Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/28/2012 6:11:29 AM EDT
Sitting at my desk, slow day. Phone rings from time to time, so I'll be on/off in answering questions.

I'll try to answer every one I can, even the stupid ones.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:15:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Jobs; tractor & ag mech repair?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:16:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Whats the reson for walking beams? Why need them?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:17:35 AM EDT
[#3]
You have any Pmags instock?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:18:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I am fresh recently out of college, and just returned from a harvest run in ND. Now I am trying to land a job with Case, Agco, or John Deere hopefully in marketing. Any tips for a on how to get an edge over all the other canidates applying for the same position?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:23:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Why are all the aftermarket parts crap? I restored a 48 8N and most all the TSC parts i bought for it failed (coil, plug wires, points/condenser etc etc).
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:30:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Jobs; tractor & ag mech repair?

Not sure I understand the question?

Compact to mid size tractors. 22-100 Horsepower.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:31:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Whats the reson for walking beams? Why need them?

The only suspension is the tire.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:31:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You have any Pmags instock?

No
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:33:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I am fresh recently out of college, and just returned from a harvest run in ND. Now I am trying to land a job with Case, Agco, or John Deere hopefully in marketing. Any tips for a on how to get an edge over all the other canidates applying for the same position?

Tractor knowledge is secondary. Be a people person, and know how to bring your product to the customer. You aren't selling energy drinks, the customers in this industry don't respond well to hot half naked chicks crawling all over tractors. Trust me.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:33:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Why are you here and not there? ------------------> http://www.tractorbynet.com
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:34:45 AM EDT
[#11]
it's cold and raining outside , should i go out and clean my fish pond ?

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:35:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Why are all the aftermarket parts crap? I restored a 48 8N and most all the TSC parts i bought for it failed (coil, plug wires, points/condenser etc etc).

I couldn't tell you. There are no aftermarket parts for my line, except some of the older (60's-late 80's) International aftermarket parts might cross over.

They probably suck because there's a market for them, but the manufacturers won't certify them. Can you find NOS or new manufacture parts from New Holland? Might be more expensive, but worth a shot.

Just hit me that you're running a gas burner. I can't answer your question at all.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:36:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Why are you here and not there? ------------------> http://www.tractorbynet.com

We have people there, namely our marketing folks. They can speak for the company, I really "can't" but I'm not trying to sell units here. Just answering questions that folks might have had on their brainz.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:37:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
it's cold and raining outside , should i go out and clean my fish pond ?  

Isn't that like every day over there? Just go swimming and enjoy yourself. Don't let a fish fondle your junk though, they have no soul.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:38:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Do you think you could re-create the forklift used in Aliens?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:39:43 AM EDT
[#16]
How long did it take you to use up all the grandfathered diesel engines?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:40:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Chinese made shit. Look for old tractor guys and see if they have any NOS.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:41:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I couldn't, but I'll talk to product development. Our mother company does have a defense sub-company, anything is possible!
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:41:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Why do rotor raspbars wear so fast?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:42:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Do you work with anything that is powered by two cycle Detroit Diesel engines?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:42:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Some went fast. We still have a few. Nothing "Tier 1" or non tier anymore. I have a handful of Tier 2's, tons of 3's. I can get a T4 anytime.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:42:38 AM EDT
[#22]

Does the SNAP-ON truck visit your shop?

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:43:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Why do rotor raspbars wear so fast?

When you have a dry season, the deer get kinda tough.

Actually, I don't know. I don't do combines.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:43:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Do you work with anything that is powered by two cycle Detroit Diesel engines?

No sir, you're a few hundred horsepower too big. Biggest we have is a Cat/Perkins. 100 HP.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:45:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some went fast. We still have a few. Nothing "Tier 1" or non tier anymore. I have a handful of Tier 2's, tons of 3's. I can get a T4 anytime.

I was in the tractor import business back in the wild west of the 90's. There were more New Old Stock engines being produced than I could count.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:45:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Does the SNAP-ON truck visit your shop?

No, shop guys use Craftsman stuff from Sears. All we do here is final fitment. Stick on loaders, hoes, seats, tires, and steering wheels. Sometimes an auxiliary valve or two, but mostly the factory does that.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:48:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was in the tractor import business back in the wild west of the 90's. There were more New Old Stock engines being produced than I could count.

What brands? Any gray market stuff?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:49:12 AM EDT
[#28]
any advice for someone who is trying to make a break from the automotive parts industry. looking to get in to something a little more specialized, like tractors or large trucks.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:52:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What brands? Any gray market stuff?

Long, Farmtrac, Jinma, Mahindra (prototypes), Tafe, IMT, Fengshou, Shanghai, TaiShan, Fords from Europe/SE Asia.....no gray market stuff.

Worked for Ford/New Holland during the Fiat purchase period.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:52:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
any advice for someone who is trying to make a break from the automotive parts industry. looking to get in to something a little more specialized, like tractors or large trucks.

Tractor parts are seasonal. And very dependent upon the economy.

Large trucks might be better for money. If I weren't working for an OEM, I wouldn't be doing this. No way I could work for a dealership unless I owned it.

No real advice, but if you've got your automotive stuff down pat, you could transition over to tractors very easily, that's what I did.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:55:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Long, Farmtrac, Jinma, Mahindra (prototypes), Tafe, IMT, Fengshou, Shanghai, TaiShan, Fords from Europe/SE Asia.....no gray market stuff.

I'm about 20 miles from the only Mahindra 585 ever. But you brought in 350's and 450's, followed by E40's, 475, 485, and 575. All shipped to the Houston port, right?  I have worked with the two guys that sold the first Mahindras stateside. One passed earlier this year, the other still works for the company. They stories they told of their foray into selling these things in east Texas were hilarious!
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:59:20 AM EDT
[#32]
How many IH receivers do you have in stock?

