt is nasty - as is the Red Light. Go to Aphenbach (spelling?) near Geissen/Butzbach to a place called "The Atlantis" - the best brothel in Germany - not that I would know................."They say" that the Atlantis has an awesome selection of girls and the place is high class with proper medical checks done and all.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 12:51:43 PM EST

I'm stationed in Ansbach .......................

Right on........I was in Katterbach from 88 to 93!
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 12:58:21 PM EST
+1 on stay the fuck away from Turks. One of my good friends got caught on the U-bahn alone late one evening in Berlin and got sliced to ribbons by those fucks. They're like a certain other ethnic group in the U.S. - no problem as long as they don't SIGNIFICANTLY outnumber you...then they get brave.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 3:09:47 PM EST

Originally Posted By MuzlFlash:
I'm partial to butterfly knives, but I'd also like to know if I should look out for for any weird laws(I don't want to go to jail for my leatherman, or something odd like that).

Butterfly knives are illegal since April 2003. Switchblades are okay, blade length must be 3" or less though.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 3:21:11 PM EST
Germany is more dangerous than it used to be but don't think for a second it is more dangerous than a major U.S. city overall.

The problem with Germany is as an American you will have trouble using your sixth sense to spot danger because everything is foreign to you. In American cities you can pretty much tell where to stay away from because of your experiences. In Germany you have to learn this over again.

Oh and stay the hell away from the Hauptbahnhof (train station) in Hamburg.

Pretty much everybody under the age of 35 or so speaks passable English, but as we don't like those who don't try to learn English in America, you should also be willing to learn the languages of other countries if you can.
Top Top