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:01:58 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Sitting at my desk, slow day. Phone rings from time to time, so I'll be on/off in answering questions.

How much is a dikfer? And also, do you have the little stubby antler that chooches the stovepipe?

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:03:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm about 20 miles from the only Mahindra 585 ever. But you brought in 350's and 450's, followed by E40's, 475, 485, and 575. All shipped to the Houston port, right?  I have worked with the two guys that sold the first Mahindras stateside. One passed earlier this year, the other still works for the company. They stories they told of their foray into selling these things in east Texas were hilarious!

Yeah, these were the old IH-type Mahindras...not the Koreans. I did bring in some of the Korean LG tractors prior to them getting tied up with Long.
Back then people were funny about "foreign tractors". They had no idea where their "American" tractors were actually made. I can't tell you how many times I was lectured/threatened because of it.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:04:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/3734/receiverxw0.jpg

I have tons of bolts, shrouds, and pins for IH's.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:06:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:

How much is a dikfer? And also, do you have the little stubby antler that chooches the stovepipe?  

A Brazilian dollhairs.

Yes.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:06:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

lol.

Not to hijack the OP, but one of the Chinese tractor factories I visited in the 90's also produced AK's. I could have purchased an entire production line and parts for something like $10k. They only ran the line when certain African nations placed an order. Apparently, one of those nations stiffed them on payment, so they were trying to sell off the machinery and parts to raise some funds.

Most of those manufacturers in India and China made cars, trucks, and all sorts of other stuff in the same factory.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:08:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol.

Not to hijack the OP, but one of the Chinese tractor factories I visited in the 90's also produced AK's. I could have purchased an entire production line and parts for something like $10k. They only ran the line when certain African nations placed an order. Apparently, one of those nations stiffed them on payment, so they were trying to sell off the machinery and parts to raise some funds.

Most of those manufacturers in India and China made cars, trucks, and all sorts of other stuff in the same factory.

Yep, same line the Mahindras roll off of used to produce Jeeps for the allied war effort. They tried to get them to the US, but had trouble. Kinda like with the small trucks the past couple of years.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:20:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Bumpski
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:21:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Bumpski

Are you using Great Bend loaders?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:26:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bumpski

Are you using Great Bend loaders?

We haven't since sometime in the late 90's. I still get a parts call for them once in a while, I just send them to BushHog. We were very small when we used GB, and stocked nothing.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:37:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I couldn't tell you. There are no aftermarket parts for my line, except some of the older (60's-late 80's) International aftermarket parts might cross over.

They probably suck because there's a market for them, but the manufacturers won't certify them. Can you find NOS or new manufacture parts from New Holland? Might be more expensive, but worth a shot.

Just hit me that you're running a gas burner. I can't answer your question at all.

I don't know about the electrical parts but for what we sell it is a combination of things.  The OEM's make a lot of their profits off replacement parts and guard that business.  We make money selling them parts.  Pissing off the customer by using information gained from working with them will violate some agreements and really piss them off.  
-Some parts require tooling which we charge the customer for.  If we do this, we will only sell the parts to them or someone they authorize.  
-Often they want an off the shelf part from us but with their markings, which can make it more difficult to cross reference.  
-Sometimes they will just use a catalog part, but even then it can be a lot of work to track down that supplier part #x == John Deere part # y.  For 200 pieces a year, it may not be worth the effort, especially when they still have to go to the dealer for a bunch of other parts to finish the repair.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:38:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I couldn't, but I'll talk to product development. Our mother company does have a defense sub-company, anything is possible!

CNH?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:43:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know about the electrical parts but for what we sell it is a combination of things.  The OEM's make a lot of their profits off replacement parts and guard that business.  We make money selling them parts.  Pissing off the customer by using information gained from working with them will violate some agreements and really piss them off.  
-Some parts require tooling which we charge the customer for.  If we do this, we will only sell the parts to them or someone they authorize.  
-Often they want an off the shelf part from us but with their markings, which can make it more difficult to cross reference.  
-Sometimes they will just use a catalog part, but even then it can be a lot of work to track down that supplier part #x == John Deere part # y.  For 200 pieces a year, it may not be worth the effort, especially when they still have to go to the dealer for a bunch of other parts to finish the repair.

All of this.
Mahindra wants you to buy another tractor every 7 years though. We are working on that.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:46:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CNH?

Mahindra.

Finance, tech, real estate, automotive, marine, defense, aircraft, even vacations. State side is just tractors, but they will eventually bring other industries here.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:47:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CNH?

Mahindra.

Finance, tech, real estate, automotive, marine, defense, aircraft, even vacations. State side is just tractors, but they will eventually bring other industries here.

I didn't realize Mahindra was like Tata (in to everything).
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:14:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:16:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Why does John Deere think their stuff is worth more, ounce for ounce, than gold?

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:41:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Why does John Deere think their stuff is worth more, ounce for ounce, than gold?

Because they can, for the most part. But I haven't priced Deere stuff, so I don't know how far off we are from them on similar products.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:01:52 AM EDT
[#50]
thank you both for your replies. i currently work for a car dealership. please tell me that the quality of people you deal with is better than the morons that i deal with daily.
Quoted:
Quoted:

I transitioned from automotive to medium/heavy duty truck parts.

The OP posted good advice earlier. Product knowledge, while good, is secondary and you'll pick a lot of that up as you go. Be nice to people, be easy to talk to and get along with, everything else will kinda fall into place after that.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top